OT: The Movie/TV/Streaming Thread

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
“Mayfair Witches” and “A Discovery of Witches” are both terrible. Couldn’t find a good witch show; f***ing ticked

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
“Mayfair Witches” and “A Discovery of Witches” are both terrible. Couldn’t find a good witch show; f***ing ticked

The first 2 seasons of Penny Dreadful are worth a watch if you want an elegant mix of highbrow literary and lowbrow gore in a Victorian setting. The second season is specifically based around witchcraft.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The first 2 seasons of Penny Dreadful are worth a watch if you want an elegant mix of highbrow literary and lowbrow gore in a Victorian setting. The second season is specifically based around witchcraft.

It's been a few years since we watched Penny Dreadful, but the thing that still sticks out to me is, that guy that played the monster should have won an Oscar for pretty much every episode he was in.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I’ve watched all of season one and part of season two of A Discovery of Witches and liked it. Ymmv I guess.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I’ve watched all of season one and part of season two of A Discovery of Witches and liked it. Ymmv I guess.
It was an okay guilty pleasure watch but I had to tap out when
the main character started acting like a giddy high schooler with her first crush. Too much for me

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
on my list to watch before Christmas

One of my favorite "alternative Christmas movies." I don't watch it every year but probably every other.

Expected a bit more from Napoleon...but it was entertaining enough. Battle scenes were good...the rest mediocre.

Really? It looked bland as f*** from the trailers lol

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One of my favorite "alternative Christmas movies." I don't watch it every year but probably every other.

Really? It looked bland as f*** from the trailers lol
The trailers are hard to judge...they show their choice snippets and if they seem bland, the rest of the movie usually follows. But I like period pieces and the cinematography was good. The storyline and Joaquin Phoenix was mediocre though for sure.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I mentioned it upthread...yeah I thought it was good.

Was that you? Did you mention Paul Giamatti? I was aware of the film and positive critical reaction to it, but the post piqued my interest.

If so, thank you. I hated Sideways (2004) for various reasons, and have been leery of Giamatti since.

The Holdovers cured me of that. And helped with some other ailments.

Merry Christmas,

:xtree::snow:

on my list to watch before Christmas

Do so. A less complicated world and therefore a haven of sorts.

Funny, with heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad