The new and improved concussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Note: There are many more tweets posted concerning concussions. Would be worth the time to read more, especially the one about the kids.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
New Boston University study links repetitive hits to head, not concussions, to CTE

To quote:

"A Boston University study published Thursday detailed the strongest link yet that repetitive hits to the head -- not just those that produce a concussion -- can lead to the debilitating brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). The new research highlights the risks of younger athletes playing contact sports and could lead to questions about the effectiveness of current concussion protocols.

“We know now there is no question that some of these kids, some of these adults, who are playing through hits are actually in really bad shape," Lee E. Goldstein, a co-author of the study, physician and associate professor at Boston University School of Medicine and College of Engineering, told USA TODAY Sports."

Source: www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/01/18/boston-university-study-repetitive-hits-head-not-concussions-cte/1043489001/

Reactions: CrypTic and Killion

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Lindros, Habs’ chief surgeon say NHL silent on concussion funding pitch

To quote:

"Eric Lindros and Montreal Canadiens’ chief surgeon Dr. David Mulder say they asked the NHL to invest $31 million - $1 million per team - in brain trauma research on the eve of the 2017 NHL All-Star Game.

A year later, with the 2018 game less than a week away, Lindros and Dr. Mulder say they have yet to receive an answer from the NHL."

Source: www.tsn.ca/lindros-habs-chief-surgeon-say-nhl-silent-on-concussion-funding-pitch-1.975356

Reactions: CrypTic

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Bob Costas will skip the Super Bowl because of the NFL’s connection to brain trauma

To quote (via Sports Business Daily within the article):

"“I have been making the same points for several years, often on NBC. In halftime commentaries, interviews with Roger Goodell and other prominent NFL figures, appearances on CNN and elsewhere, I have addressed the issue of football and its undeniable connection to brain trauma many times. Why? Because the evidence is overwhelming and the effects are often devastating. It’s the elephant in the stadium at every game whether others choose to acknowledge it or not. And it’s not going away. So the idea that I am only now finding my voice on this, or that NBC was taken aback by what I said at Maryland is just wrong. It’s all simple and straightforward.”"

Source: www.sbnation.com/2018/1/24/16927456/bob-costas-super-bowl-brain-trauma-nfl

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Saw this on the news yesterday.... and good for Bob Costas. Most unfortunate the NFL decided to take the action they did.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
^^^ Saw this on the news yesterday.... and good for Bob Costas. Most unfortunate the NFL decided to take the action they did.

Yeah...with the hit that occurred on New England's Gronkowski in the playoff game...in which he did not return due to the current concussion protocols...and could be doubtful for the Super Bowl...I wonder what the reaction will be then if he does not play...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Family of Late UMD Hockey Player Andrew Carroll Donating His Brain to Research

To quote:

"The family of the late former UMD hockey player, Andrew Carroll is choosing to donate Carroll's brain to the CTE Center at Boston University.

"It was an easy decision," Chris Carroll told KSTP-TV. "In some respect it brought some comfort to my parents. Certainly not that it's going to be a silver bullet answer, but it can certainly help shape things moving forward," said Carroll."

Source: www.wdio.com/news/andrew-carroll-umd-suicide-cte-research-/4761510/

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Hits to the Head May Result in Immediate Brain Damage

To quote:

"But when the researchers closely examined the young men’s brains, they found more harm than they had expected. The teenagers’ blood-brain barriers, a natural defense system that keeps harmful substances from entering the brain, appeared to have been damaged, and many of the small blood vessels throughout their brains had sprung tiny leaks. Two of the brains showed disquieting accumulations of tau proteins near these broken blood vessels, and one brain had diagnosable Stage I C.T.E.

This was the first time that scientists had found signs of incipient or actual C.T.E. so soon after a brain injury and in people so young."

Source: www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/well/move/hits-to-the-head-may-result-in-immediate-brain-damage.html

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Honestly it's a crapshoot. I meet retired NHL & NFL players who display serious symptoms and others who have none. I'm talking similar career lengths too.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
[Ex-hockey stars] Angela Ruggiero, Hayley Wickenheiser pledge brains to concussion research

To quote:

"American bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor also was included in the announcement. Other prominent female athletes who have pledged their brains for concussion research include soccer player Abby Wambach and swimmer Jenny Thompson.

"As a woman, I know a lot of studies skew towards male subjects, so it's important to have more female brains to study," Ruggiero said in a news release. "I felt it was important for me to put my foot forward and pledge my brain to help this great cause and to learn more about the effects of sports. If it can help future generations, it's worth it to me. I hope my actions can inspire others to do the same, specifically other athletes and specifically female athletes because any study has to have a balanced representation of both genders.""

Source: www.espn.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/22348452/ex-hockey-stars-angela-ruggiero-hayley-wickenheiser-pledge-brains-research

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
FDA approves first blood test for concussion

To quote:

"The US Food and Drug Administration has, for the first time, approved a blood test to help detect concussion in adults.

The Brain Trauma Indicator test measures two biomarkers: proteins known as UCH-L1 and GFAP that are released upon injury to the brain and pass through the blood-brain barrier. Elevated levels of the proteins can be detected within 15 or 20 minutes of injury. The test can be taken within 12 hours of injury, and results can be obtained within three or four hours."

Source: www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/health/concussion-blood-test-fda-bn/index.html

Reactions: Thrive

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
FDA approves first blood test for concussion

To quote:

"The US Food and Drug Administration has, for the first time, approved a blood test to help detect concussion in adults.

The Brain Trauma Indicator test measures two biomarkers: proteins known as UCH-L1 and GFAP that are released upon injury to the brain and pass through the blood-brain barrier. Elevated levels of the proteins can be detected within 15 or 20 minutes of injury. The test can be taken within 12 hours of injury, and results can be obtained within three or four hours."

Source: www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/health/concussion-blood-test-fda-bn/index.html

Now thats interesting. An nhl player pulled and giving a bloid sample to see if those chemicals appear. Im guessing the nhlpa would have to agree on allowing it to happen.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm sure that there are ways to "ensure" the player is properly tested/diagnosed. It may already be in the CBA that the players allow the team to perform "necessary" diagnostic tools to ensure their health. If not, I might expect something more explicit coming.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Former Seahawks' brains shed light on NFL head injuries

To quote:

""He [Seahawks Center Grant Feasel] had severe CTE," said [Boston University neuropathologist Dr Ann C.] McKee as she sat in her office in January looking at a slide through her microscope. "He was in his 50s when he died, but he had CTE that had started to affect widespread regions of his brain. It was really riddled with disease," she said.

"Every time you see anything brown, it's abnormal," said Dr. McKee as she pointed to widespread dark brown regions on the image of Feasel's brain.

"All this brown is Tau protein inside of nerve cells, and that's what the Tau does, it builds up inside of nerve cell..." and leads to loss of cognitive skills, depression and suicide, said McKee."

Source: www.king5.com/article/news/local/investigations/former-seahawks-brains-shed-light-on-nfl-head-injuries/281-520803554

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad