Tribute The Official “Bring Back Jack” Thread

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Okay were going in circles here you can just keep sulking over Singh being involved. Instead of pulling my hair out I'm going to turn on the radio mute my tv and listen to Michaels in an hour. Enjoy the game!

white-knight.gif

Post automatically merged:

Who are we stuck with for this round?

Oilers hater Singh.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Didn’t appreciate him enough, now I do.

He probably only listens to Oilers games.

Anybody that considers Jack Michaels, of all people, a good play by play commentator must live a very sheltered and willfully ignorant existence.
You’re listening to the game right?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Jack would not have made that loss anymore enjoyable.
Seriously.

And I actually didn't mind Singh last night. Louie was irritating as f***, but Singh was doing alright.

It helps a lot when the play by play guy is calling the play and not giving me his family history dating back to the Byzantine Empire.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Sorry but I just find Singh grating to listen to. Thin voice in monotone delivery, usually low-key hating on the Oilers - or it least it feels that way. At least I don’t recall him doing his usual sing-song gOaAAaAAaLllllLlLlL schtick, which is like fingernails across a chalk board to me.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Seriously.

And I actually didn't mind Singh last night. Louie was irritating as f***, but Singh was doing alright.

It helps a lot when the play by play guy is calling the play and not giving me his family history dating back to the Byzantine Empire.
Louie is great.

Sorry but I just find Singh grating to listen to. Thin voice in monotone delivery, usually low-key hating on the Oilers - or it least it feels that way. At least I don’t recall him doing his usual sing-song gOaAAaAAaLllllLlLlL schtick, which is like fingernails across a chalk board to me.
Last night example, " the Kings score another victory in the faceoff circle!"

Probably would be best to get it from those jack supporters who want singh gone and him in. I mean you can listen to 100% of Jack's calls on all the games on the radio.
I really don't care much about the play by play but if this is such a big deal there is an option already in place.

So what's the issue?
No, i want to hear it from you, since you made the assumption in your comment. Since you can apparently decipher what people are thinking, tell us what you think they meant by it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I tend to just turn it off. I actually liked him alot better in Punjabi. He was quite enjoyable to listen to. Now all of the fire is out of his play by play.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I tend to just turn it off. I actually liked him alot better in Punjabi. He was quite enjoyable to listen to. Now all of the fire is out of his play by play.
I can agree with that. Not sure if he is just more comfortable in Punjabi (and why shouldn't he be, English is a 2nd language for him) and can't or isn't able to stretch his wings when announcing in English. Whatever it is, I've the word to describe his announcing in English as "vanilla", or you could use the words blah, or contrived.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Louie is great.

Last night example, " the Kings score another victory in the faceoff circle!"

No, i want to hear it from you, since you made the assumption in your comment. Since you can apparently decipher what people are thinking, tell us what you think they meant by it.

I watched the game last night had no issues with it at all. People who are acting like Michaels is some sort of quantifiable difference are probably the same ones defending Mike Smith today.

Reactions: Kerberos

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I can agree with that. Not sure if he is just more comfortable in Punjabi (and why shouldn't he be, English is a 2nd language for him) and can't or isn't able to stretch his wings when announcing in English. Whatever it is, I've the word to describe his announcing in English as "vanilla", or you could use the words blah, or contrived.

Holy cringe he's born in Canada lived here his whole life.

His family immigrated to Canada in early 1900s. That's probably before most posters here. English is not the second language of every visible minority you meet in Canada.

Reactions: Kerberos

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

His family immigrated to Canada in early 1900s. That's probably before most posters here. English is not the second language of every visible minority you meet in Canada.
Im no language expert but Singh refers to Punjabi as his native tongue and the language he would speak as a child in the home. That would make English his second language, wouldn't it?

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

He had family originally come in 1908 but left back to India because of the treatment by the locals (racism/xenophobic idiots).

His family actually immigrated to Canada from India in 1966.

And his family spoke Punjabi at home. Hence, first language is Punjabi. I consider him to be a perfect English speaker either way.

His story is great. He’s led a great life and has met many of his life goals when many told him he should not have bothered.

With Singh seeming to cut out the singing, he is an acceptable play-by-play man. I still find him lacking in play description.

For example, last night McDavid goes in, flies past 3 Kings, and fires through the final 2 Kings player to beat a screened Quick. His call? “McDavid, with speed, he shoots, he scores!”

The 630 ched call was only slightly more descriptive but still better. Around 1:50 at this link. Maybe I’ll just sync it though instead of discussing this so you don’t call me a racist anymore

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Hit the road Jack, and don't you come back no more no more no more.... for playoffs.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
HAHAH,

OH wait, you’re not aware that your opinion is a remote minority amongst the fanbase?
You keep saying this but several people even in this thread and others are saying they also don't like Jack.

Plus theres been lol only a few hundred people signing the dumb petition since this thread started. Seems like not many people care.

I could start a petition to bring back Bugs Bunny and there would be more.

Neither Michaels or Singh would be fine with me provided its somebody better.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Careful, you're gonna get the R word and it won't be happy times around here.. heh

Actually one good thing about Singh, that I prefer, is he's not telling 2min stories about his mom's apple pie recipe while a game is going on. Singh's not good at PBP, but Michaels is flat out not even calling the play 25% of the time, and when he is he's always behind because he's saying stupid shit like "that puck stayed out". By the time he says that the rebound is in..

He had family originally come in 1908 but left back to India because of the treatment by the locals (racism/xenophobic idiots).

His family actually immigrated to Canada from India in 1966.

And his family spoke Punjabi at home. Hence, first language is Punjabi. I consider him to be a perfect English speaker either way.

His story is great. He’s led a great life and has met many of his life goals when many told him he should not have bothered.

With Singh seeming to cut out the singing, he is an acceptable play-by-play man. I still find him lacking in play description.

For example, last night McDavid goes in, flies past 3 Kings, and fires through the final 2 Kings player to beat a screened Quick. His call? “McDavid, with speed, he shoots, he scores!”

The 630 ched call was only slightly more descriptive but still better. Around 1:50 at this link. Maybe I’ll just sync it though instead of discussing this so you don’t call me a racist anymore
Its only fair. When TSN hired him they told Dutchy to cut out all his stuff as well. Seems like the main broadcasters just want standard formula, and Michaels definitely doesn't make the curve.

Last edited:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
You keep saying this but several people even in this thread and others are saying they also don't like Jack.

Plus theres been lol only a few hundred people signing the dumb petition since this thread started. Seems like not many people care.

I could start a petition to bring back Bugs Bunny and there would be more.

Neither Michaels or Singh would be fine with me provided its somebody better.

Its the second largest oilers related petition ever, not sure what it would take to make you think "many people care". Literally thousands of Edmontonians put their real names on the line. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if it was the most signatures ever about a colour or play by play broadcaster. Good luck with your bugs bunny petition.

Rogers already chose not to pay the money required to retain guys like Ferraro for our small market; I don't think its realistic to ask for some pie in the sky broadcast team when Jack Michaels is sitting in the building and we know he'd call the game for TV if asked. Just keeping it real.

P.S. the biggest poison in our society by a landslide margin is naysayers, cynics, and people who dont believe anything can be changed. Nothing rots a society down to its core faster than that.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
After a lacklustre call on the Draisaitl goal, great call on the McLeod tip goal tonight by Singh.
Credit where credit is due. I felt his emotion was significantly better than usual this game. Might have a cold but his voice was a bit raspy on some calls.

Still no Jack but maybe taking strides to improve.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ZJuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad