The Newer, Officialer Sidney Crosby Sporadic Post Thread! [ALL Crosby talk Goes Here]

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
I think people are making a big deal of this.

How many Q games have you watched?

It really isnt that bad. Just Rimouski are a bunch of whiners because back when they had Richards and Lecavalier Refs were intimidated by their fans. Not anymore and they are upset.

Tough luck.

Not sure if you've gotten up to Rimouski for any games or not, but I have, and man oh man was that true. Every single hook, or hit, or sideways glance by the opposition got the crowd up in arms, screaming bloody murder at the ref, and many times, up shot the arm - after the fact - on even the chinciest of calls.

Of course, that was three years ago. As Bob Dylan said not too long ago - though it was hard to decipher - "things've changed."

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
I think people are making a big deal of this.

How many Q games have you watched?

It really isnt that bad. Just Rimouski are a bunch of whiners because back when they had Richards and Lecavalier Refs were intimidated by their fans. Not anymore and they are upset.

Tough luck.
I lived in Rimouski and their was many more referees who had a counter reaction to the fans (punishing Oceanic's player) than others who were afraid of the fans. Actually i have'nt seen wrost officiating in my whole life. Some guys really wanted to make the fans pay.

Actually I find the refs much more homer since i'm in Quebec.

But still, the Oceanic organisation are really whiners and reacts very badly. Even Sydney's agent and his father are mad at them.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Those types of goals aren't that great

Those types of goals receive a ton of attention, but am I the only one not impressed? And I'm not talking about whether it's show-boating or not, I'm talking about skill-wise. I know a lot of players that can do that, it's really not all that hard.

A goal where the guy beats the defenseman one on one and then dekes the goalie is much more impressive to me than the Crosby or Legg goal.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some players in roller leagues I've played in try that (and some have been successful).
And then when I see them try it again I see them getting decked hard. Defensemen shouldn't give a player that much time to try that, and I don't blame them if they level a guy for trying to hot dog like that.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Beatnik said:
I lived in Rimouski and their was many more referees who had a counter reaction to the fans (punishing Oceanic's player) than others who were afraid of the fans. Actually i have'nt seen wrost officiating in my whole life. Some guys really wanted to make the fans pay.

Actually I find the refs much more homer since i'm in Quebec.

But still, the Oceanic organisation are really whiners and reacts very badly. Even Sydney's agent and his father are mad at them.

Well the refs in the Q are bad for both teams. Its a developmental league for the players and the refs. We cant expect perfection.

Les Zarbites

Crosby is an awesome young player and other teams have no other means than hooking, grabbing and cheapshotting to stop him. Referees are like : "But I already called 2 penalties I can't call them all ! " F#"k that. Yes call them all. They're penalties. There's a rule book, use it. It pisses me off. The same crap happens in the NHL and it should change too. Why not let talented players express themselves ?

I have got nothing against a good clean check and a fight but the game is not about sticks in the face, cheapshots and excessive hooking and grabing.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Mike Legg is now retired and plays drop-in hockey in BC. I played against him in Port Coquitlam last month (he was dominant) and he even attempted to score "the goal".

Necrophile

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
Beatnik said:

Where do you get this from?

Habsolution said:
Crosby is an awesome young player and other teams have no other means than hooking, grabbing and cheapshotting to stop him. Referees are like : "But I already called 2 penalties I can't call them all ! " F#"k that. Yes call them all. They're penalties. There's a rule book, use it. It pisses me off. The same crap happens in the NHL and it should change too. Why not let talented players express themselves ?

I have got nothing against a good clean check and a fight but the game is not about sticks in the face, cheapshots and excessive hooking and grabing.

Exactly. If a guy gets cross-checked 10 times in the face during a game, it's 10 penalties. There's no way a ref should just say "well this guy's already drawn 3 penalties, I can't call any more" - which is basically the Q refs' mentality right now. It's this type of bull**** which pisses off the fans! That and referees who call different penalties depending on what the period and score are. It's the same thing in the NHL, and fans are sick to death of that ****.

Some of you guys (being polite) think he should just toughen up. Hey, I'm not saying he shouldn't be checked closely and be hit and all... He just should'nt be the victim of cheapshots. Why should one get used to being cheapshotted game in game out? Because he'd be more of a man? F- that.

I play some low-level (garage league) hockey and I get pissed off when I get a slash or elbow, even with all my protection. If I were wearing a small visor like Crosby and got hit in the face, I don't care how big the other guy was, I'd tear him apart and make him my *****. That type of crap shouldn't be tolerated in hockey, no matter what the level of play.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Necrophile:

I have also heard that Sidney's parents and his agents are pretty pissed off at the Oceanic for making Crosby look bad. IF it were up to Crosby he would just play through it. Because of what the Oceanic are doing it is making him look like a whiner.

Wetcoaster

Crosby Comparison - He was only 16 (sing along)

I think it is difficult to compare offensive output from the Lemieux/Lafontaine junior era and in those days the Q did not know the meaning of the word "defence" as it was a run and gun league. Like the NHL, junior has seen the advent of sophisticated defensive systems which has stifled scoring compared to those days. Also the Quebec goalie factory is now in full swing and I was amazed to watch the two goalies in the game yesterday between Baie-Comeau and Rimouski. They handled pucks, played angles ,challenged shooters and butterflied as if they were seasoned pros.

Similarly the OHL was a much less systems/defensive oriented league when the Great One was starting out.

That said, Crosby appears further along than Mario at this stage in his career and pretty close to The Great One when comparing them at similar ages. He also plays with more of a physical edge than either of them and more like Lindros. Lafontaine was 18 months older when he was a rookie in the Q and set the CHL rookie scoring record.

Lemieux's first year with Laval was the 1981-82 season when he had just turned 16 similar to Crosby. His stats then:
64GP, 30G, 66A, 96PTS, 22PIM

Gretzky's stats as a 16 year old (seven months older than Crosby) when he played with the OHL Greyhounds:
64GP, 70G, 112A, 182PTS, 14PIM

Lindros' stats at 16 with the OHL Oshawa Generals whom he joined part way through the season after a battle with the OHL. He was 6 months older than Crosby:
25GP, 17G, 19A, 36PTS, 61PIM

When Lafontaine played his one year in the Q for Verdun in 1982-83 it was as a 17 year old and he was about 18 months older than Crosby.
70GP, 104G, 130A, 234PTS, 10PIM

Crosby:
49GP, 48G, 63A, 111PTS 60PIM

You can definitely see why Gretzky is touting him as the best player since Mario.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Has the "put all Crosby posts here" thread become invisible? This is like the 4th new thread about the kid in the last 3 days.

Wetcoaster

Hydroponic Harold said:
Denis Potvin played at 13 ..your point about Wayne having played 3 games at 16 is ...........

By the sounds of it Lewiston must be a fun team to watch ....old time hockey .

Potvin was born October 29, 1953 and played 46 games for the OHL Ottawa '67's in 1968-69. I believe he did not actually play in a game until he was 15. Also he was a monster even at that age and able to look after himself.

Actually Gretzky was 15 when he played his three games for Peterborough. he was 16 when he joined the Soo Greyhounds.

Bobby Orr was 14 when he played for Oshawa but even in those days he could really throw them if need be although only 5'6" and 135 pounds. Luckily he had former NHL D-Man Bucko McDonald (no shrinking violet) to tutor him before going to junior. McDonald coached Orr in peewee and bantam hockey. McDonald was the man who had Bobby play defense, despite his obvious offensive talents. When Orr's father Doug questioned McDonald about the curious move, Bucko responded, "Bobby was born to play defense." The rest, as they say, is history.

Dr_Chimera*

The Q is still as defense-free as ever, if you ask me.

Scoring is only down a bit, because there is less skill than before to boot.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Dr_Chimera said:
The Q is still as defense-free as ever, if you ask me.

Scoring is only down a bit, because there is less skill than before to boot.

Up to now, the average of goals scored is 6,7 in QMJHL and 6,3 in OHL.

''Defense-free as ever''? In Quebec, it went from 10,8 goals per game in 1973-74 to 6,7 this year, a 40% decrease. That is not what we could define as '' down a bit ''. In Ontario, it went from 9,0 in 1977-78 ( Gretzky's passage) to 6,3 this year, a 41% decrease.

Talking about the players skills, most observers agree that the quality of the players in Quebec's league is higher than it was in the past since Europeans, Americans and players from Atlantic provinces take the spots that were taken by less skilled Quebecers in the 1970's, 1980's and part of the 1990's. Europeans also contributed to increase the level in WHL and OHL.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sid also leads his team in plus/minus by 10 pts (4th in Q, anyone close is on a much better team defensively) . Any ideas on how Wayne, Mario, Lafontaine and company were defensively at 16?

Edit: I think "the Q being a comparatively weak league (it really isn't) and the reason for Sid's scoring" would be a stronger argument if Sid's plus/minus was like most talented rookies (negative)

Last edited:

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Crosby is playing an awesome defensive game for a 16 yr old. I see him very often cover his d-man when this one wants to attack. He's very mature in his play and knows the defensive aspect of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad