2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It really blows for Rosen that Marincin sticks around thanks to waivers, who would take Marincin over even Dermott right now?

not sure you are seeing it the right way

rosen and dermott will play big minutes (ahl)and still grow and develop, do we really want them sitting in the press box at the acc???, easy answer NO!!!!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree fully with it setting a bad precedent. You simply can't waive a free agency signing before the season opener. But that leads back to my original point of the Moore signing being somewhat questionable to begin with. Though us also not a great look to not have a free agent make the starting roster too

Don't think is a major issue, but shows a bit of poor foresight on the part of the Leafs.

utterly disagree

with this extra bit of depth, we can now afford to DET style "over cook" a few players, it worked for them, why not us.?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
you're right but just because a rookie out plays a vet in preseason doesn't mean it'll carry over to the season and although i do believe Aaltonen should be in our opening day line up i also believe burying Moore so quickly would set a bad precedent and may hinder trying to sign these type of players in the future

also we didn't know if one of the kids would step up so like you said Moore was a low risk ufa signing
horse sht, we cried about that sort of thing in how we dealt with players like michalik,laich,grabo,greening,corrado,lupul,kessel,dion on and on and on and guess what, it has not mattered

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
horse sht, we cried about that sort of thing in how we dealt with players like michalik,laich,grabo,greening,corrado,lupul,kessel,dion on and on and on and guess what, it has not mattered

yea and some players have put us on there no trade lists and won't waive to come here

the top guys won't care and the bottom may not have many choices but for the middle guys i could see them thinking long and hard before they agree to a trade here or sign with us

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Speaking of podcasts the latest Leafs Report with Mirtle and Siegel had some really interesting stuff to say about the Leafs sports-sciences guys. Apparently they've cut down on practice time/intensity to allow the guys to have more rest and have things like cryogenic chambers for the guys to use after games (even for the Marlies).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
yea and some players have put us on there no trade lists and won't waive to come here

the top guys won't care and the bottom may not have many choices but for the middle guys i could see them thinking long and hard before they agree to a trade here or sign with us
other then fillpula, who?

and paws, if they are such snowflakes, good, pass on em, they did us the favor

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
other then fillpula, who?

and paws, if they are such snowflakes, good, pass on em, they did us the favor

The names are slipping my mind ,getting old lol, Montreal d that went to Buffalo instead in a trade and the pens player that refused to come here in the Kessel deal , may have have saved us a little retention .

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

It does matter. Every player you listed there was on the roster before being demoted or traded.

Moore was JUST signed, and specifically brought in on day 1 of free agency. You don't demote guys like that

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The names are slipping my mind ,getting old lol, Montreal d that went to Buffalo instead in a trade and the pens player that refused to come here in the Kessel deal , may have have saved us a little retention .

Josh Gorges.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It does matter. Every player you listed there was on the roster before being demoted or traded.

Moore was JUST signed, and specifically brought in on day 1 of free agency. You don't demote guys like that

Agree. It's a bit of a slippery slope though. Moore was probably expected to be the frontrunner for 4C, but Fehr did have the better pre-season. It can be tough to put too much emphasis into the pre-season, but at the same time, it's also never a good idea to convey that spots are sewn up and those games don't matter.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Gorges and Kunitz. Understandable in their cases though, as they would be leaving for a lesser team, although Gorges' reasoning was that he didn't want to switch sides in the MTL-TOR rivalry, IIRC. As we get better, some players still might stay away for other reasons, but we can only control what we can control.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

or do you mean kunitz who was wise enough to nix it and add his name 2 more times to the cup?

https://www.nhl.com/news/chris-kunitz-family-celebrate-fourth-time-with-stanley-cup/c-290344996

just saying paws, you see your reasons why they said no, i see vastly different ones.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
After one game, I would rather see Borgman + Marincin back there instead of Carrick.

Borgman was really impressive. He carried Carrick like how Gardiner carried Carrick last season.

Put Marincin with a better defender and maybe he becomes better.

In the long run, the Leafs will probably move away from Carrick and Marincin. So why not make the switch.

After one game, there is a noticeable difference in talent and the fight in the dog. Borgman was good.

Carrick is the 6th D and Marincin is the 7th D.

They took turns sitting in the press box last season.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
After one game, I would rather see Borgman + Marincin back there instead of Carrick.

Borgman was really impressive. He carried Carrick like how Gardiner carried Carrick last season.

Put Marincin with a better defender and maybe he becomes better.

In the long run, the Leafs will probably move away from Carrick and Marincin. So why not make the switch.

After one game, there is a noticeable difference in talent and the fight in the dog. Borgman was good.

Carrick is the 6th D and Marincin is the 7th D.

They took turns sitting in the press box last season.

Carrick puts Marincin to shame.

...scratch that, Marincin puts himself to shame

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Man, if we could only give Martin away for free. I don't know how you do it… An expansion draft or something? Fehr is way better and on a much shorter deal.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
you mean this guy???

Gorges refused to remove the Leafs from his no-trade list. There was simply no way Gorges, after eight years in a Canadiens uniform, and living the dislike associated with the Leafs-Habs rivalry, that he could suddenly switch.

https://www.nhl.com/news/chris-kunitz-family-celebrate-fourth-time-with-stanley-cup/c-290344996

At the time, I geniuinely don't know why Nonis wanted the plug that is Gorges. I personally had no issue with him not wanting to come here- as he sucks. It worked out well for us, Franson got moved for what turned out to be (in a package with no other notables) a second 1st we translated into Dermott, Bracco, Dzierks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as a firm believer that we're gonna do special things this season - I'm glad that the leafs won that game with such authority. That game a few years ago would have been a spanking in the other direction. It's nice to have a goalie who can play steady for the first 5-10 minutes until the team has their bearings, and then the team can turn it on.

(and vice versa. the games where freddy wasn't so hot last year, we have the offense to make up for the mental blocks). it's really good to have a team that find that balance on the off nights.

i said it in the GDT - we made the first move, Atlantic, come try and get us.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Speaking of podcasts the latest Leafs Report with Mirtle and Siegel had some really interesting stuff to say about the Leafs sports-sciences guys. Apparently they've cut down on practice time/intensity to allow the guys to have more rest and have things like cryogenic chambers for the guys to use after games (even for the Marlies).

Last season, we were one of the least injured teams in the entire league.

Coincidence? Or result of the "sports-science guys"? I guess we'll see this year, because if we have another season with minimal injuries, I'm going to guess this proactive injury management/avoidance is actually effective.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Last season, we were one of the least injured teams in the entire league.

Coincidence? Or result of the "sports-science guys"? I guess we'll see this year, because if we have another season with minimal injuries, I'm going to guess this proactive injury management/avoidance is actually effective.

we're also young. so it could be a combination of things. i mean WSH was healthier and i don't know if they have a super duper sports science team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad