Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Young Stars Tournament Thread

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Maybe he meant camp? Or that Everett had his whl rights?

Th question Reid asked was where he was thinking about going either ahl or whl and khaira said he had to go to Everett because of his age. Maybe he didn't know about the loop hole at the time but those were his words. So that means he signed the deal expecting junior.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
Th question Reid asked was where he was thinking about going either ahl or whl and khaira said he had to go to Everett because of his age. Maybe he didn't know about the loop hole at the time but those were his words. So that means he signed the deal expecting junior.

A few details have changed about the story. Based on the latest interview it sounds like the Oilers approached him to go pro. Earlier it sounded like he approached them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really hope that we don't rush Khaira, if he's ready to turn pro then fine, if not let him get a year in the WHL.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
A few details have changed about the story. Based on the latest interview it sounds like the Oilers approached him to go pro. Earlier it sounded like he approached them.

Hmm well thats media for you I have actually heard the opposite over my timeline at first i heard guys cussing the oilers for rushing a player then i heard that he asked for it because his college league was going down hill next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
According to a story in the Journal.. Khaira has put on 20(!)lbs since his draft.

6'3 214lbs

Here is hoping this kid turns out... Talk about exactly what we need.

The biggest bonus of going the NCAA route = more time in the gym during the season. BTW-When did you change your avatar to the gorilla? It just doesn't seem right! ;)

why in the name of all unholy and Satan's very own bruised nipples did they have to schedule the game on freaking 8:30 PM? i wanted to watch it so bad!

So that I can watch the game at 4PM instead of miss it at 1PM like last time? :p: :sarcasm: I'll try and update you the best that I can since you do such a great job for all of us with our Euro prospects!

I think you mean Caley?

I don't disagree with your point of view. The next question from that perspective is why continue to draft these types of players each year.

As far as the asset wasted, trading him wasn't the only option. They could have signed him. Not sure why you would say whopping 17 pts in 34 games. 0.5 PPG sounds pretty good for a big poor skating dman.

I wasn't aware that Caley was a girl TBH, I think that he probably means Oilerschick, she watches a ton of NCAA hockey.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
So that I can watch the game at 4PM instead of miss it at 1PM like last time? :p: :sarcasm: I'll try and update you the best that I can since you do such a great job for all of us with our Euro prospects!

after some heavy thinking i decided that i can't affort to lose any bit of precious Oilers (or more precisely guys who will most probably never put on these silks in any competitive game) hockey at this level of starvation. i will take a quick nap and try to return in time for the game to start. thanks for backing me comrade! :)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
after some heavy thinking i decided that i can't affort to lose any bit of precious Oilers (or more precisely guys who will most probably never put on these silks in any competitive game) hockey at this level of starvation. i will take a quick nap and try to return in time for the game to start. thanks for backing me comrade! :)

You sir are a bad***! And I mean that in the best possible way! :yo: What time will the game start in your time zone?

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
Hmm well thats media for you I have actually heard the opposite over my timeline at first i heard guys cussing the oilers for rushing a player then i heard that he asked for it because his college league was going down hill next year.

At least this wasn't his explanation.

@chrismpeters
Wild prospect Louie Nanne has decommitted from U of Minnesota and offers a kind-of explanation on Twitter https://t.co/lzbH6t28nN

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gotta give all you overseas fans a big hand for watching at those odd hours :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Win or lose... rookies/prospects or the big league team... you all are equal to us as true Oilers fans (including lowly 5th tier fans like me. :) ) and you get my respect for following and rooting for them at every level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But going to the Dub is a step back in his development IMO.

To a degree I suppose, but he'd get more minutes and a more offensive role. I liked his game last night TBH but I'm thinking that he still needs more work on his skating. I'm looking forward to getting a bigger picture of his readiness tonight.

Oct 30, 2011
To a degree I suppose, but he'd get more minutes and a more offensive role. I liked his game last night TBH but I'm thinking that he still needs more work on his skating. I'm looking forward to getting a bigger picture of his readiness tonight.

I think development is more player driven than league driven. If he works hard to improve on his weaknesses, it doesn't matter too much where he plays.

The only thing about the CHL is that bigger players have an advantage at that level. They are able to win more puck battles and protect the puck with their reach and size. This means they don't necessarily skate as hard as they can.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I read on the Oilers site how things changed after the development camp this year. Guy gained 20 lbs or so as well. I can't find it on the website, but it was on the APP yesterday.

Also worth mentioning there wasn't a lot of coaching going on in this tourney, Nelson talked about just throwing guys out and letting them play as they want to see how players react.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I read on the Oilers site how things changed after the development camp this year. Guy gained 20 lbs or so as well. I can't find it on the website, but it was on the APP yesterday.

Also worth mentioning there wasn't a lot of coaching going on in this tourney, Nelson talked about just throwing guys out and letting them play as they want to see how players react.

...Which would explain why the Oilers did fairly badly. Teams that aren't very skilled can still win because of good systems and coaching, and every team was pretty much more individually skilled than these guys, who probably mostly project at the top end to be (still useful) third/fourth liners.

That said, did Nelson say this before or after the team lost every game? ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
...Which would explain why the Oilers did fairly badly. Teams that aren't very skilled can still win because of good systems and coaching, and every team was pretty much more individually skilled than these guys, who probably mostly project at the top end to be (still useful) third/fourth liners.

That said, did Nelson say this before or after the team lost every game? ;)

Might've been after game one, but might've been before. How much coaching could you really do?

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
CGY GM Feaster blasts his prospects effort

Hey guys, merge this with the other Prospects talk if you want but i thought it deserved some air time.

Check out what Feaster had to say about his prospects,

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Feaster+blasts+Flames+prospects+lacklustre/8885656/story.html
-----------------
Through the media — and quite possibly in person — he gave the boys a blast.
“Obviously, a difficult way to end,” said Feaster. “I asked (coach Troy Ward), ‘Is it an organizational disease? What is it?’ We have to find a way to eliminate it. This has been the M.O. since I’ve been in Calgary — win a couple of games and then we decide we can just throw the sweaters out (on the ice).

“We played 20 minutes. We had a chance to leave here with three wins. That would have been good. For 40 minutes we just played shinny. And I don’t understand it. It’s not unique to this group. Unfortunately, it’s something that happens with the big club, too.”------------------

It's basically the polar opposite of what Mac T had to say about the tournament, being a "shinny game" out there and he put no stock in it. What was the mandate coming from the top? Our rookies were absolutely abysmal. Was that due to a lack of effort, or was it merely a lack of skill?
Eakins is trying to instill what you may lack in skill, you can make up in effort.

Our prospects in the later rounds are not progressing, there's no gem in the bunch. Is this an organizational handicap? Do they need to be whipped into shape mentally a lot earlier?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/09/08/oilers-gm-mactavish-doesnt-put-much-stcok-into-teams-lopsided-losses-at-young-stars-classic

Then there's Mac T and our orgnizational thinking for the past few years:
“It’s a funny mindset when you come into this tournament, it’s an informal way to get your prospects some high-level competition,” MacTavish said, prior to Sunday’s loss. “When you’re discussing the makeup of your team in August, it seems like it’s one of the last things on your mind in terms of trying to be competitive.

“But then you get to the game and things go wrong, you have to step back a little bit and realize that it’s a developmental look and nothing more than that.”

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently Sven didn't play very hard, but can you blame him? This is a unique tourney and for some guys they just don't care, especially when they have been in the NHL already.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hey guys, merge this with the other Prospects talk if you want but i thought it deserved some air time.

Check out what Feaster had to say about his prospects,

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Feaster+blasts+Flames+prospects+lacklustre/8885656/story.html
-----------------
Through the media — and quite possibly in person — he gave the boys a blast.
“Obviously, a difficult way to end,†said Feaster. “I asked (coach Troy Ward), ‘Is it an organizational disease? What is it?’ We have to find a way to eliminate it. This has been the M.O. since I’ve been in Calgary — win a couple of games and then we decide we can just throw the sweaters out (on the ice).

“We played 20 minutes. We had a chance to leave here with three wins. That would have been good. For 40 minutes we just played shinny. And I don’t understand it. It’s not unique to this group. Unfortunately, it’s something that happens with the big club, too.â€------------------

It's basically the polar opposite of what Mac T had to say about the tournament, being a "shinny game" out there and he put no stock in it. What was the mandate coming from the top? Our rookies were absolutely abysmal. Was that due to a lack of effort, or was it merely a lack of skill?
Eakins is trying to instill what you may lack in skill, you can make up in effort.

Our prospects in the later rounds are not progressing, there's no gem in the bunch. Is this an organizational handicap? Do they need to be whipped into shape mentally a lot earlier?

I don't think MacT should be doing anything Feaster does.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
The MacT quote that resonates with me the most, is from the offseason when he said "You have to be at least a threat to score"

The only player that i felt that was a consistent threat to score was Gernat.

Roy had flashes, and i think he'll be fine. Ewanyk, who at the WHL was known to take a lot of shifts off. When you saw him score, you'd think he could do it every shift because his goals were "pure effort" goals. But it would happen so rarely.

It was like none of our players were even skating out there.

As for Calgary, I think their team mantra this year will be "We don't care if you win games, but you better try your hardest"

During the Oiler's first few bad seasons, i recall them losing some games and would console myself that "At least the effort was there". I think that's Calgary right now.

As for the Oilers here and now. The rookies lacked skill and effort. With some of the D, i think they were getting frustrated with the forwards and would try and do too much. (I noticed several times Davidson would be leading the rush because the forwards weren't skating for **** out there)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad