2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
we're also young. so it could be a combination of things. i mean WSH was healthier and i don't know if they have a super duper sports science team.

Yeah it's probably a combination of things. I'm no expert on the subject, it just seems logical that with all our resources to hire the best trainers in the business and the fact that we're so young, injuries shouldn't be much of a concern. Of course there's luck involved and you never know what will happen but but I'd say we have less to worry about then the average team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah it's probably a combination of things. I'm no expert on the subject, it just seems logical that with all our resources to hire the best trainers in the business and the fact that we're so young, injuries shouldn't be much of a concern. Of course there's luck involved and you never know what will happen but but I'd say we have less to worry about then the average team.

agreed :)

Reactions: Gary Nylund

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Yeah, the age of our players do play a part. And perhaps the style of the players to. We got a lot of elusive players on the team who rather use speed and skill to get the kill rather then brute force.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's been decades of frustration for the Leafs fan, even in the era of Pat Burns and Quinn we were never a threat to be a serious contender, it was not even 2 years ago, we were all seriously discussing the rebuild.

What is different now is a turnaround that has come quicker than anyone expected. We now talk about a bit of tweaking to win it all (in fact with a bit of luck we are a serious threat to win it all). Please keep in mind it's a long season and injuries are a big factor for the success of any team, luckily we now have enough depth to fill in the holes (as long as it's not Matthews and Anderson, a lot of you might not agree but I would include Kadri to that list)

The biggest reason for this turnaround is the way we have drafted during the last few years and the way we have explored different markets to sign free agents (Soshnikov, Zaitsev, Rosen, Borgman). The management is committed to explore different avenues and is able to add cost effective assets and instead of relying on veterans, the coaching staff has developed our young guns in to professionals and has created healthy competition

I am trying to keep this short and not going to discuss individuals in detail - here are some of the reasons why I believe this team is going to be a serious threat for years

Forward Lines:
- The core of this team led by Auston Matthews are just the teenagers and are going to be around for numerous years (this team is lucky and blessed to have elite level "C" in Matthews - you can add any names to the list Marner / Nylander
- Our 1st line is explosive and can score in bunches, this line led by Matthews not only can match any top line in the league but is also capable of defending their own zone
- The Kadri's line is one of the best checking line that is capable of going against any line (Marleau is the welcome addition to this line). This line is not only defensively responsible but can put up 150 points as a unit and is one the best line to be on the ice when defending the lead
- Bozak's line is not very good defensively but like our other 2 lines this line is very capable of producing decent offense - JVR and Marner can give give you 60 points and 50 points from Bozak is not over expecting, more over Bozak can win you the important faceoffs (JVR and Bozak are going to be free agents after this season, and I believe there is going to be some tweaking with this line in near future if not this season)
- The 4th is heavily relied on the defensive side and with a 20 goal scorer on this line who is so defensively responsible, you can tell how deep these 4 lines are (please keep in mind that we are so deep that Leivo and Kapanen are still waiting for chance and to be every day players on this roster
- With legitimate 3 offensive lines, it's hard for any team to shut down all 3 lines

Defensive Pairings
While there’s not a legit # 1 or a true stud in the bunch, while none of Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev have reached their potential. Te addition of Ron Hainsey adds experience and stability to this core. The addition of Rosen and Borgman and the emergence of Dermott has given some depth to our bottom pairing and with experience you can turn one (if not all) of them to play on 2nd pairing. We would definitely love to add a stud to this core but we ca still compete with this defense core

GOALTENDING
We now have legit # 1 in Frederik Andersen carrying the bulk (capable of playing something closer to 65 games). Even though Curtis McElhinney is not the ideal backup but he can still give you some good games and wins

COACHING
Mike Babcock - do I need to say any thing (if not the best then one of the best)

Management / Scouting
We all believe in and it is safe to say that they all know how to improve this squad and be competitive every season

There’s no reason why the Leafs can't make the playoffs again, and you can bet there will be disappointment in the organization if they don’t advance past the first round. To me hopefully this going pretty deep in the playoffs)

Any comments / input is more then welcome

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's been decades of frustration for the Leafs fan, even in the era of Pat Burns and Quinn we were never a threat to be a serious contender, it was not even 2 years ago, we were all seriously discussing the rebuild.

What is different now is a turnaround that has come quicker than anyone expected. We now talk about a bit of tweaking to win it all (in fact with a bit of luck we are a serious threat to win it all). Please keep in mind it's a long season and injuries are a big factor for the success of any team, luckily we now have enough depth to fill in the holes (as long as it's not Matthews and Anderson, a lot of you might not agree but I would include Kadri to that list)

The biggest reason for this turnaround is the way we have drafted during the last few and the way we have explored different markets to sign free agents (Soshnikov, Zaitsev, Rosen, Borgman). The management is committed to explore different avenues and is able to add cost effective assets and instead of relying on veterans, the coaching staff has developed our young guns in to professionals and has created healthy competition

I am trying to keep this short and not going to discuss individuals in detail - here are some of the reasons why I believe this team is going to be a serious threat for years

Forward Lines:
- The core of this team led by Auston Matthews are just the teenagers and are going to be around for numerous years (this team is lucky and blessed to have elite level "C" in Matthews - you can add any names to the list Marner / Nylander
- Our 1st line is explosive and can score in bunches, this line led by Matthews not only can match any top line in the league but is also capable of defending their own zone
- The Kadri's line is one of the best checking line that is capable of going against any line (Marleau is the welcome addition to this line). This line is not only defensively responsible but can put up 150 points as a unit and is one the best line to be on the ice when defending the lead
- Bozak's line is not very good defensively but like our other 2 lines this line is very capable of producing decent offense - JVR and Marner can give give you 60 points and 50 points from Bozak is not over expecting, more over Bozak can win you the important faceoffs (JVR and Bozak are going to be free agents after this season, and I believe there is going to be some tweaking with this line in near future if not this season)
- The 4th is heavily relied on the defensive side and with a 20 goal scorer on this line who is so defensively responsible, you can tell how deep these 4 lines are (please keep in mind that we are so deep that Leivo and Kapanen are still waiting for chance and to be every day players on this roster
- With legitimate 3 offensive lines, it's hard for any team to shut down all 3 lines

Defensive Pairings
While there’s not a legit # 1 or a true stud in the bunch, while none of Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev have reached their potential. Te addition of Ron Hainsey adds experience and stability to this core. The addition of Rosen and Borgman and the emergence of Dermott has given some depth to our bottom pairing and with experience you can turn one (if not all) of them to play on 2nd pairing. We would definitely love to add a stud to this core but we ca still compete with this defense core

GOALTENDING
We now have legit # 1 in Frederik Andersen carrying the bulk (capable of playing something closer to 65 games). Even though Curtis McElhinney is not the ideal backup but he can still give you some good games and wins

COACHING
Mike Babcock - do I need to say any thing (if not the best then one of the best)

Management / Scouting
We all believe in and it is safe to say that they all know how to improve this squad and be competitive every season

There’s no reason why the Leafs can't make the playoffs again, and you can bet there will be disappointment in the organization if they don’t advance past the first round. To me hopefully this going pretty deep in the playoffs)

Any comments / input is more then welcome

This is all true, no question we should be contenders for many years to come. Hainsey looked good last night, so did Marleau and now that I know a bit more about Rosen and Borgman ... all this is such good news that we may get to where we're going even quicker than I thought. And what I mean by that is that we may have a better shot at winning it all this season than I thought.

I'm even starting to waver on my trade JVR stance. I've been the biggest proponent of trading him and have been insisting that we can't afford to let 3 UFA's all walk for nothing. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe we should wait for at least a month or two and see where we're at then. If at that point we're one of the top teams in the league then maybe we should go for it. After all, we're going to be paying our big three ~25M per season before long, we're paying them squat now so ...

And before anyone gives me a hard time for waffling on this, I'll say that my favourite quote from the last few years is "the 5 year plan that changes every day". I've always agreed with this, I've always said we should be flexible and willing to adapt and right now, I just feel like we might be better than anyone thought. Then again, we might lose bad Saturday night so all I'm saying is let's keep an open mind and be prepared to re-evaluate on the fly as the season goes on.

I bought a T-shirt a few weeks ago that says "I BELEAF". If you're gonna dream, dream big. And I'm feeling like a dreamer right about now, and in a good way.

Can't wait until Saturday night!

Last edited:
Reactions: Albi34 and MJ65

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Can't really think of a team in the NHL with a better forward group than this team. Just one weapon after another that compliment each other nicely. No shoulder has to bear too much pressure and they can all go out there and relax and play. Andy is looking great and our d group has been upgraded as well. Add on the best coach in the game and man it's a great time to be a Leaf's fan.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is all true, no question we should be contenders for many years to come. Hainsey looked good last night, so did Marleau and now that I know a bit more about Rosen and Borgman ... all this is such good news that we may get to where we're going even quicker than I thought. And what I mean by that is that we may have a better shot at winning it all this season than I thought.

I'm even starting to waver on my trade JVR stance. I've been the biggest proponent of trading him and have been insisting that we can't afford to let 3 UFA's all walk for nothing. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe we should wait for at least a month or two and see where we're at then. If at that point we're one of the top teams in the league then maybe we should go for it. After all, we're going to be paying our big three ~25M per season before long, we're paying them squat now so ...

And before anyone gives me a hard time for waffling on this, I'll say that my favourite quote from the last few years is "the 5 year plan that changes every day". I've always agreed with this, I've always said we should be flexible and willing to adapt and right now, I just feel like we might be better than anyone thought. Then again, we might lose bad Saturday night so all I'm saying is let's keep an open mind and be prepared to re-evaluate on the fly as the season goes on.

I bought a T-shirt a few weeks ago that says "I BELEAF". If you're gonna dream, dream big. And I'm feeling like a dreamer right about now, and in a good way.

Can't wait until Saturday night!

My concern is if Freddie (hopefully not) is injured for some extended period of time then we do not have any one to even fill in that spot, McBackup is good enough for some spot starts but going as a starter for extended period is pretty scary (after him we really have no one in our farm at this time)

We can argue this for any team but I believe we can still find a better replacement

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All teams have concerns. But I think we are way ahead of schedule with a really exciting team. I could not be happier. No one can predict the future, but right now we have a young, highly skilled team that has a good chance to be the most entertaining in the league. And great management. So I'm just going to see back and enjoy it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
My concern is if Freddie (hopefully not) is injured for some extended period of time then we do not have any one to even fill in that spot, McBackup is good enough for some spot starts but going as a starter for extended period is pretty scary (after him we really have no one in our farm at this time)

We can argue this for any team but I believe we can still find a better replacement

i have faith in McBackup. honestly, while i get he doesn't have the sexiest of numbers, I do think he has the ability to be steady. and it's not like we need him to play for like 3 months. and go Condon. We need him to just hold the door. and I feel he can do that. (like if we needed 2 points in 6 games to clinch a playoff spot, I believe that McBackup can get the two points in 6 games).

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Our team is so talented and we have the best talent up front. No team in the world has such greatly roled players and still all that skilly scoring power and touch. Babcock really has the tools now and everybody else in the NHL would like to have what we have right now.
I think our lines too are fantasticly orcestrated. Marleau - Kadri - Komarov really does it all for example. They play against the best, and still score a lot. We have them all. Be aware.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Yeah, I'm ok with the status quo unless Freddy is injured long term. In that case, we would likely have to make a trade for a 1B type goaltender.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
After one game, Marincin is already gone.

The irony is, he did not even play. :skeptic:

Who played was Borgman and Carrick. All through preseason they said Rosen was more ready than those two.

Borgman was good in the first game. He was real good. The bottom pair Borgman and Calle.

Nylander the previous game, every time he had the puck, he had that look, that look like he was going to change this damn game. If he keeps doing that, they will flip positions with Nylander and Bozak.

The Bozak line is a defensive liability, but the Leafs can easily work around that. Always have the top 4 on the ice with that line.

Who was the biggest offense threat last game? I would pick Marleau, because he had three glorious chances in the slot and scored twice. All three times set up by the center.

:help:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Rosen is back as 7th "D" - I beleive we are going to rotate Carrick, Borgman, and Rosen as our bottom pairing "D"

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am not sure if Calvin Pickard is still available (still some time left before the deadline), he is going to be a welcome addition and will stabilize / strengthen our backup goalie situation

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nice. rosen back up, as expected/hoped.

Carrick better watch out.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i'm curious why no one picked him up
so many here seem very high up on him.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Last season Leafs scored total of 250 goals and they were 5th in the league, I believe we should improve our GF total by 20 - 25 goals

1) Penguins 278 GF
2) Wild 263 GA
3) Capitals 261 GF
4) Rangers 253 GF
5) Leafs 250 GF

With the addition of Marleau and our last year's rookies in 2nd season with more experience should be better with goals and total points. Please keep in mind Nylander scored 22 goals and Marner 19 goals (they should score more goals this season)

My projections for our top lines

- Matthews 38 - 43 goals
- Nylander 26 - 30 Goals
- JVR 28 - 32 Goals
- Kadri 25 - 28 Goals
- Marleau 26 - 30 Goals
- Marner 21 -23 Goals
- Bozak 18 - 22 Goals
- Hyman 12 - 15 Goals
- Komarov 12 - 15 Goals
- Brown 13- 16 Goals (I know he is now playing on 4th line)

On the other hand we were 22nd in league in giving up goals (goals against) and gave up 234 goals, we are still not that great defensively but still better and more stabilize and should concede 10 -15 less goals and our GA total should go down to 220 - 225 goals (which is middle of the pack)

I am not sure if I am over analyzing these - it is just a thought

Last edited:

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Can you call up and send down players as you wish between the Leafs and Marlies or do players have to clear waivers?

Can other teams just sign players in the Marlies who don't have Leaf contracts?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking to go to the Toronto - Anaheim game in Feb. Are there any bad seats in the arena that might be for sale that I should avoid?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Can you call up and send down players as you wish between the Leafs and Marlies do players have to clear waivers? - depend some players are waiver exempt and some are not for example if you are sending back Leivo he has to go through waivers but a player like Dermott can be sent back and forth freely

Can other teams just sign players in the Marlies who don't have Leaf contracts? - I am not very clear on what exactly you are asking but all these players playing in AHL are the properties of their respective clubs and sign a contract (you can clarify that)

My response in bold

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Can you call up and send down players as you
wish between the Leafs and Marlies or do players have to clear waivers?

Can other teams just sign players in the Marlies who don't have Leaf contracts?

Anyone in the AHL under an NHL contract you can call up without waivers. To send a player down they either a)have to clear waivers, b) be waiver exempt, or c)have cleared waivers in the previous 30 days. Waiver exemption depends on age of signing, time of signing and games played. Rule of thumb you usually have 5 years of waiver exemption after a players 1st draft eligible year, but this can vary. Goalie get an extra year. CapFriendly has a waiver calculater here https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator

Anyone in the AHL not under and NHL contract(Rich Clune for example) and not anyone's draft property(Dzierkals is still our property) can be signed to an NHL contract. Though I'm not entirely certain the team who has that minor league team may have the ability to match. Don't quote me on that part though.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking to go to the Toronto - Anaheim game in Feb. Are there any bad seats in the arena that might be for sale that I should avoid?

There are some obstructed seats available but they should be noted as such when you're buying, assuming you're using the Leafs directly or a reputable secondary market like Stubhub. Otherwise it's tough to get a terrible seat, decent sightlines throughout.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I've noticed they've been using Brown over Zaitsev on the PP, which I don't agree with. The club has 7 forwards who have scored 55 or more points in a season and 3 defenseman who has scored 35 or more points in a season. They give the team the best chance to score a man up. Brown does get shafted in terms of opportunity, as are the likes of Leivo and Kapanen. But, that should work itself out come next season.

On another note, with Hyman - Matthews - Nylander gelling as a line, specifically Matthews and Nylander. JVR and Bozak moving on come next season, would leave Marner on his own. Instead of moving Marner up and separating Nylander and Matthews, they could move Mitch to middle ice and give him some of the young wingers currently being held back. Obviously, signing someone like Joe Thornton could delay the need to make that decision.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad