2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So Ive heard a theory a few times in the past couple days that Babcock has purposely changed the entire style of play of the team because of our somewhat stable position in the standings, to experiment with some new stuff and try and teach. Hockey people are saying this, not just randoms.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
So Ive heard a theory a few times in the past couple days that Babcock has purposely changed the entire style of play of the team because of our somewhat stable position in the standings, to experiment with some new stuff and try and teach. Hockey people are saying this, not just randoms.

Could work, or could deflate them. Looking like the latter at present

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Well, it does give him more opportunity to do such things. Just hope he’s learning the right lessons if this is what he’s doing.

Would like to see some more radical line experimentation though

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Well lets hope he doesn't teach them how to drop to around 20th place ! With a few more losses and a few wins by other teams in the standings with less games played could turn out just like that.

That said, there is no way our scoring can dry up any more than it is right now. I also agree with keeping Matthews out until after the Christmas break.

I don't like the results lately but if it builds a solid foundation of scoring and defense/ hybrid rush and dump chase combo that works, thats fine.

Is Keefe implementing the same structures with the Marlies? I certainly hope so.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
At this point of the season, I hope we trade Komarov, and aquire a solid D-man.

Trade Away: Komarov, Leivo, Carrick for multiple picks
Aquire: Quality RHD

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Hyman-Kadri-Brown/Kapanen
Martin-Moore-Kapanen/Brown
Soshnikov

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-RHD
Borgman-Zaitsev
Marincin, Polak

Andersen
McE

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
At this point of the season, I hope we trade Komarov, and aquire a solid D-man.

Trade Away: Komarov, Leivo, Carrick for multiple picks
Aquire: Quality RHD

what quality/solid defenseman are you going to get for those three players?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
On a side note, what a fun season this has been so far. I legitimately feel like we have the ability to beat any team in the NHL... It been a LONGGGG time since I've had that feeling.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We can use picks/prospects as well... I'm thinking a Hainsey type acquisition would be perfect. Last season Pittsburgh got Hainsey for 2nd round pick (+ dumped a contract).

no that was fair, i was just double checking like you mean just a serviceable defenseman, not like. someone posh :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
no that was fair, i was just double checking like you mean just a serviceable defenseman, not like. someone posh :)

A team like Arizona might have an interest in someone like Carrick.

Question is how injured is Hjalmarsson and what would it cost to get him?

Might take a premium but Coyotes don't look like they are going anywhere for the next couple years anyway.

IMO they'd have no interest in rentals, and I'm not sure the Leafs have any interest in moving rentals.

Carrick, pick(s) and prospect(s) ...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
A team like Arizona might have an interest in someone like Carrick.

Question is how injured is Hjalmarsson and what would it cost to get him?

Might take a premium but Coyotes don't look like they are going anywhere for the next couple years anyway.

IMO they'd have no interest in rentals, and I'm not sure the Leafs have any interest in moving rentals.

Carrick, pick(s) and prospect(s) ...

The Leafs should have interest in Connor Carrick. No point in trading him unless its a clear cut top 4 under contract for some time.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
I personally hope we stay the course. Drafting is the best way to get success in this league, and we have, for once, acquired and drafted enough youth to become the envy of other teams in the league.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can you post some proof of people suggesting Babcock could do no wrong or are you just pulling this out of your magic hat?
I don't want to drag up old posts to shame specific people. Most people who follow this board know I'm right, and that we had people saying we couldn't complain since Babcock had us winning games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad