• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I come in peace from the Flyers board.

@Surrounded By Ahos told me it is customary to greet a new board with pictures of your meat.

images

Also, please note my avatar is the great Joni Pitkanen, who was also a stalwart and disappointment to your organization as to mine.

Now that I have landed here, I wish to hail your organization as conquering heroes of this draft. The value for your picks were through the roof.

ALL HAIL!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well, time will tell, but another draft that many of the gurus will like. Maybe a little weird we didn't draft a goalie, but seems like pretty good value overall.
Definitely a vote of confidence in Kochetkov after a rough season for him last year.

What's interesting is just how many guys we took are from leagues that are playing. 5 guys either from the Q or Europe. No OHL players. Very unusual draft in that regard, but we'll see. If the USHL and WHL return to play soon it may look brilliant.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Definitely a vote of confidence in Kochetkov after a rough season for him last year.

What's interesting is just how many guys we took are from leagues that are playing. 5 guys either from the Q or Europe. No OHL players. Very unusual draft in that regard, but we'll see. If the USHL and WHL return to play soon it may look brilliant.
Agreed. I don't know if that's what they were thinking but it's interesting and could be a big deal down the road.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Well it's over, and I can't believe how happy I am with this draft. They did so well, even in the 6-7th rounds. I'm glad they took a swing at all these picks and resisted the urge to go with the safe choices like was their past MO. These last two drafts have been almost joyful for me.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Agreed. I don't know if that's what they were thinking but it's interesting and could be a big deal down the road.
And reading up on things it looks like the USHL is planning a start in November, the WHL in December. If the OHL is still dragging its feet I wonder if that means we can get Suzuki, Rees, and Murray in Chicago since it would not be in violation of the CHL transfer agreement.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

@Surrounded By Ahos told me it is customary to greet a new board with pictures of your meat.

images

Also, please note my avatar is the great Joni Pitkanen, who was also a stalwart and disappointment to your organization as to mine.

Now that I have landed here, I wish to hail your organization as conquering heroes of this draft. The value for your picks were through the roof.

ALL HAIL!
This is the way.

I’m also ashamed that I never realized that was Joni in your avatar.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
This is the way.

I’m also ashamed that I never realized that was Joni in your avatar.

In 2005 I joined hfboards elated with the potential superstar defenseman we had just drafted and named myself for him.

Unfortunately, that did not pan out as planned.

I also constantly get tagged in posts when teams are playing at Pittsburgh, so I got that going for me.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Kucharski was a long shot when the pick was made and has barely played since. He’s changed teams a couple of times already, iirc.

Fair enough, I haven't really been paying attention other than what his uncle posts here. It's a long shot I realize but it's refreshing to have someone w/ insight who isn't, well you know, a jerk shall we say. Because of that I'm rooting for the kid.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm holding out hope the Russian G they took last year (Kotchekov?) turns into something worth keeping, the scouts loved him and the draft panel loved the pick. Also Kooch (Mike1167s nephew) from 2018 is still in our system.

While he's not looked particularly strong during his time in rookie camp, Jack LaFontaine had a pretty solid year last season for Minnesota.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
So, about this draft class: I'm very happy at the Pashin swing at the end of the draft. To me, at least, that's what teams should do in the late rounds: go boom or bust and get the consensus BPAs regardless of fit or scouting history with them. We'll see where it takes them, but if even one or two of Ponomarev, Nikishin, Nybeck, Pashin, or Seeley make the big leagues, those were all swings worth taking.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Scott Wheeler says the Canes win best Draft for the second year in a row

It's certainly, at least IMHO, one of the very best bang-for-your-buck drafts. I like the concept of going for scouting finds like Nikishin/Mercuri/Ponomarev in the middle rounds and then just saying, "Consensus BPA!" right when the 7th round hits. Boom or bust, it's IMO not a stupid way to use 7th round picks.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

@Surrounded By Ahos

Pitkanen was far from a disappointment to us- he was quite effective and playing as a legit 1D until he shattered his foot and finally convinced the NHL to change the icing rule. And he's been a key voice within the org in terms of Euro scouting. IIRC, he played a major role in convincing us to take Aho.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Pitkanen was far from a disappointment to us- he was quite effective and playing as a legit 1D until he shattered his foot and finally convinced the NHL to change the icing rule. And he's been a key voice within the org in terms of Euro scouting. IIRC, he played a major role in convincing us to take Aho.

He was a controversial figure among the Facebook fan base because he looked like he wasn't even trying as he flew up the ice past 8 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad