The New Jersey Devils Defense

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Fayne on the PP over Greene hurts my eyes.

I get that it's nice to have symmetrical handedness, but DeBoer goes overboard. Or maybe it was Oates who did that dumb crap with Clarkson in the faceoff circle.

Ya, but it won't be Fayne over him. It would be Larsson or Zidlicky, at least this year. Maybe Gelinas or Merrill in the future.

i think he'll probably get 2nd pairing minutes even strength, 2nd unit pp, and probably still wont see much of him on the pk.

I think this is accurate.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Our D definitely needs more goal scoring. Been saying this since last year. It will help make up for some of the lost goal production. I'd like to see each defenseman score 5 goals, or at least at a 5 goal per 82 game pace. If someone is only on a 2 or 3 goal pace, then maybe someone else can be at a 7 or 8 goal pace.

Of course in an 82 game season.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I still remember when that Jackass#94 guy said Winnipeg will crush us this year cause they signed Jokinen this year!:laugh: Jokinen's such a curse to playoff teams he was traded to the Rangers at the deadline that year they barely finished outside of 8th place.

Oh yeah we're talking Jussi Jokinen! I'd take either one over Janssen!

Wait a minute Tretyak. Are you talking about Olli? Jussi never played for the Rangers. I was thrown off by the comment about your dad being a lifelong Rangers fan.

Yeah, I was talking about Olli Jokinen. I don't think I've watch more than three or four games Jussi Jokinen played in. Is that who you were talking about?

Janssen is a psycho and possibly the least skilled player in NHL history, but at least he tries!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He'd have to pick his offence back up again too. He doesn't produce points like a #1 should.

If he was played in an offensive role he certainly would. DeBoer deems to prefer him as a mobile two-way defender, and I don't disagree with him, but in a role where he's allowed to take the initiative more often he's certainly a 35-40 point plus player.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I was talking about Olli Jokinen. I don't think I've watch more than three or four games Jussi Jokinen played in. Is that who you were talking about?

Janssen is a psycho and possibly the least skilled player in NHL history, but at least he tries!

Yes it's been a few nights now, but I believe Apice was talking about Jussi Jokinen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha there's a thread on the Penguins board debating whether to buy out, or trade Paul Martin. Man have the times changed.

Remember when some of us were still bummed Paul Martin didn't stay? I was one of them just a little over a year ago.

As much as we complain about Volchenkov, I think Martin's contract is worse. He brings more offense, but $5.5 million worth? GTFO!

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
...As far as our D goes, I think that:

Volchenkov can easily blossom into the punishing hitter/shutdown guy we need.

Tallinder will continue to solidify his game and become a major asset.

Greene has established himself as a very solid B+ NHL defenseman.

Salvador has bled for this team, shown real leadership and played very well.

Zidlicky is the only real offensive D we have, and can cover his own end, too.

Fayne will only get better, and will easily be a top-4 D for a long time.

Larsson is the real deal. A future top-pairing all-star.

...So who do we trade? I'm just glad I don't have Lou's job.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
...As far as our D goes, I think that:

Volchenkov can easily blossom into the punishing hitter/shutdown guy we need.

Tallinder will continue to solidify his game and become a major asset.

Greene has established himself as a very solid B+ NHL defenseman.

Salvador has bled for this team, shown real leadership and played very well.

Zidlicky is the only real offensive D we have, and can cover his own end, too.

Fayne will only get better, and will easily be a top-4 D for a long time.

Larsson is the real deal. A future top-pairing all-star.

...So who do we trade? I'm just glad I don't have Lou's job.

Tallinder, and I'm sure by game 1 or 2 of the season others will be saying it too, if they're not already. If he's paired with Fayne I'll give it halfway through the first period of game 1.

We went from bubble team halfway through the season to game 4 of the SCF without him. He's good depth sure, but I can't possibly see how this team will be worse off without him. If we get a forward back that takes as much of a cap hit as him that's cool. If we don't well then it frees up salary for next year. I'd rather spend the $3+ he's making on a forward. Someone cheaper can replace him eventually too like a guy who's now in the A.

apice3*

I was talking about Jussi. Don't really want Olli, but there's no way he's a worse option than Janssen as was suggested.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was talking about Jussi. Don't really want Olli, but there's no way he's a worse option than Janssen as was suggested.

The only worse option than Janssen is picking up Boulton off waivers from the Isles, or getting Andrew Peters out of retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles put that bum on waivers this year either.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

My original post was hyperbole. Janssen is basically a place holder for "something almost competely useless". In other words, I wouldn't trade something almost completely useless for Olli Jokinen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Janssen won't be replaced by something useless. He'll be sent to Albany, and we don't have to have a goon in the lineup every night. If he is on the roster to start the season he's taking up a spot someone else should have. Especially since he's the only non entry level guy on a two way for one. And for two because we have 8 defensemen right now we will only be able to carry 13 forwards unless someone is on LTIR.

apice3*

Center and defensive depth wins Cups. That's why I still believe we can contend this year, regardless of what Ranger fans think. We have any combination of Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, Henrique, Josefson, and Gionta up the middle. We have 8 D-men that can play 20 minutes a night. As long as Brodeur and Hedberg can stay on their games, there is no reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. Hopefully we land Sykora and make a trade for a rental winger. Would be cool to land Ponikarovsky again. I think trading for Weiss could make sense too, if we want to move some guys around.

Kovy - Zajac - Henrique
Sykora - Elias - Zubrus
??? - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Looks fine to me, even without Parise. But it just makes so much sense to trade a D-man for a 2nd/3rd liner to completely balance this team out.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Center and defensive depth wins Cups. That's why I still believe we can contend this year, regardless of what Ranger fans think. We have any combination of Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, Henrique, Josefson, and Gionta up the middle. We have 8 D-men that can play 20 minutes a night. As long as Brodeur and Hedberg can stay on their games, there is no reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. Hopefully we land Sykora and make a trade for a rental winger. Would be cool to land Ponikarovsky again. I think trading for Weiss could make sense too, if we want to move some guys around.

Kovy - Zajac - Henrique
Sykora - Elias - Zubrus
??? - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Looks fine to me, even without Parise.

That does look good, but hopefully we won't have to wait until the playoffs to roll with that. I can't see Janssen going up to Albany though if we sign Sykora, or if Tedenby makes the team instead, and impresses once Henrique is back, I can see Janssen getting the demotion since he's on a two way. If we do trade a defensemen it's a non issue though.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
If he was played in an offensive role he certainly would. DeBoer deems to prefer him as a mobile two-way defender, and I don't disagree with him, but in a role where he's allowed to take the initiative more often he's certainly a 35-40 point plus player.

Maybe, but he needs to be put on the PP for that to happen. We'll have to see what Shaw decides to do with it. If he keeps Oates's right hand rule, Greene will top out at 15 points again.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Haha there's a thread on the Penguins board debating whether to buy out, or trade Paul Martin. Man have the times changed.

Remember when some of us were still bummed Paul Martin didn't stay? I was one of them just a little over a year ago.

As much as we complain about Volchenkov, I think Martin's contract is worse. He brings more offense, but $5.5 million worth? GTFO!

i'd take martin back in a heartbeat, if we could get rid of tallinder. certain players (mostly defensemen) play way above their level in NJ, and not anywhere else (martin, oduya, even white to an extent.)

GM17*

Larsson will see spot duty until he shows

PP2 maybe

Some weak 5on5 action vs ****** players.

INCOMING LINE UP

WARNING

LINE UP INCOMING

FORWARDS
Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m)
Petr Sykora ($0.650m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Bobby Butler ($0.525m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m)
Cam Janssen ($0.575m) /
Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($1.300m) minute crunching
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) PPlay + offensive zone faceoffs
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) shutdown
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / spot duty

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.500m)
Johan Hedberg ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m) / Eric Boulton ($0.163m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,733,333; BONUSES: $262,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,729,167

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
Larsson will see spot duty until he shows

PP2 maybe

Some weak 5on5 action vs ****** players.

INCOMING LINE UP

WARNING

LINE UP INCOMING

FORWARDS
Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m)
Petr Sykora ($0.650m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Bobby Butler ($0.525m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m)
Cam Janssen ($0.575m) /
Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($1.300m) minute crunching
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) PPlay + offensive zone faceoffs
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) shutdown
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / spot duty

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.500m)
Johan Hedberg ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m) / Eric Boulton ($0.163m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,733,333; BONUSES: $262,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,729,167

I'm not sure how you can logically suggest that Larsson is going to be either scratched or riding the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad