OT: The Off-Topic Thread XVIIII: Roman Numeral Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Oh ****. I submitted a job application yesterday, really interesting open position. I had some technical problems with two brolen laptops so I had those files (CV, application) in two different folders, USB and desktop. I realized today that I was editing both versions yesterday at the same time, and I have no idea which versions I submitted.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Deadline was yesterday (23rd). I think resending and updating my attachments, and admitting I don't know what I'm doing would look worse, it's an IT company after all :laugh:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm in a ranty mood this morning, so I'm going to **** on Apple for a bit here.

I have an iPhone. I have a lot of Apple products, actually. All my computers. All my phones for as long as I can remember. iPad. Apple TV. The works. A true ecosystem, if you will. Steve Jobs would be proud.

Yesterday, I noticed that my phone wouldn't charge when I plugged the cable in. Not a real big issue, I figured there was some lint or fluff in the charging port, it has happened before. Unfortunately I don't have any compressed air cans but my fiancee wanted to go to the mall (Chinook mall, btw) after work so I figured I would stop in at the Apple Store to get the lint blown out or whatever they do.

Go to mall. Go to Apple Store. It's busy af but that's expected. Find a dude with an iPad and tell him that there's some fluff stuck in my charging port and literally all I need is for someone to blow it out so I can charge my phone again. He tells me that they're pretty busy and he can book me in for someone to help me in about 30 mins (at this point it's about 5:15). I'm like uh okay, again saying that literally all I need is for someone to blow it out so I can charge my phone again. But whatever, fiancee wants to do some shopping anyways so I put my name and number down and we go shop.

Come back half an hour later. Find the dude. He tells me they're a bit behind schedule and it could be another 15 mins but not much longer. At this point I'm like are you ****in serious dude just give me a can of air and I'll do it myself. Fiancee says it's nbd, we can go wait outside and figure out where to eat for dinner because now it's almost 6pm and we won't be home will almost 7 at this rate. Fine whatever. Go sit outside the store. I give them 20 mins. 6:05 pm now.

Go back into the store. Find the dude. He says "oh it looks like your appointment got pushed back to 8:00" and now I'm pissed. Because not only am I being yanked around here but the Apple store is actually supposed to text you when your appointment is close but I guess they don't when your time gets changed, so they just expected me to wait around for another two hours. The dude is like "I would recommend coming back tomorrow when the store opens at about 9am, you'll probably get someone right away" and I look at him and I'm like "what did you put my appointment down as?" and he says "it's listed as physical damage" and I swear I could have screamed. I look him in the eyes and I said "you can cancel my ****ing appointment. Literally all I need is for someone to blow out my charging port so I can charge my phone again." I guess at this point the guy realizes how ****ing stupid this whole situation is because he takes my phone and uses a little rake thing to extract the lint from my charging port. It's done in about 20 seconds. Meanwhile he's telling me how using compressed air can ruin the circuits and blah blah and I'm just like yeah well. I don't even know if I thanked him afterwards.

I love Apple products (for the most part, anyways) but man, that whole company is so far up its own ass at this point. Starting at the top and going all the way down to the ****ing sales associates. I'm still angry thinking about it. Ugh.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Deebz.....

giphy.gif

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Also, the new Macbook has nixed possibly the best defining feature of all Macbooks

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:laugh: Not gonna lie, this is not the first time I've considered switching.
Ever since I went android (I had a blackberry before that) I have loved them. All but one has been in the Nexus family (Nexus S, Nexus 4 and Nexus 5) and I recommend them to everyone. I had a Galaxy S2 but the screen slowly died on my after a very short period of time. I'm partial to any of the Google phones because they come unlocked, have none of the developer bloatware and at least initially they were fairly affordable (in comparison). I still really want a Google Pixel, but I cannot afford it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I've been an Apple user since the old G3/G4 iBook, strawberry iMac days but I've never given them blind loyalty the way many people do. Actually I've always been critical about the way they market their hardware as bleeding edge and innovative when it's far from it. I love OSX but their computers from a specification standpoint leave a lot to be desired, though I won't argue that build quality is hard to top. My MacBook Pro is the last model before they switched over to the fully integrated hardware and I'm gonna be so bummed out when it dies. I just like the option of being able to swap out the hardware myself and not having to pay a premium for it to come that way from the factory.

That said, I'm also a fan of the Nexus family of phones for the same reasons MM described. I'm still using my Nexus 4 and before that my phone was the Nexus S. It's gonna suck when my N4 dies cause the Pixel is so expensive and I've been spoiled by the "pure" Android experience without the bloat and the frequent updates it comes with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That said, I'm also a fan of the Nexus family of phones for the same reasons MM described. I'm still using my Nexus 4 and before that my phone was the Nexus S. It's gonna suck when my N4 dies cause the Pixel is so expensive and I've been spoiled by the "pure" Android experience without the bloat and the frequent updates it comes with.
I also believe they deliver the Android OS updates to Nexus/Google phones first. I know when I had that Galaxy S2 my brother was still getting OS updates on his Nexus S before I would by days, if not weeks.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

I have an iPhone. I have a lot of Apple products, actually. All my computers. All my phones for as long as I can remember. iPad. Apple TV. The works. A true ecosystem, if you will. Steve Jobs would be proud.

Yesterday, I noticed that my phone wouldn't charge when I plugged the cable in. Not a real big issue, I figured there was some lint or fluff in the charging port, it has happened before. Unfortunately I don't have any compressed air cans but my fiancee wanted to go to the mall (Chinook mall, btw) after work so I figured I would stop in at the Apple Store to get the lint blown out or whatever they do.

Go to mall. Go to Apple Store. It's busy af but that's expected. Find a dude with an iPad and tell him that there's some fluff stuck in my charging port and literally all I need is for someone to blow it out so I can charge my phone again. He tells me that they're pretty busy and he can book me in for someone to help me in about 30 mins (at this point it's about 5:15). I'm like uh okay, again saying that literally all I need is for someone to blow it out so I can charge my phone again. But whatever, fiancee wants to do some shopping anyways so I put my name and number down and we go shop.

Come back half an hour later. Find the dude. He tells me they're a bit behind schedule and it could be another 15 mins but not much longer. At this point I'm like are you ****in serious dude just give me a can of air and I'll do it myself. Fiancee says it's nbd, we can go wait outside and figure out where to eat for dinner because now it's almost 6pm and we won't be home will almost 7 at this rate. Fine whatever. Go sit outside the store. I give them 20 mins. 6:05 pm now.

Go back into the store. Find the dude. He says "oh it looks like your appointment got pushed back to 8:00" and now I'm pissed. Because not only am I being yanked around here but the Apple store is actually supposed to text you when your appointment is close but I guess they don't when your time gets changed, so they just expected me to wait around for another two hours. The dude is like "I would recommend coming back tomorrow when the store opens at about 9am, you'll probably get someone right away" and I look at him and I'm like "what did you put my appointment down as?" and he says "it's listed as physical damage" and I swear I could have screamed. I look him in the eyes and I said "you can cancel my ****ing appointment. Literally all I need is for someone to blow out my charging port so I can charge my phone again." I guess at this point the guy realizes how ****ing stupid this whole situation is because he takes my phone and uses a little rake thing to extract the lint from my charging port. It's done in about 20 seconds. Meanwhile he's telling me how using compressed air can ruin the circuits and blah blah and I'm just like yeah well. I don't even know if I thanked him afterwards.

I love Apple products (for the most part, anyways) but man, that whole company is so far up its own ass at this point. Starting at the top and going all the way down to the ****ing sales associates. I'm still angry thinking about it. Ugh.

They're losing in terms of market share, as well. In terms of mobile devices (not including tablets), I think they're just under 13% of market share? Samsung, even with the issues of the Note 7, is at 22%. I'm not going to lecture you, you've heard my spiel on Apple more than I care to admit over the years we've known each other :laugh: but ****, what a joke. They wanted you to wait for three hours for 20 seconds of work, they're worse than car dealerships.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island

Damn that sucks. Had dust stuck in my charging port a few times. There are a few stores around me that fix iPhone's and other electronics. 5 minute drive, in and out in about a minute and no cost.

In other news, I need PT to avoid Achilles lengthening surgery, to avoid possible foot reconstruction surgery later in life...

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
They're losing in terms of market share, as well. In terms of mobile devices (not including tablets), I think they're just under 13% of market share? Samsung, even with the issues of the Note 7, is at 22%. I'm not going to lecture you, you've heard my spiel on Apple more than I care to admit over the years we've known each other :laugh: but ****, what a joke. They wanted you to wait for three hours for 20 seconds of work, they're worse than car dealerships.

It's ****ing ludicrous. And I think the worst thing is that they wouldn't even listen to me when I said it would literally take less than a minute to help me out. I wasn't looking to buy anything. I literally told the guy what I needed. I've been to the ****ing Apple store before for this reason and I've watched them take their little rake thingy and scoop out the dust and that's it. This is not an uncommon request. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Deebz, holy ****.. Today I also went to the Apple Store at Chinook, also to get the lint cleaned out of my port in my iPhone! :laugh:

I left work to go to the mall, I get there and the hipster with a beard and black glasses tells me they'll book me an appt. I leave, go back to work, get a text 30 min later, go back to Apple, talk to the hipster, wait another 10 min to see a tech, then get my phone cleaned.

Anyways, despite the wait the tech's name was Mike (same as mine) and he loved my Flames wallpaper on phone (thanks MM). So I'll give them 6/10 Apples for my experience. The waitlist system is extremely ********.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I use a Qi charger so I don't care abut lint in my charging port

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Oh man, it just occurred to me you guys have been talking about lint in your port on your phone. I thought all this time you were talking about the USB port on your laptops you plug the chargers into and I was wondering what the big deal was :biglaugh:

In my defense, the charger and ethernet port on my laptop is full of lint and dust so that's what I naturally associated it with :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How are you guys even getting **** in your iPhone :laugh:? Just kidding of course.

I've had one for three years now, and have no complaints. On a side note, every girls I've had relations with over the past 6 months has also had an iPhone. For all people write it off, seems like most people still have them :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I don't if I should laugh or cry. I applied for one position that really fits my work experience, interests, knowledge etc.
Deadline was yesterday, and today I got an email that there were 155 applicants, and they are going to invite 20-25 applicants for the next stage, followed by individual interviews. I still have positive feelings about this but the numbers sound really ridiculous.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Am I the only one who just used a twist tie to scrape all the lint out of my iPhone port?
I might just start doing that now. No more of their shenanigans.
Oh man, it just occurred to me you guys have been talking about lint in your port on your phone. I thought all this time you were talking about the USB port on your laptops you plug the chargers into and I was wondering what the big deal was :biglaugh:
Like the common citizen, I too carry my laptop around in my pocket all day, so I can see your confusion. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad