The Metro is an absolute bloodbath

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The other big reason for divisional games in the first rounds, which is the often forgotten one, is start times for the Western Conference.

That's the main reason. Detroit and Columbus were originally going to stay in the Central, until they came up with the wild card idea, which then linked the Central and Pacific again. Which is why I still think the best solution is an adaptable one, not one size having to fit all. The East can easily be 1-8, with no divisions if need be. It's all one time zone, with some north/south travel, but that part is a reality for all 31 teams. Let the West vote on the format that works best for western teams. The CTZ is not necessarily west, but everything west of the ETZ gets grouped into the west. That's just my crazy idea though.

Since one size has to fit all, the East has to weirdly be involved in the wild card, even though the reasons for the wild card, or even the new alignment in general, has nothing to do with the reality that eastern teams exist in. Detroit and Columbus were in a 4 time zone conference though, and Dallas was in the Pacific division, despite being physically closer to Washington and Carolina than they are SJ or LA. But then every alignment since 1967 hasn't made much sense.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
MetroCENTRAL
CLS39STL44
NYI37WPG41
WAS37NSH40
NJ36DAL35
NYR35MIN33
PIT35CHI33
PHI29COL30
CAR29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Metro is deadly.
The standings in Central and Metro are nuts.

A couple of losses and a team can plummet in the standings. Minny and Chicago probably make a big push and even Colorado is hanging around. Rangers and Penguins aren't going anywhere and PHI and CAR have a lot of young talent.

At this rate the race will still be log jammed in February. All I know is aside from when they play the Jets I hope the Metro beats the Central EVERY time ;)

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
If you consider Philly and Carolina to be damn good teams, you have very low expectations. Both have negative goal differentials, both have overrated defence and bad goaltending. Carolina's 2nd line C is Ryan.

If they are damn good, does that mean the 24 teams who have been better so far this season are "Amazingy Good" or some other superlative?

Carolina has been plagued by bad goaltending. There's nothing else wrong with that team other than that.

Philly has been one of the best teams at preventing goals 5 on 5. There's a lot of talent on that team as well. Also Haskstol is an awful coach that's keeping them back.

Reactions: Tripod

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Carolina has been plagued by bad goaltending. There's nothing else wrong with that team other than that.

Philly has been one of the best teams at preventing goals 5 on 5. There's a lot of talent on that team as well. Also Haskstol is an awful coach that's keeping them back.

There’s nothing wrong with that really team?

They might have the worst C depth in the entire NHL

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Philly won't stop underachieving until Hakstol is gone. Worst coach in the league.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
i hate this new playoff format some team from the metro could be out while a lesser team from the Atlantic could make it...just dumb imho

I'm not sure it's happened yet though.

What I mean is a team with more points not making it because of this format of auto-top 3 each division gets in.

But you should hate it because last year NYR had more points than every Atlantic team other than MTL yet are put in a wild card spot thus no home ice advantage.

It should absolutely just be 2 conferences with the top 8 point getters getting in,

but then why not go even further and just make it top 16 teams in the league, no conferences etc.

The thing is the NHL wants to spark some rivalries and this is how they think it is more likely to happen.

From my perspective with my team, the idea of Leafs vs. Boston or Montreal (wish Ottawa was doing better, that's the dream match up there for me) looks like a very real possibility, so in that regard I like the format, but it has serious potential for unfair flaws I agree with that for sure.

Do fans of other teams see potential awesome rivalry matchups happening due to this format? To me this is the only potential positive.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I'm not sure it's happened yet though.

What I mean is a team with more points not making it because of this format of auto-top 3 each division gets in.

But you should hate it because last year NYR had more points than every Atlantic team other than MTL yet are put in a wild card spot thus no home ice advantage.

It should absolutely just be 2 conferences with the top 8 point getters getting in,

but then why not go even further and just make it top 16 teams in the league, no conferences etc.

The thing is the NHL wants to spark some rivalries and this is how they think it is more likely to happen.

From my perspective with my team, the idea of Leafs vs. Boston or Montreal (wish Ottawa was doing better, that's the dream match up there for me) looks like a very real possibility, so in that regard I like the format, but it has serious potential for unfair flaws I agree with that for sure.

Do fans of other teams see potential awesome rivalry matchups happening due to this format? To me this is the only potential positive.
agree i also feel like the rivalry is completely over hyped in the post season. every team wants to win it shouldn't be any different when it comes to a rivalry scenario

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
But.... but rivalries!!! People WANT to see Caps vs NYR or Pittsburgh again! Uncle Gary told me himself!
As a NYR fan, I'm sick and tired of facing the Caps. And then we even had the luck of being a wild card team playing against atlantic teams last playoff. Artificially created rivalries create no rivalries at all.

And I'm pretty sure Caps fans and Pens fans are equally tired of eachother. And yes, it's a damn joke that the Caps and Pens always face eachother in the 2nd round, simply because of the stupid playoff format. I mean, as a NYR fan I'm happy with that but as a hockey fan it's a tragedy.

Last edited:

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
To be fair, Derek Ryan is on pace for 40+ points this year, getting paid $1.4M - not bad for a 2C in terms of "value"

There’s nothing wrong with that really team?

They might have the worst C depth in the entire NHL

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think the Metro is going to settle. The Devils have been slowly getting worse the last 2-3 weeks and their GF-GA along with the Isles and Columbus argues they all should be worse than their records. The defense of the Jackets concerned me from day 1 and the Isles D it goes without saying ain’t good. I would not be in awe if they Rangers or Caps still won this division despite the fact both teams are in marked decline and may be basement dwellers within 3-4 years

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think the Metro is going to settle. The Devils have been slowly getting worse the last 2-3 weeks and their GF-GA along with the Isles and Columbus argues they all should be worse than their records. The defense of the Jackets concerned me from day 1 and the Isles D it goes without saying ain’t good. I would not be in awe if they Rangers or Caps still won this division despite the fact both teams are in marked decline and may be basement dwellers within 3-4 years
The jackets top 4 is pretty good (Jones/Werenski, Murray/Nuttivara) Johnson and Savard have been a shit show, Harrington needs to go and Carlsson might need a full season or two in the AHL before he's truly ready.

The problem now is that with Murray hurt it means entirely too much pressure on Savard and Johnson and they aren't the same players they were last season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Philly just lost 10 straight. Obviously a good team....

Old news. Just won 4 straight and have a home game against buffalo Thursday.

Philadelphia is not. I don't get why people keep thinking this.

Carolina is mediocre.

They have a horrendous coach which people do not refer to when discussing philly. We have a top end top line. Decent center depth. Some good young players that are playing their worst now and will improve as is the nature of a rookie.

If you consider Philly and Carolina to be damn good teams, you have very low expectations. Both have negative goal differentials, both have overrated defence and bad goaltending. Carolina's 2nd line C is Ryan.

If they are damn good, does that mean the 24 teams who have been better so far this season are "Amazingy Good" or some other superlative?

Elliot was third star of the week. Another good game last night. I think he’s been good.

With a win tomorrow night against buffalo we are 1 win away from a playoff spot. Pitt is ahead but has played two more games. Certainly will be very tough to get a playoff spot but we are a few more wins away from having one.

Not that this thread should be about the Flyers. Devils and islanders have been impressive. Rangers continue to push. The pens will certainly be pushing hard for a spot. Cbus is winning at a good clip obviously. Carolina is figuring things out and could do just that anytime. Flyers are a bubble team. I’m not sure too many teams would be thirilled at facing the flyers if they were good enough to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad