Tribute The Official “Bring Back Jack” Thread

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Credit where credit is due. I felt his emotion was significantly better than usual this game. Might have a cold but his voice was a bit raspy on some calls.

Still no Jack but maybe taking strides to improve.
He definitely got better as the game went on. Felt his emotion, he was definitely into it tonight!

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Credit where credit is due. I felt his emotion was significantly better than usual this game. Might have a cold but his voice was a bit raspy on some calls.

Still no Jack but maybe taking strides to improve.
I’ve been pretty down on Singh, but I have to agree and admit that he was better last night. I bit more enthusiasm in his voice. Maybe the more physical game got him going? I don’t know. He’s still not my favourite but he was good enough that he fit into the play, and he didn’t take away from the experience.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I'm curious as to what the attitude would be like here if we had Mark Lee and Kevin "Like a Receiver in Football" Weekes calling this series.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Singh is getting better and more tolerable, but there's still lots of other broadcasters that I'd prefer over him. It's nothing personal, he's just a tad vanilla at times and bland. Not to mention we usually lose when he announces.

I can't help but wonder who would announce the Battle of Alberta in Round Two if that occurs. I think I'd take Singh over Ball in that case, because Ball is pro Calgary and the last thing we need is more Calgary homers.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Singh is getting better and more tolerable, but there's still lots of other broadcasters that I'd prefer over him. It's nothing personal, he's just a tad vanilla at times and bland. Not to mention we usually lose when he announces.

I can't help but wonder who would announce the Battle of Alberta in Round Two if that occurs. I think I'd take Singh over Ball in that case, because Ball is pro Calgary and the last thing we need is more Calgary homers.
I’d rather a Calgary homer then an Edmonton born Vancouver fan. That said, it’s the oilers job to win over all commentators, so as long as the oilers do their job it will be a pleasant experience. Think about it, wouldn’t you want to hear balls heart break in real time. Cue Conan line.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I noticed improvement as well in Singh's call.

Could it be reverse racism?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Hrudey is insufferable in between periods. Adding Ball to calling our series is ridiculous.

Cart before the horse though, need to win our series first. Besides, the Stars might knock the Flames out anyways.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
@alphahelix

How are you holding up buddy? I know things didn't go your way but you can at least Singh's been decent, right?
I’m holding up a lot better than if I were a contemptuous cynical pessimist like yourself: keep taking your meds.

I (& almost all of the dozens of commenters on the 3500+ strong petition) have noted the whole time that Singh is a fast-improving and reasonable option as a broadcaster who has little to nothing to do with the petition.

Its always been about 1) The Rogers monopoly‘s habitual ignorance of the fanbase in Edmonton in all of their decision making, & 2)Jack Michaels, who is still by majority opinion the best option for broadcasts. A guy who has called hundreds of regular season games with no reward. A guy who brings cup finals energy to timbits preseason games.

Personally speaking, I AM glad that we don’t have to listen to a Harnaryan-Cassie Campbell call and we were lucky enough to be left with Louie, but thats negative thinking and as reinforced in the very first post here — this has always been a positive movement.

Its no surprise whatsoever that people like you can’t abide that without derailing every thread at every turn to belittle, besmirch and self-aggrandize.

Your contributions are so valuable here, o wise one: what would we do without you? Its difficult to even imagine what must be going through your head when you click that post button- how can you feel good about yourself as a person? Must come from a very sad place in life. Good luck out there.

Reactions: oilers'72

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I’m holding up a lot better than if I were a contemptuous cynical pessimist like yourself: keep taking your meds.

I (& almost all of the dozens of commenters on the 3500+ strong petition) have noted the whole time that Singh is a fast-improving and reasonable option as a broadcaster who has little to nothing to do with the petition.

Its always been about 1) The Rogers monopoly‘s habitual ignorance of the fanbase in Edmonton in all of their decision making, & 2)Jack Michaels, who is still by majority opinion the best option for broadcasts. A guy who has called hundreds of regular season games with no reward. A guy who brings cup finals energy to timbits preseason games.

Personally speaking, I AM glad that we don’t have to listen to a Harnaryan-Cassie Campbell call and we were lucky enough to be left with Louie, but thats negative thinking and as reinforced in the very first post here — this has always been a positive movement.

Its no surprise whatsoever that people like you can’t abide that without derailing every thread at every turn to belittle, besmirch and self-aggrandize.

Your contributions are so valuable here, o wise one: what would we do without you? Its difficult to even imagine what must be going through your head when you click that post button- how can you feel good about yourself as a person? Must come from a very sad place in life. Good luck out there.

Cheers, hope you enjoy the rest of the playoffs and Mr Harnarayan's commentary.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hrudey is insufferable in between periods. Adding Ball to calling our series is ridiculous.

Cart before the horse though, need to win our series first. Besides, the Stars might knock the Flames out anyways.
Apparently Hrudey was getting angry off screen in the telecast and came back on and was caught still redfaced. he boiled over I guess. Nothing like the Flames losing to anger him. Such a tool.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Don't care tbh, he's not my favourite but he's fine. Maybe if the Oilers win we might give the Kings an insufferable Singh call to hate for years to come.

I'm just glad we're enjoying Oilers playoff hockey. What ever happened to that fan who switched fandom to the Coyotes? Poor guy.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Don't care tbh, he's not my favourite but he's fine. Maybe if the Oilers win we might give the Kings an insufferable Singh call to hate for years to come.

I'm just glad we're enjoying Oilers playoff hockey. What ever happened to that fan who switched fandom to the Coyotes? Poor guy.
Stevenf1919?

Given the state of Yotes hockey, prolly this:
images

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

There are millions of oiler fans across the country. A petition with 3500 fans is a micro minority. Its like some fringe politican who gets the most vocal people to show up and ends up with 2% of the vote.

Look at the trucker convoy. 95% of truckers were vaccinated and we had 5% behaving vocally. Most people dont give a shit about getting vaccinated. Just like most people really dont care who calls or even notice who calls the games.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Singh is competent. That is all. I'd say his read of the game is still off, getting excited at the wrong time, noting shot passes as shooting wide, little things like that. But overall he can get the job done.

The thing is, Jack is much better still and the majority of Oilers fans like him more and would prefer his calls. Better accuracy, better vocabulary, better insights, deeper understanding of the team, and way better emotion. It just seems illogical to me that Rogers, who's job is to give the Fans the best presentation they can muster, choose to give us a subpar one. Not that big of a deal at the end of the day, but just another reason to dislike Rogers amongst many others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad