The MLD 2012 Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Exactly

Indeed, he was the primary puck-carrier for New Jersey (as you are already well aware) from the defensive zone, through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone when he would pass to his wingers. Very old school breakout, with the center carrying the puck. Whether he was slowed by an injury or not is a matter for the courts, but the rule changes did allow him to show off his puck carrying abilities. His successor was a d-man, who also hasn't flourished outside of New Jersey.

Exactly. Canadiens after Doug Harvey was traded to the Rangers had centers who would lead the rush from inside the defensive zone. Backstrom, Beliveau, Goyette, Henri Richard

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Me and my grandpa can take lists as we are pretty much awake during night time in NA. Just send the lists to one of us and write in the thread that we should get PMed and we will make the pick for you.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Missed Pick Rule Amendment.

If a GM misses a deadline then a player from a pool should be substituted.

Pool would include the likes of Steve Buzinski, Gilles Lupien, etc. Lupien would be the elite talent in the bunch.:D

Random.org could be used for the choice.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Grant Warwick , RW

Dave Gagner , C

Gagner will provide offense and some grittiness despite his size to my 2nd line , warwick will provide offense and physical play alongside ricci on the 3rd.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
With Hedberwg asking to be skipped we're up.

We select Don Grosso, LW/C to start off our two way third line.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ugh... I am not a fan of taking players I'm not a fan of, or one-dimensional players. But there is no denying his sniping ability, and unlike most available players, he was actually a catalyst and not a complementary player. A winger, he has the most impressive percentage scores among all remaining players (417, counting his best 6 seasons) which is rare because at any given time, the player who fits that description is almost always a center.

He has 6 seasons of 29+ goals, all between the years of 1999 and 2006. He has led an NHL team in scoring six times, by margins of 1, 10, 11, 16, 25 and an incredible 29 points. He has consistently got the job done offensively with little help from linemates, so it will be interesting to see what he can do with Scott Gomez as his center.

I am, of course, talking about Miroslav Satan, W

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have a dozen Satan posts at least, extolling his virtues, including from the AAA2011 regarding some else's pick of him:

Miroslav Satan is misunderstood when criticized for being lazy and not checking. I watched a lot of Miroslav because he demonstrated a skill I found very exciting in the Dead Puck Era: aggressive forechecking. He is 6'3 tall and deceptively solid, using his size not to hit but to absorb hits and protect the puck as he flies into corners to retrieve the dumped puck. He killed penalties regularly for his positional play, scoring 15 shorthanded goals in Buffalo.

I profiled Satan after the AAA8 draft as a guy who should have been picked. I have always been a fan of his, listening to others have a negative attitude, largely because he didn't hit, liked playing with the puck more than initiating physical contact.

2002 World Championships Gold, 13 pts in 9 games
2000 World Championships Top Player of the Tourney with 10 goals in 9 games

2003 World Championships 10 points in 9 games
2004 World Championships 8 points in 9 games
2007 World Championships 8 points in 7 games

9 goals in 8 games in the 1994 Olympics

6-time regular season scoring leader for the Buffalo Sabres
40-goal scorer in 1999 when his Sabres went to the Stanley Cup finals
NHL all-star game (2000, 2002)

335 NHL goals, 679 points in 930 NHL games ( a decent 38 pts in 56 NHL playoff games)
113 NHL powerplay goals
47 NHL game-winning goals (including an amazing 32 GWGs in 7 full Sabres seasons)

satan_vs_nylander.jpg

I watched Satan on Long Island after the lockout, and he was on fire: 3rd best in the NHL in 2005/06 with a 7-in-10 record in the shootout.

:teach2: Recorded three straight game-winning goals in the 07/08 season on 11/3 vs. PIT, 11/6 vs. NYR and 11/10 vs. NJD. It was the first time an Islander accomplished the feat since Bryan Trottier in January of 1982.

:clap: forget about tdmm, LOVE THE GUY PERSONALLY! Him, Modano and Marleau are BIG and skilled players who aren't physical particularly, but who have special skills. Modano is American and has a cup so is pimped more than Marleau and Satan, but they are three of a kind in my books! (none a stitch better than the other imo based on what I have seen and appreciated about each of their careers).

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I always thought he really looked like the devil personified...not sure why, but when I go to hell, I'm expecting Miro to be running the show...

Additionally, he's pretty happy about laying this rare beat down on...

satanfight.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't know why Satan has always fallen below the MLD before now

Edit: I'm not as excited about the pick as VI though

Hey, forget about you! :p:

Yeah, if I got him now and his offensive record is the best left, that probably means he "belongs" somewhat higher. Not sure where though. Because a lot of the players taken already have some other redeeming qualities (glue guys, for example), and those with decent enough offensive records probably deserve to be picked ahead. Plenty that I can think of off the top of my head, though, don't.

The x-factor is also the whole "leading a team in scoring" thing. Six times is a ton, and although I haven't done much research into this, I don't think any available player even approaches this. Furthermore, his margins of 29 and 25 points may be the 2nd and 3rd-highest margins among available players (I found a guy who did it once by 35 points, but that's it) - depending on how one feels about leading a team in scoring, he could be a steal.

(FWIW, I obviously think that 75 points when no one else on your team has 60, is more impressive than 80 on a line with two other guys who also had about 70-80, but there are varying schools of thought on that)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have a dozen Satan posts at least, extolling his virtues, including from the AAA2011 regarding some else's pick of him:

:clap: forget about tdmm, LOVE THE GUY PERSONALLY! Him, Modano and Marleau are BIG and skilled players who aren't physical particularly, but who have special skills. Modano is American and has a cup so is pimped more than Marleau and Satan, but they are three of a kind in my books! (none a stitch better than the other imo based on what I have seen and appreciated about each of their careers).

You seriously think Modano, Marleau, and Satan are comparable? I... Don't even know how to respond to that....

IMO, Satan got a lot of criticism for being the only offense-only forward on a team full of grinding types, so his lack of intangibles really stood out in comparison. But someone needs to score the goals

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I always thought he really looked like the devil personified...not sure why, but when I go to hell, I'm expecting Miro to be running the show...

Additionally, he's pretty happy about laying this rare beat down on...

satanfight.jpg

Only slightly less frequently than Dave Ellett! :laugh:

ok, tarheel, sorry, I know that was mean and you retracted that statement. :handclap:

But yeah, I have always thought Satan looked somewhat "devilish", name notwithstanding.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Montreal Orfuns adopt LW Danny Grant - Montreal, Minnesota, Detroit.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/grantda01.html

He is the guy I was pretty close to selecting before going with Satan. Similar "best 6" seasons in terms of point totals but was not as critical to his team's offense. I looked hard to find other qualities but he seemed pretty "offense only" like Satan. I liked his durability and his two years as Detroit captain though.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You seriously think Modano, Marleau, and Satan are comparable? I... Don't even know how to respond to that....
Satan was an elite forechecker, recovering many pucks that were dumped into the offensive zone. But he didn't like to BACKCHECK. There's a big difference between the two skills, and he's a poster boy for the difference. He was puck hungry when a scoring chance was at hand, but really wasn't an end-to-end rusher nor finsh-your-check kind of player. I thought his hockey sense excellent inside the offensive zone. He had a real nose and hunger for the puck where it mattered most, and internationally doubly so as he clearly had the skil to skate past the Adam Foote types of this world.

I would've drafted Miroslav in the AAA 2012 if no one else would have taken him sooner. Way to go seventieslord. I haven't a ***** clue about his stats but I saw him play in Buffalo and Long Island and only a list of others prevents me from drafting him earlier. Bravo! Gawd that almost makes up for drafing McCabe and Doughty as top-3 material (at least in my estimation).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Satan was an elite forechecker, recovering many pucks that were dumped into the offensive zone. But he didn't like to BACKCHECK. There's a big difference between the two skills, and he's a poster boy for the difference. He was puck hungry when a scoring chance was at hand, but really wasn't an end-to-end rusher nor finsh-your-check kind of player. I thought his hockey sense excellent inside the offensive zone. He had a real nose and hunger for the puck where it mattered most, and internationally doubly so as he clearly had the skil to skate past the Adam Foote types of this world.

I would've drafted Miroslav in the AAA 2012 if no one else would have taken him sooner. Way to go seventieslord. I haven't a ***** clue about his stats but I saw him play in Buffalo and Long Island and only a list of others prevents me from drafting him earlier. Bravo! Gawd that almost makes up for drafing McCabe and Doughty as top-3 material (at least in my estimation).

So you mean he was similar to Marleau and Modano as forecheckers, not all-round players? That's much more reasonable :)

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Linemates

He is the guy I was pretty close to selecting before going with Satan. Similar "best 6" seasons in terms of point totals but was not as critical to his team's offense. I looked hard to find other qualities but he seemed pretty "offense only" like Satan. I liked his durability and his two years as Detroit captain though.

Had Satan and Grant as equal. However Grant/O'Shea/Larose formed a #1 line in Minnesota. Since the Orfuns have Larose and three centers better than O'Shea offensively and defensively your choice of Satan fit nicely.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So you mean he was similar to Marleau and Modano as forecheckers, not all-round players? That's much more reasonable :)
Yeah, Marleau's hands around the net and Modano's wheels through the neutral zone are a different matter!

In an ATD context... I think Modano a marginal but legit second liner, Marleau a legit fourth liner and pp performer, and Satan a marginal extra skater, if that, but certainly a deserving second liner in a less than elite level all-time competition, ie., MLD. But i suspect many think him comparable to many who'll go in the late AAA draft, unfortunately.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
almost makes up for drafing McCabe and Doughty as top-3 material (at least in my estimation).

I'm curious to hear what you think about Rob Ramage, Roman Hamrlik, Doug Bodger, Adrian Aucoin, Pavel Kubina, Dave Babych, Steve Chiasson, Phil Russell, Jerry Korab, Ed Jovanovski, Dick Redmond and Jyrki Lumme, because McCabe was generally more relied upon by better teams than all of these guys (who were as high as 4th on ATD depth charts), and usually by a legit ATD coach as well. He is also right in the middle of the group offensively, and allowed fewer ES goals per game/minute than all of them except Bodger - despite being the guy who faced the opposition's top players, which can't be said for every single player above. What makes him any worse than this group of ATD-canonized players aside from the "ewww, McCabe, he's a recent player I saw make a few giveaways" factor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad