The new and improved concussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Thx for bringing that to our attention cbc, Llama... worthwhile viewing for sure.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

The NHL needs a new Logo...I suggest...

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Conroy: Bruins legend Terry O’Reilly would fight to keep today’s NHL fast and clean

O’Reilly also reiterated his anti-fighting stance, which was borne as much out of practicality than anything else.

“I always said that it can’t last. It’s called a sport. You can’t have a game where you allow two grown men to drop the gloves and start punching each other. The NHL can’t defend themselves against a concussion suit if they allow that to continue to happen. It’s just common sense,” O’Reilly said. “But what was beautiful about the game, and they haven’t lost this, is the players would compete so hard, so intensely that they were willing to get to that point where they dropped the gloves. That’s what you want to maintain, that absolute intensity.

From one of the NHL's all time fighters.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Family of Late Minnesota Hockey Star [Jeff Parker] Waiting for Results from CTE Lab

To quote:

"Before his death, Parker joined the lawsuit which accuses the NHL of downplaying the consequences of concussions and repeated head trauma; consequences that Parker's brother, Scott Parker, said became abundantly clear in Parker's final years.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettmann has said the science behind CTE is inconclusive, and that it's premature to warn players about the potential consequences as they relate to hockey.

Dr. Ann McKee, chief of neuropathology at Boston's VA hospital and director of the CTE Center, dismisses the league's claims as profit-driven denials of science.

"If you've got a vested interest in this problem not existing, I'm never going to turn those people around … but the evidence is overwhelming," McKee told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS during an interview last month inside her lab."

Source: kstp.com/news/family-of-late-white-bear-lake-hockey-star-former-buffalo-sabre-jeff-parker-awaits-results-from-boston-cte-lab-/4800959/

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Players from NHL, junior leagues seeking brain scans without team involvement - Article - TSN

Dr. Cook said he’s discovered blood flow abnormalities in the brains of about one-quarter of the roughly 80 active NHL players he has examined.

“Unfortunately there are a number of them,” he said. “They just are not comfortable telling anyone about it.”

The active players who have been tested include some of the NHL’s top young stars, a source told TSN. Their identities have not been made public and Dr. Cook declined to identify any players involved in the tests, citing privacy rights.

Dr. Tator said. “Despite the best efforts of the NHL officials to play down concerns, there is concern among players’ families. They are thinking more about it. And this is escalating as time goes on.”

Reactions: OscarsCards

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Players from NHL, junior leagues seeking brain scans without team involvement

To quote:

"More than 200 current and retired National Hockey League players have taken concerns about existing or potential brain injuries into their own hands by visiting a neurosurgeon in Kingston, Ont., for MRI brain scan procedures.

Dr. Douglas James Cook says at least 120 former and some 80 active NHL players have undergone the scans over the past two years. He said that about 50 active players combined from the Ontario Hockey League and Western Hockey League have also been tested at Queen’s University over the same time frame.

Dr. Cook said he’s discovered blood flow abnormalities in the brains of about one-quarter of the roughly 80 active NHL players he has examined."

Source: www.tsn.ca/players-from-nhl-junior-leagues-seeking-brain-scans-without-team-involvement-1.1014879

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ My God. This just keeps getting worse, and worse & worse. Evidence beyond overwhelming. :(

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
But the instant they admit a link.....the floodgates open

Ya, thats just it. I'm at a loss here to know what to think. I sympathize with both sides, understand why the NHL is reacting, dealing with it the way they have, are. On the other, well, pretty cold fish if you dont understand or sympathize with the players..... Theres just no easy answer. Even if you took checking out of the game altogether concussions will still occur though of course on nowhere near to the scale they have been and are but then.... who's going to pay to watch non-contact hockey?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Beanie Wells Undergoing Treatment For Brain Trauma, Which He Believes Was Caused By Football

To quote:

""I went for an MRI scan of my head and saw somethings on there that didn’t quite look right," Wells said. "I was getting headaches. My speech was getting a little indifferent and also, I was forgetting the littlest things."

Without wading into specifics, Wells further explained what he has endured and what caused it.

"The brain has plaque. I have some plaque separation. And when you have that plaque separation, it shows that you experienced some sort of traumatic brain injury. Obviously that traumatic injury for me came from playing football.""

Source: www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/03/91543/beanie-wells-undergoing-treatment-for-brain-trauma-which-he-believes-was-caused-by-football

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Commissioner Gary Bettman was asked during a 2015 deposition (unsealed today) whether NHLers have been warned of a possible link between head hits and CTE. Bettman: “Those exact words have not been used to my knowledge…"

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL attacks link between hockey, CTE in bid to exclude concussion expert from trial

To quote:

"A Toronto epidemiologist hired by the National Hockey League has told a U.S. judge overseeing the NHL concussion lawsuit that it’s impossible to prove a link between hockey and chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, because some people who haven’t played contact sports have wound up suffering from the brain-withering disease.

In court documents filed on Wednesday in Minnesota, Dr. David Cassidy, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Toronto’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health, wrote that U.S. District Court judge Susan Nelson should exclude the testimony of Dr. Robert Cantu from the high-stakes concussion case.

Dr. Cassidy wrote that Dr. Cantu’s opinion that there is a “nearly 100 per cent” link between head impacts and CTE is “flawed.”"

Source: www.tsn.ca/nhl-attacks-link-between-hockey-cte-in-bid-to-exclude-concussion-expert-from-trial-1.1022673

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is staggering

Nearly half of Patriots on first 3 Super Bowl-winning teams report brain injuries

42 of about 100 Patriots who were members of New England’s first three Super Bowl title teams have alleged in a landmark class-action concussion suit against the NFL and the helmet maker Riddell that they have experienced symptoms of brain injuries caused by the repetitive head impacts they absorbed in games and practices.

Rick Kehoe

Oct 8, 2017

Concussions will always be a part of sports, especially, at the highest level with the speed and power of these elite athletes. These players voluntarily choose a vocation with a relatively short career, but the opportunity to set their family up for life financially. We can talk all day about the NHL's actions in this matter, but the players themselves haven't helped themselves. Plenty of players sustain head trauma because the union hasn't mandated wearing full helmet protection, concussions are happening when players are also hit from the front and side of the head.

We also have to remember the scores of pro athletes who are still performing at high levels, long after their careers ended. I strongly believe a three-pronged approach will reduce head injuries, and get the problem under control. First, technology and medicine will play a major roles. Equipment will improve, not only in terms of protection, but tracking collisions as well. And medically, the day will come when we have a real baseline on the CTE levels, and active players will be able to have their brains scanned for this information. Second, teams need to do a better job of remove starters when games have already been decided. Numbers of players have been injured this way. Thirdly, the players must be honest about continuing to play, and taking the offseason cognitive tests accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad