The New Little Caesers Arena Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
It'll be great when this finally gets done...and it will eventually. Who figured something this big would go off without a hitch?

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
It's not a big deal. The delay is over the demolition of the Park Ave. building and not the actual arena. That building will be coming down sooner or later, Olympia is just trying to make sure they have enough votes to pass it. While the Detroit Historic District Commission could still oppose the demolition, a state commission or even court could get involved and override the decision. Basically (like most preservationist cases) they are grandstanding and just delaying the inevitable. The project has been approved, work has already started, it's time to move on.

More plans from the arena district...

Deal for apartments by Comerica Park close
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...05/05/ilitch-st-johns-comerica-park/26957499/
The owner of the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings is close to finalizing a deal to make way for a five-story apartment complex a few steps from Comerica Park.

The structure, whose early plans called for up to 300 apartments, would be built on what are now surface parking lots along Woodward Avenue and Montcalm Street. The proposed building will be a few hundred yards from Comerica Park, across the street from the Fox Theatre and Hockeytown Cafe, and three blocks from the new home ice for the Red Wings. The hockey arena is expected to open in 2017.

Last edited:

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
CFa8GSdW0AA2rfI.jpg:large

The footprint of the new arena is taking shape
https://twitter.com/MCmuckraker/status/600874417564975104

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Just tear the ****er down.

I understand keeping history intact, but what exactly are you keeping alive by leaving a decrepit building like that standing?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Just tear the ****er down.

I understand keeping history intact, but what exactly are you keeping alive by leaving a decrepit building like that standing?

Detroit Politics brotha.

Hundreds of decrepit buildings in Detroit should have been tore down years ago.

I have a lot of optimism for Detroit's future. But Detroit is gonna Detroit.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It works like this. There is a historical ordinance that says we can hold up your project to preserve this Hotel. Unless of course you line our pockets, then all of a sudden that hotel just goes away.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
It works like this. There is a historical ordinance that says we can hold up your project to preserve this Hotel. Unless of course you line our pockets, then all of a sudden that hotel just goes away.

That's not how it works.

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
Detroit Politics brotha.

Hundreds of decrepit buildings in Detroit should have been tore down years ago.

I have a lot of optimism for Detroit's future. But Detroit is gonna Detroit.
One of those buildings (The Eddystone) is going to be renovated. Olympia was pressured into the project with obvious reassurances of a green light for the demolition of Park Avenue. It's politics for sure, but when public funds are being used, you have to play along with the politicians. That's how it works.

Here's a shot from the other side of the construction:
CGa7XveWcAEafcF.jpg:large

(Credit: David Guralnick/The Detroit News)

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
There was tons of angst over Tiger Stadium, even though there isn't much to be done with a baseball stadium, besides baseball, but I have a soft spot for the Michigan Central Station, although it's in no-mans land between Corktown and Mexicantown, but I have a soft spot for a lot of downtown's architecture.

And it's not like things can't reverse themselves with the right people, look at the Book Cadillac.

So I can see why there's a holdup, and it's not like Ilitch and Gilbert haven't profited from some of these same scratch my back, I'll scratch deals before. They don't buy up half of downtown for the fun of it, over devs are looking for their cut too.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
There was tons of angst over Tiger Stadium, even though there isn't much to be done with a baseball stadium, besides baseball, but I have a soft spot for the Michigan Central Station, although it's in no-mans land between Corktown and Mexicantown, but I have a soft spot for a lot of downtown's architecture.

And it's not like things can't reverse themselves with the right people, look at the Book Cadillac.

So I can see why there's a holdup, and it's not like Ilitch and Gilbert haven't profited from some of these same scratch my back, I'll scratch deals before. They don't buy up half of downtown for the fun of it, over devs are looking for their cut too.

Michigan Central Station is really the only vacant building in Detroit I wouldn't want to tear down.

That place is a beaut. However I understand it is unlikely to ever have a tenant ever again.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Relocate The Park, brick by brick, to the failed jail sight in Greek Town. That's more of an eyesore than any abandoned building (thanks, Bob Ficano!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad