OT: THE MENU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Ice tea can give you kidney stones?
Tea is high in oxalates, like cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, and others. You know the dry mouth feel you have after you eat those or drink tea? It's from the high oxalate content. You can get kidney stones from those vegetables as well, especially if you eat large amounts of them uncooked. This is compounded by poor diet, such as consuming tons of sugar and low amounts of calcium.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Tea is high in oxalates, like cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, and others. You know the dry mouth feel you have after you eat those or drink tea? It's from the high oxalate content. You can get kidney stones from those vegetables as well, especially if you eat large amounts of them uncooked. This is compounded by poor diet, such as consuming tons of sugar and low amounts of calcium.

I think it goes back to dehydration, right? I didn't know about the oxalates, but I thought I heard that the tannins in tea cause you to be dehydrated and then you can't break down the mineral content, or the calcium, or some ****, and it gets stuck down there in your wang and instead of having a slash when you want, you end up feeling like there is a Bettman-sized gremlin in your Johnson stabbing you with his tiny gremlin sword.

Reactions: Stizzle and Tripod

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
EDIT: I stand corrected. See WW's post below.
I took a molecular biotechnology class and every once in a blue moon a topic comes up that we discussed. It's mostly useless knowledge and the Indian professor was a real pain in the ass.

I think it goes back to dehydration, right? I didn't know about the oxalates, but I thought I heard that the tannins in tea cause you to be dehydrated and then you can't break down the mineral content, or the calcium, or some ****, and it gets stuck down there in your wang and instead of having a slash when you want, you end up feeling like there is a Bettman-sized gremlin in your Johnson stabbing you with his tiny gremlin sword.
Water is definitely the best way to prevent kidney stones. I'm not aware of tannins having any correlation with kidney stones, other than many high tannin foods are also high in oxalates. From my knowledge, most kidney stones are calcium oxalate crystals, but there are many different types and disease and/or genetics may play a bigger role in some kinds. If you have a diet with a high level of oxalates and low calcium, the oxalates will not be bound to calcium in the intestines. The unbound oxalates then eventually can make it to the urine, which is at a lower pH where the calcium and oxalate will make calcium oxalate salt crystals or the jagged bastards that come out of your urethra.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
SKlgIRw.jpg

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hmmm, thanks for the info. I have been drinking tea a good bit for a while now. At least I take a calcium supplement with my other vitamins daily.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Honestly, I would stay away from Oahu. It is way too crowded and traffic is a nightmare. There's nice sights here and Pearl Harbor obviously, but any of Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii island would be your best bet to really experience Hawaii. Depending on how long you would plan to stay, you might be able to hit two of those islands. Inter-island travel is fairly affordable and quick. Any of those three islands should also have decent luaus if you look for them. Almost all of them will be commercialized, but not nearly as bad as on Oahu. Kauai is the Garden Isle and the most green of all of them and Maui is also beautiful and both have great hikes. Big Island is nice, but I would personally stick to the other two for a shorter trip. Diving, shark cage diving, skydiving, whale/dolphin tours, fishing, helicopter rides, surfing, paddleboarding, bike tours, and plenty of other outdoor things are pretty easy to come by on any of the islands. I like paddleboarding with the sea turtles for a good relaxing workout here.
I’m actually scheduled to go to Oahu with the wife for 2 weeks. Cousin and his family live on the island. We are staying at Kailua Beach at a place a 20 second walk from the beach. Any suggestions on restaurants? Also hope it’s notttt as bad as it sounds like lol

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Ok Change in Plans, Tonight is Chinese haven't had this in a long time. I'm not sure what your favorite chinese choices are.

I'm usually Hot and Sour Soup, spare ribs, chicken with brocceli but today I went different.

Went Dumplings and Shrimp LoMein and amazingly I didn't spill the soy or duck sauce anywhere yet.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I’m actually scheduled to go to Oahu with the wife for 2 weeks. Cousin and his family live on the island. We are staying at Kailua Beach at a place a 20 second walk from the beach. Any suggestions on restaurants? Also hope it’s notttt as bad as it sounds like lol
Kailua is real nice and I'm sure you'll have a great time. 2 weeks is perfect, the problem is, I've been here for about 8 years. The lack of variety of quality food is still astounding to me. I would murder for a proper cheesesteak or any sandwich from Capriotti's or a place even in the same genre, of which there are none here.

Kailua is honestly a residential area that has opened itself to some tourism, which is dominated by Japanese. It also houses Marine Corps Base Hawaii, so you'll see plenty of military haoles around. It has become more crowded in the last 5 years, as they opened a Whole Foods and Target. Lanikai beach is there and the surrounding homes are worth a literal fortune. That fact and the local hesitance towards development means there is really nothing in the beach area. There's no hotels or restaurants on the beach there, save some overpriced tourist traps on the other side of the road. As far as I know, there aren't even any hotels in Kailua besides people who rent out part of their houses for bed and breakfasts. However, the beach is nice and I'm sure there's plenty of beach activities to do there.

For breakfast, I would recommend Cinnamon's or either of Moke's or Boots and Kimo's. I would go for some Kalua Pig Eggs Benedict and/or Guava Chiffon pancakes, depending on my mood.

cinnamons.jpg

For lunch and dinner... honestly, I don't have a recommendation in that area, but I would find a plate lunch place and try to gain 2o lbs if I was here for 2 weeks.

1*ntfnXOiqJbsZmMwfxP7MHg.jpeg

1*S8C5BF8a23XK2zUJ6Bmqog.jpeg

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
BBQ ribeye and jumbo garlic shrimp ,,,,, may as well eat well if we are gonna be out of the playoffs in 6 hours

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That sounds fantastic. Ruth's Chris has always been reliably good no matter where I've been. Just please don't be a heathen and order it anything more done than medium rare. Anything more is a crime against humanity.

I am by no means a great chef, just ask @Tripod , but i do know how to grill a streak and broil a steak to rare. I have to thank Alton Brown for that piece of info. Anything more than rare tastes horrible to me.

Reactions: Tripod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->