Confirmed with Link: The next head coach of the San Jose Sharks should be.. Update: It’s David Quinn

Poll: Who do you think should be the Sharks New Head Coach

• Andrew Brunette

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Claude Julien

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alain Vigneault

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Joel Quenneville

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Mike Babcock

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Travis Green

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Jeff Blashill

• Rick Tocchet

• David Quinn

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Dave Tippett

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Guy Boucher

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • AHL coaches

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Megna is a perfectly fine #6/7 defenseman making league minimum. I swear some people will complain about everything except the shit that actually matters.
Tanking or not it's embarrassing and counterproductive to just hand out NHL lineup spots to players who clearly belong in the AHL like Meloche, Merkley and Megna. Benning and Nutivaara are actual NHL defensemen who prevent the Sharks from having to do that next season.

That post wasn't even two weeks ago. You're not even trying anymore.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Thanks to those signings Megna is no longer guaranteed a roster spot. He has a cap hit that can be fully buried in the minors. Like I said, complaining about him or his contract is pointless.

Reactions: General Manager

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thanks to those signings Megna is no longer guaranteed a roster spot. He has a cap hit that can be fully buried in the minors. Like I said, complaining about him or his contract is pointless.
Yeah but that post you quoted isn’t a matter of complaining about Megna. It’s about pointing out your clear hypocrisy. You make arguments out of convenience than principles.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah but that post you quoted isn’t a matter of complaining about Megna. It’s about pointing out your clear hypocrisy. You make arguments out of convenience than principles.
Please explain the hypocrisy to me because I fail to see how those posts contradict each other.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Hodge trying to keep track of all the hot takes he makes:
aa2.gif

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Megna gets to help the Barracuda, great, he gets to do what he was originally signed for. I don't think 4-years of Matt Benning is necessary to do that, but whatever. If Benning is fine with playing in the AHL at some point and management is willing to waive him, then the cap waste is minimal, I get that. From looking in from the outside, I have doubts about those two things happening, which is why I am critical of that contract. People were complaining about coaching overusing Megna, not Megna himself. Also, the only people who complained about his contract didn't understand how 1-way contracts work.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Please explain the hypocrisy to me because I fail to see how those posts contradict each other.
Today, you say Megna is an adequate #6/7 defenseman (FYI, #6 defensemen typically play in the game and are considered NHL-capable). But two weeks ago, you included him in a list of defensemen who clearly belong in the AHL.

Now, I get what you're trying to say...Megna should ideally be in the AHL, but his contract is manageable and he's better than players like Meloche and Merkley. You slipped up a little with your language, using qualifiers such as "clearly" or "adequate #6/7", but that happens to all of us.

Yet instead of acknowledging that pecadillo and moving on, you just double-down.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Today, you say Megna is an adequate #6/7 defenseman (FYI, #6 defensemen typically play in the game and are considered NHL-capable). But two weeks ago, you included him in a list of defensemen who clearly belong in the AHL.

Now, I get what you're trying to say...Megna should ideally be in the AHL, but his contract is manageable and he's better than players like Meloche and Merkley. You slipped up a little with your language, using qualifiers such as "clearly" or "adequate #6/7", but that happens to all of us.

Yet instead of acknowledging that pecadillo and moving on, you just double-down.
I feel like anyone should be able to interpret what I was saying in each context and recognize they aren’t actually contradictory but, fine, point taken.

Honestly I shouldn’t have grouped Megna with Meloche and Merkley because he did play well with the Sharks last season. On the other hand he is a 29 year old career AHLer so there is a good chance he regresses back to that level in which case the Sharks can just bury him.

Just not a guy worth complaining about in any circumstance now that Grier has brought in defenders to play ahead of him on the depth chart.

Reactions: NiWa

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
This is GREAT news, Sheng is usually spot on this stuff. I imagine we'll get the official word tomorrow or maybe Monday, to avoid coinciding with the Marleau number retirement news.

NOW, Sharks, PLEASE, go poach Kris Knoblauch to be the other AC. War and Knobs together, hopefully, can cancel out a blizzard (Dairy Queen). :D

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I don’t actually think Megna is useless and would be a fine 7D for this team. I just don’t like how many opportunities he got for being “ok” and huge instead of really doing anything that amazing to earn chances over other guys.
The irony is that Megna is a guy who has been grinding it out for almost a decade now without getting many opportunities himself. I remember when he first got called up and was playing thinking how if he'd had a different pedigree, he'd have a few hundred games in the NHL by that point, not a few dozen.

He didn't keep it up at that level all year long, but he looked like he belonged well enough. If he's on your bottom pairing this year it's hardly the biggest problem the team is going to have, and if he's sitting some games, that's better than if it's a young guy rotting away in the press box. And it's hard to be mad when a guy has ridden a thousand buses in his life and now is finally getting an NHL salary.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
The irony is that Megna is a guy who has been grinding it out for almost a decade now without getting many opportunities himself. I remember when he first got called up and was playing thinking how if he'd had a different pedigree, he'd have a few hundred games in the NHL by that point, not a few dozen.

He didn't keep it up at that level all year long, but he looked like he belonged well enough. If he's on your bottom pairing this year it's hardly the biggest problem the team is going to have, and if he's sitting some games, that's better than if it's a young guy rotting away in the press box. And it's hard to be mad when a guy has ridden a thousand buses in his life and now is finally getting an NHL salary.

I thought he looked pretty steady next to Karlsson. He’s not a guy you notice all that often, but that’s a good thing if you’re playing as Karlsson’s partner. He wasn’t someone who you’d have to avoid giving the puck to in the offensive zone and he was steady in the defensive end.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I thought he looked pretty steady next to Karlsson. He’s not a guy you notice all that often, but that’s a good thing if you’re playing as Karlsson’s partner. He wasn’t someone who you’d have to avoid giving the puck to in the offensive zone and he was steady in the defensive end.
There were a couple games that he got burned pretty hard but he is a fairly capable #6/#7 that was our de facto #3 for a large chunk of the season. Not really his fault but it was really crappy to watch

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I feel like anyone should be able to interpret what I was saying in each context and recognize they aren’t actually contradictory but, fine, point taken.

Honestly I shouldn’t have grouped Megna with Meloche and Merkley because he did play well with the Sharks last season. On the other hand he is a 29 year old career AHLer so there is a good chance he regresses back to that level in which case the Sharks can just bury him.

Just not a guy worth complaining about in any circumstance now that Grier has brought in defenders to play ahead of him on the depth chart.
I knew what you meant! :thumbu: but I also think the level of argument over 6/7D and 12/13 F is so overblown on this board every year so 🤷‍♂️

At least in context of the much larger issues

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm glad the players are more open to Quinn's coaching style and don't echo the sentiments here.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I think the take away is that players aren’t likely to fire shots at their new coach in off-season interviews. It doesn’t need to mean anything more than that.
In a vacuum that may make sense, but when a coach has a reputation and a current player makes a comment which lines up with it, I am not going to dismiss it because someone on the internet suggests I should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad