OT: THE MENU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Hawaii is a damn food desert and in some ways closer to a 3rd world Asian country than America. CDP, I guarantee you that you can find better bread and pizza and other "European" type foods in Thailand than here in Hawaii. It's a damn travesty. Seriously, the pizza from Costco might be some of the best pizza in the state. One of the better Italian restaurants here is owned and operated by a Vietnamese family. Similarly, the best bread here is baked by Vietnamese. The Mexican food here is terrible and there's not a decent northeast style sandwich in the whole damn state. BBQ? There's BBQ signs all over the damn place here. Unfortunately, there's not a real BBQ place in the state either, only Korean BBQ. What a ****hole. At least I like Spam, poke, and a bunch of other Asian food, but some actual variety would be nice for once.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hawaii is a damn food desert and in some ways closer to a 3rd world Asian country than America. CDP, I guarantee you that you can find better bread and pizza and other "European" type foods in Thailand than here in Hawaii. It's a damn travesty. Seriously, the pizza from Costco might be some of the best pizza in the state. One of the better Italian restaurants here is owned and operated by a Vietnamese family. Similarly, the best bread here is baked by Vietnamese. The Mexican food here is terrible and there's not a decent northeast style sandwich in the whole damn state. BBQ? There's BBQ signs all over the damn place here. Unfortunately, there's not a real BBQ place in the state either, only Korean BBQ. What a ****hole. At least I like Spam, poke, and a bunch of other Asian food, but some actual variety would be nice for once.
Wolf, I could be looking to go to Hawaii for our 5 year anniversary. Any inside info you could share on what island is the best to stay at, things to do, etc... We are more the outdoorsy type, like animals, beach, would want to see a real luau....not into the drinking/party stuff.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Wolf, I could be looking to go to Hawaii for our 5 year anniversary. Any inside info you could share on what island is the best to stay at, things to do, etc... We are more the outdoorsy type, like animals, beach, would want to see a real luau....not into the drinking/party stuff.
Honestly, I would stay away from Oahu. It is way too crowded and traffic is a nightmare. There's nice sights here and Pearl Harbor obviously, but any of Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii island would be your best bet to really experience Hawaii. Depending on how long you would plan to stay, you might be able to hit two of those islands. Inter-island travel is fairly affordable and quick. Any of those three islands should also have decent luaus if you look for them. Almost all of them will be commercialized, but not nearly as bad as on Oahu. Kauai is the Garden Isle and the most green of all of them and Maui is also beautiful and both have great hikes. Big Island is nice, but I would personally stick to the other two for a shorter trip. Diving, shark cage diving, skydiving, whale/dolphin tours, fishing, helicopter rides, surfing, paddleboarding, bike tours, and plenty of other outdoor things are pretty easy to come by on any of the islands. I like paddleboarding with the sea turtles for a good relaxing workout here.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Wolfman, he's not really the "reading" type, either. Likes to put gravy on things regular people don't. Will call soda damn near anything except "soda." Just don't take what he says at face value - everything he says is at least upside-down, and sometimes backwards.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's a little more dense than bologna so has a better chew to it. Different flavor too. I'd say bologna has more of a hot dogish flavor and pork roll is closer to a bacon/sausage hybrid. Imagine if you could taste things through the internet?

I'm pretty sure that you can gain weight through the internet, which doesn't seem at all fair. I am really struggling to hold serve with my weight lol

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Honestly, I would stay away from Oahu. It is way too crowded and traffic is a nightmare. There's nice sights here and Pearl Harbor obviously, but any of Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii island would be your best bet to really experience Hawaii. Depending on how long you would plan to stay, you might be able to hit two of those islands. Inter-island travel is fairly affordable and quick. Any of those three islands should also have decent luaus if you look for them. Almost all of them will be commercialized, but not nearly as bad as on Oahu. Kauai is the Garden Isle and the most green of all of them and Maui is also beautiful and both have great hikes. Big Island is nice, but I would personally stick to the other two for a shorter trip. Diving, shark cage diving, skydiving, whale/dolphin tours, fishing, helicopter rides, surfing, paddleboarding, bike tours, and plenty of other outdoor things are pretty easy to come by on any of the islands. I like paddleboarding with the sea turtles for a good relaxing workout here.
Appreciate all the info!

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
My friend's mom is Sicilian and her and her husband run a restaurant. Best Italian food i've ever had. Frutti di mare ...that is all i have to say.

I'm not sure of the name, but there is a local mom and pop italian place in Yardley / Morrisville where the meatballs and sausage is king. If anyone knows let me know.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Wolfman, he's not really the "reading" type, either. Likes to put gravy on things regular people don't. Will call soda damn near anything except "soda." Just don't take what he says at face value - everything he says is at least upside-down, and sometimes backwards.
He'll fit right in. We also like to put gravy on lots of things.

Loco moco, for instance. A hamburger patty on a bed of rice with a couple sunny side up eggs, covered in brown onion gravy. It's a nice light breakfast, which is why there definitely isn't an obesity epidemic here. :sarcasm:

Loco+Moco+Test+Cropped.JPG

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
My friend's mom is Sicilian and her and her husband run a restaurant. Best Italian food i've ever had. Frutti di mare ...that is all i have to say.
would take a human life to try it...never been to a real italian restaurant...love homemade lasagna and good pizza of course but wanna try real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad