The New Jersey Devils Defense

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

GM17*

I'm not sure how you can logically suggest that Larsson is going to be either scratched or riding the bench.

The coaches didn't think he helped out team be a winner in the playoffs + we had an injured veteran. I don't see that changing drastically in a shortened season with everyone healthy. He'll give him time on the ice, but I don't see him logging big minutes at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
The coaches didn't think he helped out team be a winner in the playoffs + we had an injured veteran. I don't see that changing drastically in a shortened season with everyone healthy. He'll give him time on the ice, but I don't see him logging big minutes at all.

If that's the case, he will be in the A i'd say.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
If the coaches don't think Larsson is a better option than two of our other d-men, he will be in the ahl. They will not sacrifice his development to have him in the press box

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
In a perfect world our top 6 would look something like this:

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson

But I doubt Volchenkov will be benched or traded so Larsson will most likely be the odd man out unless someone else is moved.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If a defenseman isn't traded for a forward or even a pick just to make room for Larsson, it would be a major blunder in my opinion. It's not logical to stick with what we've got from a money standpoint, from the standpoint of our lack of forward depth, and because it would stunt Larsson's(the future of the franchise) growth. Larsson brings more to the table, or at the very least more of what we need from our defense, than Tallinder, an offensive game. Tallinder is solid, but we've got good defensive d-men(Greene, Fayne, Sal, Volch). He brings nothing to the team that we don't have. I like Tallinder but if it's a choice between Larsson and him I don't think it should even be a decision to make. You go with Larsson 10 out of 10 times, at least I would. I don't see any drawbacks from dealing him. You shed some money, potentially gain a forward or pick, and you open up a spot for the future of the franchise. Get it done as soon as possible, Lou.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't stand Tallinder, and CORSI or not I doubt most people will be able to stand him after he gets a few games in this season.

Larsson has been too good in the AHL, and I doubt he'll be benched a whole lot. I had the feeling Larsson could start the season in the AHL, had the NHL season started on time, and that was the reason for having 8 defensemen signed. The had a very short leash with him late last year, and even played Volchenkov against Florida over him which was a joke cause he almost cost us that series. I don't think he'll see any AHL time for the rest of the year after this weekend, or for the rest of his career even.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
In a perfect world our top 6 would look something like this:

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson

i share the same opinion here i think. and i agree with the guy who said it would be a major blunder if larsson isnt in the starting 6.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Larsson is a cornerstone for the franchise now. He gets a spot I say and its his too lose.

I would go with:
Greene -- Fayne
Tallinder -- Larsson
Salvador -- Zidlicky

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Larsson is a cornerstone for the franchise now. He gets a spot I say and its his too lose.

I would go with:
Greene -- Fayne
Tallinder -- Larsson
Salvador -- Zidlicky

So Volch sits then? I just don't think sitting any of these guys is a smart thing to do, especially when you consider the lackluster group of forwards we're projected to be putting out there. Also, you just don't sit 3 or 4 million dollars on the bench. Someones gotta get shipped and Volch won't waive his NTC most likely.

engy

Mar 12, 2012
Have Zidlicky play forward, top 6. Solve right wing problems and glut of d men problems.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So Volch sits then? I just don't think sitting any of these guys is a smart thing to do, especially when you consider the lackluster group of forwards we're projected to be putting out there. Also, you just don't sit 3 or 4 million dollars on the bench. Someones gotta get shipped and Volch won't waive his NTC most likely.

I agree with you 100%. If Larsson is going to get the shaft because we have 6 veteran blueliners, I just don't get it.

Like you said, we need to make room for Larsson and I understand that injuries can occur at anytime but isn't that why we have Harrold? We need all the help we can get up front with the departure of Sykora, Poni and our ex captain plus the injury to Henrique to boot.

The notion of adding extra picks wouldn't hurt either cause we're most probably going to forfeit a 1st round pick in the next 2 drafts, so adding more amo for our own prospect pool or a possible trade wouldn't be a bad option IMO.

All in all, someone has to go and outside of Larsson, Fayne and Zidlicky... I don't really care who get's moved. I would prefer Volchenkov but beggars can't be choosers

Have Zidlicky play forward, top 6. Solve right wing problems and glut of d men problems.

I'd rather see A-Train on our 4th line, crush the living crap out of losers like Rupp when we'll face the Rags. Is Rupp still in the NHL? Is he still blaming the Devils for killing his offensive god-given-gift and his NHL career?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
No way Larsson doesn't start unless he is hurt. He was only 19 last season and still played the most 5 on 5 minutes on the team. My guess if everyone is healthy - Tallinder gets moved or something insane happens (4 defensive lines, 3 forward lines, and 1 fighter).

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

On second thought... If I were Lou, I'd keep Larsson in the minors for a little while, keep my roster the way it is now and when a opposing team will lose a d-men cause of a injury, you just know they'll come calling for the services of one of our veterans.

With the shortened season, the lack of training camp and the compressed games... injuries are going to be flying left and right IMO. Worst case, you move someone at the deadline to clear a spot for Adam and upgrade your forward depth at the same time.

2 for 1 :naughty:

Oroku Saki*

Larsson was playing 20+ minutes a night while Volchenkov was playing 14-16.

There is always a difference when 20 of those minutes are sheltered and 14 can be hard minutes. Not saying that is the case here but..

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

There is always a difference when 20 of those minutes are sheltered and 14 can be hard minutes. Not saying that is the case here but..

I don't want to bust balls here... but I have no idea why we keep throwing "excuses" at someone who's getting 15 minutes per game.

Threw all my time following and playing hockey, top players get top minutes, period. There's no such thing as a player earning tough but minimal minutes and vice versa.

As a coach, wouldn't you want your best players on the ice as often as possible? There has to be a reason why coaches double shift their best players while your average player sits and watches.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Oroku Saki*

I don't want to bust balls here... but I have no idea why we keep throwing "excuses" at someone who's getting 15 minutes per game.

Threw all my time following and playing hockey, top players get top minutes, period. There's no such thing as a player earning tough but minimal minutes and vice versa.

As a coach, wouldn't you want your best players on the ice as often as possible? There has to be a reason why coaches double shift their best players while your average player sits and watches.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Most of Volch's minutes are on the PK. I'd say that's harder then Larsson's ES minutes.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I love the fact that we have this problem. On paper this is a very solid group of defensemen, I can't wait to see how they do. The only concern I have is Larsson being benched. I'd be furious but I really can't see it happening.

apice3*

Larsson should not be benched, but I understand the business behind it. He's the only one that makes sense to sit, monetarily. I still expect a trade. Too much of a glaring hole at 2nd/3rd line wing and "too much" depth on defense. Hell, Jay Leach is our #9 and you could argue that he'd be able to play on a couple NHL teams.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

Just my 2 cents ;)

You're going to rile up the natives with that speak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad