• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Forgot about him. Wasn't he at Michigan when drafted?
Yep, drafted him before his Freshman year at Michigan (which wasn't bad), but then his Sophomore year was rough and he was basically ditched by them, so he went to the BCHL and then after having re-committed to Michigan, decommitted from them and went to Minnesota. He had a pretty solid season as a #1 for them.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Pitkanen was far from a disappointment to us- he was quite effective and playing as a legit 1D until he shattered his foot and finally convinced the NHL to change the icing rule. And he's been a key voice within the org in terms of Euro scouting. IIRC, he played a major role in convincing us to take Aho.

I didn't know that about Aho or that he was scouting for you, that's very cool.

By disappointment I mean more that his career ended and not so much that he was a disappointment as a player. I still liked him in Philly when he was traded away, but it was clear that management had soured on him and it wasn't going to work out.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

By disappointment I mean more that his career ended and not so much as a player. I still liked him in Philly when he was traded away, but it was clear that management had soured on him and it wasn't going to work out.

Strangely enough, that may be the biggest impact of his career: it was one of the final straws in the NHL moving to no-touch icing.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Someone (maybe Wheeler?) said last year something like "In (x) years of doing this I've never seen a team nail every pick like Carolina did".

Time will tell, but I'm really excited for the future of this franchise. We never got this kind of love at the draft from the insiders and it showed until the new regime took over. I mean for one thing we're actually drafting Russians. When Svech was drafted one of the TV guys said the Canes had only taken one Russian in 20 years (Knyazev in 2001).

I am curious in the future when the opportunity presents itself, if they actually do draft a D-man in round 1 despite Dundon saying it won't happen. I think they will break that one year.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I mean for one thing we're actually drafting Russians. When Svech was drafted one of the TV guys said the Canes had only taken one Russian in 20 years (Knyazev in 2001).
By my count, we've taken five since Svech.

Я, например, приветствую наших новых русских повелителей.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Someone (maybe Wheeler?) said last year something like "In (x) years of doing this I've never seen a team nail every pick like Carolina did".

Time will tell, but I'm really excited for the future of this franchise. We never got this kind of love at the draft from the insiders and it showed until the new regime took over. I mean for one thing we're actually drafting Russians. When Svech was drafted one of the TV guys said the Canes had only taken one Russian in 20 years (Knyazev in 2001).

I am curious in the future when the opportunity presents itself, if they actually do draft a D-man in round 1 despite Dundon saying it won't happen. I think they will break that one year.

If there's any draft to do it, it's 2021. Outside of Aatu Raty, it is truly a defense-rich draft on all fronts.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Pitkanen was far from a disappointment to us- he was quite effective and playing as a legit 1D until he shattered his foot and finally convinced the NHL to change the icing rule. And he's been a key voice within the org in terms of Euro scouting. IIRC, he played a major role in convincing us to take Aho.
Pitkanen was a total boss. Gets dumped on by the Facebook crowd for not hustling for years, then essentially sacrifices his body and career hustling after an icing. Can't believe there are those who still think poorly of him

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Pitkanen was a total boss. Gets dumped on by the Facebook crowd for not hustling for years, then essentially sacrifices his body and career hustling after an icing. Can't believe there are those who still think poorly of him
One of my favorite Canes d-men since my fandom started. Such a smooth skater. Was seriously bummed when his career was cut short.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

By disappointment I mean more that his career ended and not so much that he was a disappointment as a player. I still liked him in Philly when he was traded away, but it was clear that management had soured on him and it wasn't going to work out.

Joni did next to nothing in the Aho selection, there is an article who tell the story of his scouting. The man is Kron and btw in 2013/2014 they already were scouting him.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I remember reading a reddit thread about him a year or so before he got hurt where the user was saying something like "you know how when you play nhl online and your teammate doesn't play any defense hes just running all around trying to score, thats joni" and i just remember being irrationally angry about that entire perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad