The Metro is an absolute bloodbath

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm well aware, but the current format still doesn't necessarily allow the best teams to make it. That's my point.

The playoff system forces you to focus more on your division rather than the conference as a whole.

Just focus on being top 3 in your division. That gets you in the playoffs. Anything else is a bonus.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
One of montreal/boston over a metro team assuming they play the same pace right now is disgusting.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm well aware, but the current format still doesn't necessarily allow the best teams to make it. That's my point.

So far it has, after all 82 games have been played. Also depends on how you look at it after 30-some games. Straight points, and the Metro has 6 of the top 8 records in the East. Points%, and the Bruins are ahead of both the Rangers and Penguins, and right behind Washington.

What the current format might do is skew the playoff results. If it was 1-8 with division winners as the top 2 seeds, Pittsburgh plays Ottawa in the 1st round last year. But up to this point, the top 8 teams in each conference have made the playoffs each year.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
One of montreal/boston over a metro team assuming they play the same pace right now is disgusting.

If they keep the same pace the Bruins will finish ahead of Pittsburgh and NYR, and pretty much tie Washington. Columbus, NYI and New Jersey would be top 3 despite New Jersey having a negative goal differential.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

If all teams continued to play at their current pace, Boston would finish ahead of the Rangers and Penguins. Legitimately. Not due to the playoff format. The Bruins have played 5 fewer games then Pittsburgh, and are only 3 actual points behind them.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
So far it has, after all 82 games have been played. Also depends on how you look at it after 30-some games. Straight points, and the Metro has 6 of the top 8 records in the East. Points%, and the Bruins are ahead of both the Rangers and Penguins, and right behind Washington.

What the current format might do is skew the playoff results. If it was 1-8 with division winners as the top 2 seeds, Pittsburgh plays Ottawa in the 1st round last year. But up to this point, the top 8 teams in each conference have made the playoffs each year.

As long as you have 2 or 3 divisions and award the winners the top seeds, there's always a chance of something being off. It used to happen with the Southeast division all the time.

People always forgot that a big reason for this change in format and forcing divisional matchups in the first round is only partly due to rivalry. Yes, hardcore fans want to see some new blood because they know the teams, but the majority of fans will have more interest when their team plays a team they know and hate.

The other big reason for divisional games in the first rounds, which is the often forgotten one, is start times for the Western Conference. With the divisions mostly separated by time zone (as best as possible), forcing the first couple of rounds to be divisional maximizes the chance that the first 2 rounds are in or close to your time zone. The league/teams lose a lot of revenue and interest when a team on the west coast has to play a first round against a team in the central time zone. If you are a Kings fan and you have to watch your team play Dallas and then Minnesota in the first 2 rounds, your away games start at 5pm (maybe 6pm at best). Or vice versa, central teams have their away games start at 9pm and with overtime, can easily end after midnight.

The wildcards add some compromise instead of doing top 4 in each division and playing through your division until the Conference Finals. It's not perfect, but every other sport deals with this. The AL East in baseball has always been very good and sees teams that could win other divisions not make the playoffs, especially before the 2nd wildcard. Sometimes the NFL has 7-9 teams in the playoffs and 10-6 teams out of the playoffs.

And again, this still has not happened in terms of a team being on the outside looking in. It appears much more that way because divisional games are stacked toward the end of the season.

As much as people don't like it, especially those on the East who don't experience this, it is one of the reasons they did it this way.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
What people say is a super close division race is really just the former top teams of Pit and WSH being weaker due to the cap while no one outside of Columbus is ready to take their place.
What people say? What's your point besides the obvious? It is super close.

The Metro is one of the top two divisions in the NHL and jammed from #1 to 6.
One of Cbus, NYI, Wash, NJD, NYR, Pitt will miss the playoffs. I doubt the #6 Metro team will finish with a better record than Atlantic #3.
However it looks very likely that Metro will send 5 teams to the playoffs - at this point more likely than Central sending 5 in the WC.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You certainly can't compare points as a deciding factor on whether teams are good or not. Here's an example
Let's imagine the Tampa and Columbus play 6 games, non OT games and split them....Both teams get 6 points each.

Two poor teams...let's say Arizona and Colorado play 6 games, Arizona wins 2 regulation, win 1 in OT and lose one OT and lose 2 in regulation1 Colorado does the same thing obviously. Arizona and Colarado have 7 points. No way Arizona and Colorado are better than Tampa and Columbus .

These 3 point games have screwed the value of a true win.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

One of Cbus, NYI, Wash, NJD, NYR, Pitt will miss the playoffs. I doubt the #6 Metro team will finish with a better record than Atlantic #3.
However it looks very likely that Metro will send 5 teams to the playoffs - at this point more likely than Central sending 5 in the WC.

I think the bigger surprise is NJ or NYR making the playoffs. I expect it to even out over the season.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I think the bigger surprise is NJ or NYR making the playoffs. I expect it to even out over the season.
I tend to agree.
Didn't think NJD could keep up their fast start, but atm they're very much in the picture. NYR started awful then went on a run to get into the thick of the Metro action. With injuries to Nisky and Bura, Caps were up and down early.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
I don't think NJ makes it.

Philadelphia was also a "great" team last year-- but burned out at the 2nd half. I see the same thing happening to New Jersey this year.

I think Pittsburgh and NYR take the Wild card spots.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Carolina and Philly are also damn good teams.

If you consider Philly and Carolina to be damn good teams, you have very low expectations. Both have negative goal differentials, both have overrated defence and bad goaltending. Carolina's 2nd line C is Ryan.

If they are damn good, does that mean the 24 teams who have been better so far this season are "Amazingy Good" or some other superlative?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
This playoff format is a ****ing disgrace.

Penguins are currently legitimately out of the playoffs based on how they've played (Boston is only 3 pts behind with 5 less games played). Playoff format impacts the matchups, but so far the right 8 teams in each division have made it each season under this format.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Penguins are currently legitimately out of the playoffs based on how they've played (Boston is only 3 pts behind with 5 less games played). Playoff format impacts the matchups, but so far the right 8 teams in each division have made it each season under this format.

It's December 12th and my team has won back-to-back championships running that gauntlet, I don't give a crap about the standings right now. This format is bullshit, full stop, regardless of who I root for and that's what I've been saying since it was introduced.

I want my playoff formats to reward regular season results, not randomly beneficial geography.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd take Carolina and Philly over the bottom 5 in the Atlantic easily too. The division is stacked. Thanks to the stupid playoff format we'll probably play the 8th maybe even 9th place team in the east assuming we stay 2nd in the Atlantic.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Thats because the former teams are worse while no one else is notably better outside of Cbus compared to last year. There isnt a single metro team in the top 5

Ok?

The metro has sent 5 teams only once in this format we heard the same things last year about 6 metro teams being better than the atlantic only for the leafs to make it in the final WC spot with Tampa hanging right behind them. Expecting every team to contiune their play over an entire season is pretty comical. Divisional games will create a lot more seperation just as everyone said last year when the metro teams had their hot streaks

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
It's December 12th and my team has won back-to-back championships running that gauntlet, I don't give a crap about the standings right now. This format is bull****, full stop, regardless of who I root for and that's what I've been saying since it was introduced.

I want my playoff formats to reward regular season results, not randomly beneficial geography.

Then not only would you need to change the playoff format but you would also have to change the regular season schedule because if you have a few crappy teams in your division you'd also have "beneficial geography".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad