Confirmed with Link: The next head coach of the San Jose Sharks should be.. Update: It’s David Quinn

Poll: Who do you think should be the Sharks New Head Coach

• Andrew Brunette

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Claude Julien

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alain Vigneault

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Joel Quenneville

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Mike Babcock

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Travis Green

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Jeff Blashill

• Rick Tocchet

• David Quinn

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Dave Tippett

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Guy Boucher

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • AHL coaches

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
It’s awesome that different players that have had experiences being coached by Quinny have great things to say about him.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
So two of our prospects liked playing under him at the IIHF world championship and one of Quinn's assistants is someone the board wanted as head coach? I'm feeling a lot better about this hire.

Reactions: Jargon

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
After nearly 30 games, what’s your take on Quinn?

I have been pleasantly surprised and from a fans perspective love his open communication.
The team is playing a much more interesting style of play. The goal scoring is higher, creative players are allowed to create (why Boughner thought it best to pin Karlsson in the blue line in the OZ is a prime example of why he was so bad). His openness is great.

BUT his openness when he continues to do nothing about it. He’s essentially kept the same lineup, only holding Gregor and Gadjovich to account. Bonino, Ferraro, Benning, have all been awful this season but never held to account. The call ups from the AHL (Viel and Suess) have been the most mind-boggling decisions. They’re amongst the worst forwards for the Cuda and they get rewarded.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I want to give him more time, but that record is just awful.

It does seem like goaltending is quite a bit worse this year, and you can't fault Quinn for that...but I also can't credit him too much for the resurgence players like Karlsson are having. Of course, he doesn't have Brent Burns, but outside of that, on paper, the team is better everywhere else. Boughner's conservative style was boring, but it was probably one of the few ways such a bad roster could be competitive.

Reactions: Gecklund

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I agree ok the call-ups, but I think they are more of an organizational decision to keep the promising prospects down to a)hone their game and b) make sure we finish as low as possible this season.

Reactions: anthonyyy

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As I correctly argued all of last season, Boughner’s system that everyone complained about was the only thing keeping the Sharks even remotely respectable. They are currently on pace to finish with 18 fewer points compared to last season despite icing a better roster.

Quinn is a perfect coach for the tank but unfortunately there are 5-7 teams even worse than the Sharks so it won’t even be a successful year on that front. He’ll be gone long before the Sharks are good again so he’s not worth worrying about. Just goes to show Boughner is actually a pretty decent head coach and deserves another shot somewhere.

Reactions: stator and DG93

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I agree ok the call-ups, but I think they are more of an organizational decision to keep the promising prospects down to a)hone their game and b) make sure we finish as low as possible this season.

Suess isn't even a bad callup decision, I don't know how that's true. But if everyone's already aware that the young prospects are being kept in the AHL for the time being, who exactly are people hoping gets called up? There's basically nobody else down there.

Reactions: hohosaregood

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
As I correctly argued all of last season, Boughner’s system that everyone complained about was the only thing keeping the Sharks even remotely respectable. They are currently on pace to finish with 18 fewer points compared to last season despite icing a better roster.

Quinn is a perfect coach for the tank but unfortunately there are 5-7 teams even worse than the Sharks so it won’t even be a successful year on that front. He’ll be gone long before the Sharks are good again so he’s not worth worrying about. Just goes to show Boughner is actually a pretty decent head coach and deserves another shot somewhere.
You should post this on Boug's LinkedIn.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You weren't correct and your premise is very much flawed if not incorrect as well. They aren't exactly icing a better roster either.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You weren't correct and your premise is very much flawed if not incorrect as well. They aren't exactly icing a better roster either.
You’re right I forgot to mention the Sharks have sustained zero injuries to meaningful players so far and are STILL on pace for almost 20 fewer points than last year when they lost Karlsson for 30 games and Labanc for 60.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's more like a less bad lineup rather than a better lineup. Forwards are a bit better but the defense is worse. Last year, you could argue we had two above replacement pairings but this year, it's one and that's only because of Karlsson.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You’re right I forgot to mention the Sharks have sustained zero injuries to meaningful players so far and are STILL on pace for almost 20 fewer points than last year when they lost Karlsson for 30 games and Labanc for 60.
You forget to mention a lot of things especially the things that would blow your stupid argument to pieces. Not having Burns this year is kind of a big deal no matter how you try to spin it. They're not getting the same goaltending they got from Reimer last year either. The adds they put in aren't exactly making them a better roster in any real way. It was shuffling garbage around for the most part.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Bob's system probably was better at locking things down and securing more points, but it was an awfully negative brand of hockey that wasn't very fun to watch and I think Quinn's system is better in terms of developing young players because when they do arrive, we don't want them learning to just lock down the opposition; we'll want them developing their whole games.

I'd also say that despite last season having more injuries, one could say that Reimer was pretty much all that kept them afloat, so losing him for an extended period this season certainly has impacted the point total.

Plus it's not like all seasons are parallel. Bob had already been in charge and had been working with most of the team to implement his system. Quinn took over, had more roster turnover, had a short camp and a challenging start to the season with the European travel, so he was sort of always behind the 8 ball. That's not to say that I think he's a great coach, but I think he's fine for now.

I mostly just wish he'd give Lindblom more than, what, a couple periods worth of time in the top six? Not like he's impressed much down in the lineup, but if you're looking to maximize his value he needs to be with more skilled players whom he can better complement.

Reactions: CaptainShark

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I’d say that Quinn is an upgrade over Boughner so far even if the wins and losses do not support the argument. The Sharks are top 10 in high danger chances for, the first unit power play is firing, and the even strength defense is like 17th in XGA. Looking at hockeyviz, the Sharks give up medium danger chances and prevent high danger ones.The goaltending is 30th at evens. To me that’s what’s killing this team the most, in my opinion, more so than the defensive lapses.

Boughner also buried his top lines in the d-zone whereas Quinn feeds the Hertl line offensive zone starts. Boughner trusted Burns-Ferraro as his top pairing and they bled chances. Quinn buries Benning, whose been strong defensively overall, and juices Karlsson the o zone starts with great results.

I like what I see. This team could be a bubble team with stronger goaltending. At this point though, figure out the Meier situation and hope the goaltending tanks the team for a great prospect.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Fell in love with Brett Howden because he was good for like the first three games of the season and continued to feed him ice time despite it being apparent he had no future with the organization.

Inspired so much confidence that Kravtsov went back to Russia rather than be dicked around by him and would only come back after seeing how much the team and organization had improved under Gallant. In 20 games played with the Rangers Kravtsov averaged 20 seconds of power play time while Brendan Lemieux was around a minute.

Gets credit for the development of Adam Fox despite the fact he was playing Tony DeAngelo more than Fox, including having DeAngelo on PP1 over Fox. It was the removal of DeAngelo early in the 20-21 season for reasons having nothing to do with Quinn that paved the way for Fox to break out. For some reason, this always seems to be forgotten.

Conceived of the awful idea of pairing Artemi Panarin and Ryan Strome together at all costs no matter what else was going on with the team or the lineup. This awful idea took root in the organization like Inception to the point where Gallant was powerless to stop it.

Gave Brendan Lemieux more power play time per game than Filip Chytil each of his last two seasons with the Rangers. Gave Brett Howden the same amount of ice time as Filip Chytil.

He deserves credit for identifying the worth and skills of K'Andre Miller and Ryan Lindgren despite some very rough stretches for both of those players.

Seems like a decent guy but I would have liked to see him put some time in in the AHL ala Eakins before going right back into an NHL HC job.

This is some of the stupidest shit I've ever read.

Howden's ice time dropped as his play did and the Rangers got other options. He played 10:18 at even-strength in his last season under Quinn.

Kravtsov had been in Hartford for 39 games before leaving for first time. He probably hadn't seen Quinn in months. Then he came back (while Quinn was coach) and, yes, was used sparingly. The Rangers were vaguely in a playoff race and he unfortunately wasn't very good. He did get some opportunity. He played 40 minutes on Panarin's opposite wing. The Rangers went scoreless and were outshot heavily in those 40 minutes (unusual for 2020/21 Panarin). The second time he left, Gallant was the coach.

You seem to be equating Fox's development with strictly his point production.

Gallant was powerless to stop Strome and Panarin, lol. Maybe he didn't want to because both of their top two most productive seasons (without comparison) were the two seasons they were together under Quinn.

Quinn liked Lemieux as the net-front on PP2. I didn't like him there, but putting a big, physical guy there was hardly an unheard of strategy for NHL coaches.

In Quinn's three seasons in New York, Filip Chytil played 215:43 on the powerplay. He had 10 powerplay points. Of the 302 players in the league with at least that much powerplay time, 9 of them had fewer points than Chytil. Oh and by the way, in Chytil's 76 games without Quinn as his coach, he has 1 powerplay point. Ranger fans seem to really take issue with ice time being tied to production.

There are fair criticisms of Quinn as a coach. The Rangers came out flat in way too many important games under him, and that wasn't the case under Gallant this year.

But most of Ranger fans' criticism I would think is parody if I didn't know better. His main problem is that Kakko and Lafreniere weren't as good off the bat as we thought they would be. He got the blame for that. Many Ranger fans think the answer when a player is struggling with minimal ice time is to give them more ice time. That's helps them develop in Eastside Hockey Manager. I don't think many of those that think that watch a lot of other teams, because I don't see a lot of NHL coaches doing that. You should go back and read the thread on the Rangers board about Gallant's hiring. The expectations were not based in reality. He's going to give Lafreniere and Kakko consistent top-six and PP1 minutes. Chytil will finally breakout. Kravtsov will claim a regular spot. Even Julien Gauthier will take a step forward. Classic comedy.

Chytil's ice time dropped. Lafreniere got another six seconds per game. Those two are better players than they started the year, as they should be at their age. Kakko did jump up more than a minute. Results were uneven and he was scratched in an elimination game. Gallant cut Kravtsov and he bolted. I'm not convinced Gauthier wouldn't clear waivers at this point.

So draw your own conclusions.

Sharks fans:

Which of these two opinions ended up being closer to the reality of David Quinn?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad