Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
yeeee haw lets get it started I am tired of peeing in a trough
Winnipeg-Jets-Fans-Want-Bathroom-Troughs.jpg

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
So did all the delayed votes push back the opening date of the new arena/complex?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't want to talk about my job here but City Council did exactly what they were supposed to do. I love Mike Illitch as a Wings fan but from a professional perspective, well, I'll just say that Illitch Holdings wields their power widely. Their real estate empire in this city is huge, way beyond Foxtown and other well-known areas, and some of the same blighted buildings that you've probably cursed on a drive around town are owned by the company and have been for decades with little to no abatement.

Even just tabling this demand was a smart move on the City's part and the fact that so many people are villainizing the City Council while backing the Illitches, morally speaking, is a testament to how little outsiders really know about Illitch Holdings. What's even more strange is that this is exactly the type of hard-nosed negotiating that the Council SHOULD have been doing for decades now and yet they're getting blasted for it. What you're ultimately getting out of this delay is (potential) blight abatement instead of the private pocket-lining of council members.

And I say this as an advocate for overhauling the City Council cast.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
City Council approved it, so I don't see this as any kind of issue.

Did the Historical Preservation Society okay the demolition of the one hotel on the site?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
City Council approved it, so I don't see this as any kind of issue.

Did the Historical Preservation Society okay the demolition of the one hotel on the site?

Not yet but it's a no-brainer and a formality at this point. The feeling around the deal is that you essentially save one building at the definite loss of another versus very likely losing both buildings, whether immediately or over time.

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
Until when do they expect to finish the new arena?
Since rezoning was approvd, it's gonna be officially ready for the 2017-18 season. So we have two more seasons at the Joe.

Details on funding, development, design
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...hursday-on-red-wings-arena-details-on-funding

Wondering who is paying for this arena and how...
It's a private/public investment. The public money is coming from the state selling bonds that Merrill Lynch and Comerica are buying, and the debt service on the bonds is paid through downtown property taxes captured by the DDA - with the bulk of that coming from corporations. It's actually the best way to finance a stadium if public funds are used since no money is coming from the city or state general fund.

On cost, financing of Wings arena: Here are answers
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...ost-financing-of-wings-arena-here-are-answers

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
So long Joe Louis sight-lines
It's hard to replicate the Joe sight-lines with a modern arena, but they are trying to make sure it's the best of the newer arenas in that regard. They've done some research and from what I've read, Montreal's Bell Centre is what they are replicating when it comes to the bowl seating.

"At the center of all of it," Ilitch said, of the entertainment district to be constructed beginning this spring, "will be an awesome new home for our Detroit Red Wings — an arena focused on an incredible experience for our fans and our players."

"Our talented project team has visited arenas all across the country and, actually, around the world. So that what we bring forward is truly world class and highly-unique to Detroit."

"And between visiting, basically, every arena out there, in my family's 30-plus years in professional sports, we're convinced that what makes the fan experience special is proximity to the playing surface, feeling very close to the action, amazing sight lines where every seat is a good one and an immersive experience that's engaging, exciting, loud, an intimidating place for the opposition to play."

"That's what we have planned for this bowl."
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...w-high-priority-red-wings-new-arena/23129145/

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
FSN interview with Chris Ilitch

They showed some footage from the excavation work being done.

Last edited:

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
A newer render from the official site:
rotator-neighborhood-woodward-square-00.jpg

Some renders from the recent season ticket promo:

Looks bloody amazing. Cannot wait. And should he a helluva lure for free agents as well, you can bet the Ilitches will spare no expense on the player experience/comforts as well - in a salary cap league where money is pretty much equal, it's these things that could tip the balance in our favor. Also why would Babcock leave now when he could pretty much design the coaching quarters, lockerroom and have state of the art equipment at his disposal.

Has the lit up roof been done anywhere before? And it's my understanding that it will be more than just the Red Wing Logo, so special events could have their own design to light up the night sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->