Blue Jays Discussion: The off-season is on. (Robbie Ray wins AL Cy Young)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Sources: Toronto Blue Jays in talks with Robbie Ray, Steven Matz
But the Blue Jays need two more starting pitchers, including another top-of-the-rotation arm, and remain in talks with pitchers Robbie Ray and Steven Matz, sources said, with one source saying that the team has “prioritized” the two free-agent left-handers.

Obviously it is early but if the Jays have zeroed in on Matz being on the guys they want, i would have given him a QO. Prefer the 1 year deal than multiple years.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I’m sure he would have accepted but I’m surprised they didn’t

Im sure he would have accepted. I’m not surprised they didn’t because $18.4M is a lot for a backend starter but they did offer that for Thor and Verlander and I doubt you sign either one of those guys if it meant taking you out of the Ray sweepstakes. So it sounds like they have at least $180M to play with and if you believe Matz's adjustments are sustainable then $18.4M on a 1 year deal for a 2.5-3 WAR pitcher isn’t a bad risk.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If the Jays are hitting 180 plus in payroll flexibility I'd be pretty excited indeed !!

It was speculated that they have $180M to work this this off-season and next offseason they could have $190-200M.

The way they signed Berrios so early and threw money at Verlander, Thor and Heaney so early without taking care of Ray, Semien and Matz tells me they are probably working with $180M or more this off-season.

Ed Rogers seems to have a new commitment to this team and maybe with the bad press over the last few weeks, he has reconfirmed that commitment and gave Shapiro and Atkins all the resources and more to make the team better.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Danner in. Taylor and Murray not. Very surprising

Francis and Logue make sense. They think very highly of Leo so that makes sense too. Im not too surprised with Danner, live arm that only has 35 innings under his belt.

Murray could have went either way, same with Adrian Hernandez, big arm. Curtis Taylor from the Sogard deal was lefr unprotected too. I bet he gets taken.

Im not surprised with Taylor. Only got to AA and we have so many infield prospects.

Top prospects like Hiraldo, and Pardinho were left off too. Most likely they dont get claimed but if im rebuilding, i would take them like we took Elvis.

The good and bad of having a good team, cant have spots for everyone, we will lose players.

Also Shaun Anderson looks like hot trash, why are we claiming him? I assume he is this years Payamps.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I said it earlier but I would have got rid of Thornton to make a spot on the forty. Taylor likely gets picked up I would think.

Same, Thornton and Valera would have gotten the boot for me. Possible Kay and Palacios too.

But i assume when we make trades or signings, these guys are the first to be DFA'd.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No!

I love JD and he loves Toronto. But if we are winning now, it isn't with JD. Also, Minnesota doesn't do that trade (giving up a 3B for an OF creating a hole at 3B with no benefit). Basically, we would then need to sign an OF (who will either be a significant downgrade or will make approximately the same money or more) for the benefit of a 3B who appears to be declining fast.

It would be really easy to replace Grichuk for a lot cheaper. He's been barely above replacement level the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad