2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
It really blows for Rosen that Marincin sticks around thanks to waivers, who would take Marincin over even Dermott right now?
The want Rosen playing 20 minutes a night on the Marlies, not rotting in the press box on the Leafs.

Marincin is only sticking around because they honestly they don’t care if he rots, he’s nowhere near their long term plans.

Wouldn’t be surprised if one of our top 6 gets hurt for an extended amount of time that the Leafs call up Dermott or Rosen to step in, rather than give goals up and important points away by playing Marincin for anything more than a emergency spot start here and there

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It really blows for Rosen that Marincin sticks around thanks to waivers, who would take Marincin over even Dermott right now?
What sucks for Rosén would be losing to Borgman. I don't think the press box is much of a consolation prize to losing out on the chance to play in the NHL.

Sorry, didn't mean to pile on.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
TSN has 5 Atlantic teams have 3 Metro teams in the playoffs. That's... interesting. I see the Rangers dropping, and the Flyers and Canes competing hard for a playoff spot. Don't really love Boston, the Habs or Ottawa chances, to see all 3 makes it(1 as a division spot) over those 3 Metro teams seems unlikely to me. I'd guess 4 and 4 but wouldn't be shocked with just 3 Atlantic teams.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
May I know how many years does Gardiner's contract run to? Do you think the Leafs will have trouble resigning Gardiner along with the big three? And after Gardiner I think Mo's contract is up to renewal soon?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
May I know how many years does Gardiner's contract run to? Do you think the Leafs will have trouble resigning Gardiner along with the big three? And after Gardiner I think Mo's contract is up to renewal soon?

Gards has 2 more years on his contract. Rielly has 5 more. It's doable to resign Gards but probably involves Marleau not playing that last year of his contract, and likely not resigning JVR, Bozak, or Komarov.

Have fun: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Reactions: bonjovi0308

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Jwalk, go read the draft thread. I'm not wasting any more time on you. I was right, and you are wrong. Now make like your name and take a lap. Last time I checked, Chychrun slid to the teens and so did lily. Go show me another poster that said lily was going to toronto 17th overall in 2017. Go ahead, show me. In the mean time you can take whatever shreds of your ego are left, and make like your name and take a walk onto my ignore list. Oh, and I was right about Fehr, hopefully you get over that one soon :)

Okay let me get this straight - what you are saying is that you never sugessted that Chychrun would be a terrible pick but merely warned that because of his shoulder injury, not being chosen on the disastrous 2016 Canadian Junior team etc. that there might be some risk involved in picking him ? Hmmmm....... Okay. Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Thanks for clarifying. I now can see your logic.
PS - Dont ignore me. Can't we all be friends ?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Really happy that the Leafs picked a team based on merit. The fact that Fehr and Borgman made the team is reflective of that. Fehr outplayed Moore badly and Borgman earned a spot on D. This is going to be a fun year!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Moore signing does seem a bit questionable at this point, at least it was a low risk contract

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Moore sugningbdoes seem a bit questionable at this point, at least it was a low risk contract
Not necessarily. Competition is good. Fehr had the best pre-season, so he gets the opening opportunity. It ends up being about who fills the role best though, not just first. That could still be Fehr, but it could also be Moore or Aaltonen.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not necessarily. Competition is good. Fehr had the best pre-season, so he gets the opening opportunity. It ends up being about who fills the role best though, not just first. That could still be Fehr, but it could also be Moore or Aaltonen.

Though Babcock has also said that he jinks Aaltonen as more or less NHL ready. Seems he got sent down because he could pass through waivers.

I agree that in principle competition is good, but sometimes it can be questionable to clog up the roster with questionable depth players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Moore signing does seem a bit questionable at this point, at least it was a low risk contract

Depth that is better than Ben Smith and can be buried in the minors/press box is never questionable :laugh:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Bold Predictions (since there doesn't seem to be a current thread for that):

1. Gardiner hits 5o pt. mark
2. Matthews pots 50.
3. Andersen gets . . . heh heh, 40 wins (let's not get crazy)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Though Babcock has also said that he jinks Aaltonen as more or less NHL ready. Seems he got sent down because he could pass through waivers.

I agree that in principle competition is good, but sometimes it can be questionable to clog up the roster with questionable depth players.

I thought Aaltonen would've won the job, and Babcock did put him in a position to succeed. Fair to say Moore's pre-season was not as smooth as hoped as well.

Could be something to do with waivers, but I hope asset management never gets in the way of icing the best possible team. Hopefully our depth proves to be much more than questionable. I guess time will tell on that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Depth that is better than Ben Smith and can be buried in the minors/press box is never questionable :laugh:
But they didn't bury Moore.

He's getting a roster spot even though he didn't play well at all in the preseason. He has that spot purely because he's a vet and a free agency signing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He's getting a roster spot even though he didn't play well at all in the preseason. He has that spot purely because he's a vet and a free agency signing.

and because he has always been a quality player, despite the pre-season and Fehr hasn't exactly been a consistent quality player the past couple years.

If Fehr struggles (say, with speed), Moore will likely get a chance, and should he continue to struggle, one of Fehr or Moore will be sent down, and Aaltonen will get his shot.

Would you rather a player like Kerby Rychel to be just sitting in the press box? What is wrong with a veteran center being out 14th forward? Most teams keep a spare center.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
and because he has always been a quality player, despite the pre-season and Fehr hasn't exactly been a consistent quality player the past couple years.

If Fehr struggles (say, with speed), Moore will likely get a chance, and should he continue to struggle, one of Fehr or Moore will be sent down, and Aaltonen will get his shot.

Would you rather a player like Kerby Rychel to be just sitting in the press box? What is wrong with a veteran center being out 14th forward? Most teams keep a spare center.

Personally I'd have Aaltonen at centre and Fehr as the 13th/14th forward.

The Moore signing just seemed sort of pointless considering they more or less had a younger and arguably more skilled version of him in Fehr already in the organization.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

you're right but just because a rookie out plays a vet in preseason doesn't mean it'll carry over to the season and although i do believe Aaltonen should be in our opening day line up i also believe burying Moore so quickly would set a bad precedent and may hinder trying to sign these type of players in the future

also we didn't know if one of the kids would step up so like you said Moore was a low risk ufa signing

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Personally I'd have Aaltonen at centre and Fehr as the 13th/14th forward.

The Moore signing just seemed sort of pointless considering they more or less had a younger and arguably more skilled version of him in Fehr already in the organization.

I think ideally we all, including Babcock would like Aaltonen at 4C, but they didn't want to waive Fehr or Moore right now.

We need to remember, back in July, we didn't know what we had in Aaltonen (I think management expected him to look worse defensively) and Fehr was expected to be buried.

Moore sitting as the 14th forward while Aaltonen plays 1C for the Marlies, and Fehr gets, likely his last shot in the NHL, shouldn't be that big of a worry IMO

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
you're right but just because a rookie out plays a vet in preseason doesn't mean it'll carry over to the season and although i do believe Aaltonen should be in our opening day line up i also believe burying Moore so quickly would set a bad precedent and may hinder trying to sign these type of players in the future

also we didn't know if one of the kids would step up so like you said Moore was a low risk ufa signing

I agree fully with it setting a bad precedent. You simply can't waive a free agency signing before the season opener. But that leads back to my original point of the Moore signing being somewhat questionable to begin with. Though us also not a great look to not have a free agent make the starting roster too

Don't think is a major issue, but shows a bit of poor foresight on the part of the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad