Tribute The Official “Bring Back Jack” Thread

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Ok, so you can listen on the radio to jack and watch on tv. Maybe you didn't know but now you do. So no problem as you got an option... Right?

Yes I always had the option. For me it's not about Jack being miles better, which IMO he is, but more about how ridiculous the protocol is.
National broadcast teams should be dinosaurs like old minded coaches.

Each team listens to their home broadcaster ~65 times a year. Why would any fan want to all of a sudden hear someone else?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yeah people are pretty disturbed if they're hockey fans and placing this much importance in who's calling the game.

Let's not kid ourselves we know the real reason we have a petition for play by play for the first time in NHL history.
Post automatically merged:

Yikes. If that's meant to insinuate that the petitioners are racist, you're in for a rude awakening. I'm a brown guy myself, and I can't stand Singh's calls. Seems like a great dude, but he has no emotion in his voice whatsoever. But more importantly, Jack is one of the best broadcasters I've ever heard, and he'd bring a fantastic level of excitement to these playoffs.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Yikes. If that's meant to insinuate that the petitioners are racist, you're in for a rude awakening. I'm a brown guy myself, and I can't stand Singh's calls. Seems like a great dude, but he has no emotion in his voice whatsoever. But more importantly, Jack is one of the best broadcasters I've ever heard, and he'd bring a fantastic level of excitement to these playoffs.

Then you can listen to him on the radio and watch on TV if the play by play is such a big deal to you? I mean there is still a very good option available. So if jack is available to everyone what's the issue at this point?

Reactions: PBandJ

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Yeah people are pretty disturbed if they're hockey fans and placing this much importance in who's calling the game.

Let's not kid ourselves we know the real reason we have a petition for play by play for the first time in NHL history.

I can't speak for the other people since I can't read hearts and minds. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the real motivation here is that people feel it's unfair that Jack Micheals is being discriminated against because he's White. So what? Do you have a problem with people protesting anti-White discrimination?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would just prefer not to have Singh doing our broadcast, as opposed to another certain specific person doing the broadcast.. But it is what it is, so I'll enjoy the hockey and grind my teeth at the same time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's going to make it so much better when we win though!
Trust me its not even relevant. To me Bob Cole was a pretty boring non descript commentator. Not anything spectacular. But when a cup moment happens, and you never know when, it doesn't matter who is calling the game, really doesn't. Bob Cole was magic, to me, jmo, the moment he called the cup win and the "there's a new kid on the block" To he wasn't special before that spring.

lol so I see a meager 249 signatures in the last 24hrs since this thread was started. Thats pretty indifferent response.

You just couldn't help yourself..

sigh

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The staff for broadcasts have only been announced for the first few games. There will be a 2nd round. We are only asking for Jack to get 1 game in the playoffs. Its not impossible. Many of the signatories do like Singh. This isn’t about him. It’s about Jack. Also, you should work on ”you’re” spelling and punctuation, your cynicism, and your putrid attitude. Have a nice day!

[MOD]
What a poor post. You're doing this in your own thread that you started? I mean regardless of what one thinks about should/shouldn't or who should be calling the games or signing the petition I think its poor form to start a thread here and then deride people for responding. I mean how is a post like this convincing anybody to join your *cause*? Seems like you got baited and succumbed.

Holy Narcissistic Personality Disorder Batman...

I’m not going to read anything else you say.

“I said there are 16 team and I've never seen in history a petition and a viral movement to change the play by play in the NHL.

Can you provide one? Of course not.”

I provided half a dozen within 30 seconds. No effort at all. You clearly have severe problems that aren’t going to be addressed in a hockey forum.

I called for Singh to get all of his assigned games. You’re wrong about that, and virtually every sentence you’ve written. You make fantastical baseless claims over and over and conveniently forget that you’ve made them 5 seconds later. You characterize thousands of Edmontonians as racist because you want to stroke your own ego and sense of self superiority and you don’t even bother to hide it. Its an advanced terminal case of NPD and I doubt its doing you any favours in life.

Just getting more heated I see. You're confirming the point for some reason, not sure why you or anybody would do that.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t know how you lasted so long.

I like hearing opposing opinions/facts. I like when people point out I’m wrong. But this someone said they don’t like the Play-by-play person AND still they insist that everyone signing the petition is racist? Sounds like projection.

“What the f***” is all I can say to that.
Just so I'm being clear I agree with what you stated here, and that the falsehood should and can be pointed out, like it has been, but call me old fashioned on message boards but it falls on the OP of threads to have some semblance of decorum and perhaps not being involved in setting their own thread on fire.

Another comment is that I'm familiar with Change.org and what its supposed to be about as a missive platform. I'm not aligned with it tbh, I think there's good and bad that can happen as a result of such platform, but "who gets to call a hockey game" and using the Change org in this seems like a trivial subversion of the platform and perhaps not for the type of issues it was devised for.

To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZJuice

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are actual Jack Michaels fans?! Y'all have brain damage. Dude needs to put the thesaurus down and start bumping Ritalin before games. I purposely watch other teams' feeds of Oiler games to avoid the clown. Debrusk is a good colour guy; feel bad he's saddles with Jack.
Perhaps I shouldn't give this post creedence but its what I've stated earlier that is a likely reaction of Non Oilers fans to listening to somebody like Michaels. He's off the walls crazed, odd, he's a local taste, a hard to acquire taste, and I doubt his style is suited for National Audiences. Theres a real minor league or radio kind of thing to him too. Just like he's not suited for primetime. Not trying to be elitist with that but he just doesn't translate well to anything but a diehard local audience. Anybody that engages in so much jingo, colloquialisms, and where theres bingo cards of his random and weird statements is not going to translate. To somebody not familiar with his inanity they would barely decipher what he's rambling on about. FTR I don't think Singh is up there either. We really have poor choices and other teams have better announcers. It sucks. Its what it is. I would take Cuthbert in a heartbeat but he doesn't want it. The Oilers burned that bridge.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The ignorance that you’ve chosen to display publicly here is frankly astounding. Take a look in the mirror. The one thing I asked was that we focus on optimism and positivity and your narcissistic illiberal ass had to come in here and try to make yourself feel superior to thousands of Edmontonians who just want to support a great broadcaster who has busted his ass for hundreds of regular season games with no reward come playoff time. He is the most entertaining broadcaster we’ve had since maybe Ray Ferraro and its really such a mystery to you why we want to support him? No. You know better, but you think that you can come in here and satisfy your thirst for self-aggrandizement by belittling others. Go enjoy the smell of your own farts somewhere else.
How about the people who can't stand jack as a broadcaster? Bet there is just as many people who either hate to listen to him, or just don't care, as there is people like yourself who believe he's the second coming.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
How about the people who can't stand jack as a broadcaster? Bet there is just as many people who either hate to listen to him, or just don't care, as there is people like yourself who believe he's the second coming.

If you can't stand jack you can listen to singh.

If the play by play is such a massive deal to you that you sign a petition you can listen on the radio and watch in TV.

Not really complicated at all. Seems to be much more about removing singh than having jack available when he clearly already is.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Perhaps I shouldn't give this post creedence but its what I've stated earlier that is a likely reaction of Non Oilers fans to listening to somebody like Michaels. He's off the walls crazed, odd, he's a local taste, a hard to acquire taste, and I doubt his style is suited for National Audiences. Theres a real minor league or radio kind of thing to him too. Just like he's not suited for primetime. Not trying to be elitist with that but he just doesn't translate well to anything but a diehard local audience. Anybody that engages in so much jingo, colloquialisms, and where theres bingo cards of his random and weird statements is not going to translate. To somebody not familiar with his inanity they would barely decipher what he's rambling on about. FTR I don't think Singh is up there either. We really have poor choices and other teams have better announcers. It sucks. Its what it is. I would take Cuthbert in a heartbeat but he doesn't want it. The Oilers burned that bridge.
Personally, I had hoped the Oilers would give Cam Moon the play by play tv job when Quinn was let go, but Jack definitely grows on a guy. While he can be annoying and often goes off on tangents, he brings an excitement that makes games more entertaining.

As for Singh, when he first started english broadcasts he was very rough, however over time he has improved. That being said, I'd still prefer Jack. As to getting signatures to get Singh replaced, not going to happen and what have those things accomplished in the past?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Personally, I had hoped the Oilers would give Cam Moon the play by play tv job when Quinn was let go, but Jack definitely grows on a guy. While he can be annoying and often goes off on tangents, he brings an excitement that makes games more entertaining.

As for Singh, when he first started english broadcasts he was very rough, however over time he has improved. That being said, I'd still prefer Jack. As to getting signatures to get Singh replaced, not going to happen and what have those things accomplished in the past?
Just saw Cam Moon on the Oilers live broadcast going on and just in that short exposure he seems like a nice guy, a more appealing voice, and maybe not all over the place. Guy seemed calmer. My online persona sometimes not withstanding I love calm, and calm people in my life. I don't like things getting "Jacked" heh. I'm more about chill than thrill tbh.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
This is almost as embarrassing as the petition for HBO to re-make season 8 of Game of Thrones.

As for Sportsnet, it's a bushleague network full of bushleague personalities and that includes Jack Michaels. He does not make listening to Oilers games enjoyable.

Unless you like pointless rambling, constant screaming and words used with the improper context. Jack butchers the English language like a 6 year old that failed English.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
The whole HNIC broadcast is amateur hour and it doesn't matter who is doing play-by-play. They're all terrible except for Cuthbert.

As usual, I will be watching the American broadcasts.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Then you can listen to him on the radio and watch on TV if the play by play is such a big deal to you? I mean there is still a very good option available. So if jack is available to everyone what's the issue at this point?
So, what's the real reason you speak about for people to want this?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's a simple question Mr positivity which radiates with your response.

There are 16 teams playing. Do the other 15 have their "ideal" play by play guy? Lol only the Oilers don't?

Please direct me to the Flames petition. Or the leafs Sportsnet tweet about play by play change.

Can you do that Mr positivity? Of course not. Like I said we all know perfectly well why this is an isolated incident.

I signed it. I don't love Jack, but emotionless Singh in the playoffs is a travesty

Cmon now. Singh is constantly behind the play, has very little emotion or build up in his voice and just isn't great at the job.

Nice of you to try and blanket everyone as a racist as if you know the race of everyone who posts here.

Holy crap.

I was trying to follow this thread and figure out wtf was the problem with petitioning the clear cut best play by play guy for the job could possibly be...

I'm in shock that anyone would jump to the conclusion that racism is behind just wanting a better pbp guy to call games in the playoffs. I had no idea that we were dealing with an affirmative action/racism type situation.

Jack is pretty iconic and getting pretty big rave reviews... Having him be our pbp guy in the playoffs would be great. That's all there is to this. If someone disagrees no biggie. If it doesn't happen, no biggie. I cant imagine anyone will be looking to cut holes in their pillow cases over this any which way.

Racism is still a big problem obviously but I think someone may have broke out their ol jump to conclusion mat on this one.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The whole HNIC broadcast is amateur hour and it doesn't matter who is doing play-by-play. They're all terrible except for Cuthbert.

As usual, I will be watching the American broadcasts.
Omg, theyre terrible for the most part.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with an earlier poster that it's too bad that Cam Moon is on the bench for the playoffs. Best PBP I've heard since Rod Phillips and his goal call is spectacular.

I like Jack when he's focusing on the game but he drives me crazy with the inane stories and comments during play. I'll give Singh a chance this playoff run.

Hopefully next season Cam gets the full time radio gig he deserves.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad