The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I think I disabled at least a dozen Samsung and/or T-Mobile apps on my Note 7. I understand why I usually buy Nexus devices :eek:

But overall, the device is gorgeous. Used one of the dark Samsung themes with Nova Launcher. So far so good :nod:

Yup

Using "Material Dark" theme (from Cameron Bunch) on my S6 in combination with Nova Launcher

"Vanilla" theme is also a good dark material theme alternative

**** the bright white backgrounds that came with Lollipop

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I think I disabled at least a dozen Samsung and/or T-Mobile apps on my Note 7. I understand why I usually buy Nexus devices :eek:

But overall, the device is gorgeous. Used one of the dark Samsung themes with Nova Launcher. So far so good :nod:

Took me awhile to re-find this image, but someone compared the number of processes on a Nexus 6P vs Sony Z3, LG G4, S6, etc and finally Note 7:

https://imgur.com/a/SbAMB

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4yy3mn/with_the_note_7_samsung_still_delivers/

TL;DR: The Nexus 6P has 12 processes listed under Android system, the Note 7 has 156.

That would like me comparing my computer, to my mom's old PC, with its 100 different programs running at startup, but then her wondering why it booted so slow, but then when I ask "can I just delete that?"

"No, no, I need that."

I understand that Sammy adds cool things like the S pen, but there's got to be a lot of overlap with Google...and the Note 7 in that above comparison probably isn't the Verizon version either.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That S-Pen, tho.

Hopefully Samsung scales back their software even more for next year's release. Tbf, with Exynos variants I've heard of very little problems, whether it's with the Note or S7/S7e. Hopefully the software is scaled back a bit more, or more efficient, because these phones don't have the same resale value as an iPhone would - it's a phone you want to keep for as long as you can and if it starts stuttering and lagging after a few months, it's going to be an even bigger problem once you have the phone for a year, or two years and so on.

That said, I'm still probably going to grab a Note 8 next year.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Lost my nexus 6p today, pretty horrible feeling as it's the first phone I've lost and the first one I've paid outright for.

Is cerberus' tracking fairly accurate? Or could it be off by a few hundred feet?

I lost it on a job site that was moving a lot of material from one place to another. The phone was tracked to an area where one of our work yards is (not to the site where we were hauling). The thing is, our work yard is huge, part of it is a waste material dump/storage.

Tracking shows that it's likely inside the dump which would mean it's lost/burried, but if it's not super accurate it could be in one of the offices. From the pictures taken too I'm not sure if it was hauled away with the waste material because the color is odd, but that could be because of the flash.

This is probably the worst time for this to happen too, with the new nexus devices being released right away the 6p likely would be dropping in price soon, but I can't afford to wait a month or w/e.

I left mine at a Sharks game and it would move from one place to another, but did hit on where it actually was quite often. Not sure if the tracking was off because it was in the arena behind tons of concrete, but I know if was really accurate and hit the right spot most of the times because it was found at my seat, which is on the aisle and it had slid between the left of the seat and the concrete.

If I hadn't called it the guy said he never would have found it. :laugh:

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
I left mine at a Sharks game and it would move from one place to another, but did hit on where it actually was quite often. Not sure if the tracking was off because it was in the arena behind tons of concrete, but I know if was really accurate and hit the right spot most of the times because it was found at my seat, which is on the aisle and it had slid between the left of the seat and the concrete.

If I hadn't called it the guy said he never would have found it. :laugh:

I wasn't so lucky, fairly sure it's burried. Now the battery is now dead so it's RIP.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
All those background processes that run on something like Samsung make me wary of going back to them IF I leave iPhone again. Stock android is a bit too vanilla for my liking, but all the processes eventually take a toll on something like Samsung.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I wasn't so lucky, fairly sure it's burried. Now the battery is now dead so it's RIP.

Sorry to hear that man.

I was so panicked. I was borrowing my brothers spare g3 because I had just cracked the screen on my HTC M8.

I kept seeing the dot move and thought someone had it walking around and wouldn't answer the phone, which I leave unlocked. So I locked it remotely and then saw it bleep back where my seat was, called the Tank's number and the guy helped me out. Nothing like driving back to the Tank after a loss at 2:30 in the morning :doh:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Looking for help here...is anyone here really good at tracking Android crashes, like something similar to Window's event manager?

My issue is that my 6P (MM) is/has been randomly restarting itself, at first I thought maybe I accidentally held down the power button when it was in my pocket while crouching, but it did it couple times while just laying on a table.

The only add-ons I have installed are pro versions of Nova launcher, twilight, light manager, and net guard (since I'm not rooted, I need some way to block ads, sbnation is just awful on mobile). I was using automate for awhile, but that seemed to be flakey/not work, so I just uninstalled it.

Also, while I could sort of deal with the phone restarting while trying to diagnose my issue, the other day when it restarted, it deleted all my paired Bluetooth devices (Moto 360, Honda, headphones, speakers, Misfit), and that did piss me off. It retained everything else, wifi, apps, settings thankfully.

Thinking back to when I did first get the phone, and thinking that all these problems started happening after I installed nova launcher, I've gone back to the Google now launcher, and it's been fine for over a day, but I really wondering if there is a log somewhere when I can see exactly where the phone is crapping itself.

I do like nova launcher though, but if it's killing stability...I know how to get into safe mode as well.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I noticed an issue with my Nexus 6P, when I listen to anything through the earphones the sound quality is very low. I thought that perhaps it was my headphones but I tried them on my wife's iPhone 6 and they work just fine.

This problem is really annoying me, I think it started happening after the latest update and I cannot find a fix for it.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
I noticed an issue with my Nexus 6P, when I listen to anything through the earphones the sound quality is very low. I thought that perhaps it was my headphones but I tried them on my wife's iPhone 6 and they work just fine.

This problem is really annoying me, I think it started happening after the latest update and I cannot find a fix for it.
I used the premium version of PowerAmp to boost the audio with the equalizer. You can also use Viper4Android. Not sure if it will be enough if the newest update reduces it further, but the 6P has low audio output already.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I used the premium version of PowerAmp to boost the audio with the equalizer. You can also use Viper4Android. Not sure if it will be enough if the newest update reduces it further, but the 6P has low audio output already.

I tried PowerAmp already, but I'm not happy with the sound quality when I boost it, it ends up sounding very choppy and somewhat distorted.

This is really frustrating, why would they lower the sound output through the update? At this point I think I'm going to root my phone and resolve it through a mod or something.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I tried PowerAmp already, but I'm not happy with the sound quality when I boost it, it ends up sounding very choppy and somewhat distorted.

This is really frustrating, why would they lower the sound output through the update? At this point I think I'm going to root my phone and resolve it through a mod or something.

Try this. It's worked on my HTC M8 & G2. I forget what to set, but once set it definitely boosted my volume on BT and Music. Never had to touch it again after I got the volume to boost. It may say your phone doesn't have bassboost, but it still worked. Used Power Amp and it's settings from there on out.

DSP Manager & Equalizer Free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hbstudios.dspmanagerfree

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL

I had the same issue on my Nexus 5 after the July update. It affected my notifications... I kept missing phone calls even though the ringtone was on. I think there was a fix somewhere but I never pursued it. The power button on my phone broke a few days after, so I got a new one. Didn't see any issues with my current 5X.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Try this. It's worked on my HTC M8 & G2. I forget what to set, but once set it definitely boosted my volume on BT and Music. Never had to touch it again after I got the volume to boost. It may say your phone doesn't have bassboost, but it still worked. Used Power Amp and it's settings from there on out.

DSP Manager & Equalizer Free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hbstudios.dspmanagerfree

Thank you for the link, just tried it but unfortunately it made no difference at all. This is a very frustrating problem, why would they decrease the volume during the update?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Samsung is apparently going to roll out a mass recall of Galaxy Note 7 devices due to exploding batteries.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The "Nexus" branding is dead. The newest phones this year will be called the Pixel and Pixel XL, according to android police.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Project Ara has been cancelled to "unify hardware projects". I ****ing hate Google sometimes because of things like this, especially considering they made a big deal about a renewed push for the project at I/O

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This recall is a pretty massive setback for Samsung. Everything they've done this year with the S7/S7E has been basically undone, mainly profit-wise. And with the new iPhone coming, it is going to be a huge hit to Samsung. Yet we have so many other Chinese Android companies coming out to NA and they are getting better.

That aside, Sony should be making amazing phones, especially with all the parts are their disposal and have basically said **** it at this point and even NA isn't much of a target for them anymore.

I know, I'm rambling.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
The Sony Xperia XZ is absoulety pathetic. Camera software still sucks, android skin still sucks, will receive almost zero support. They should give up and just solely make camera sensors for other OEMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->