GDT: The Masculine Daydream - Oil vs Flems 7:00 PM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
On Broberg I think his biggest problem is general lack of intensity and that is hard to fix. He's often in the right place to do the right thing, but isn't assertive enough to make it happen or gets beat on a puck he should have had.

For example, he has a tendency to make soft little touch passes all around the ice that aren't necessary. He'd be fine if he just passed it like normal, but he tries to make finesse plays when he doesn't have to that just result in turnovers and other problems.

He's like the anti-Darnell Nurse. Often in the right place, but doesn't have the intensity to make anything happen, where Nurse has the intensity, but isn't in the right place.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Vinny has been on the ice for one goal against 5 on 5 in 5 games is the best PKer of the 3 by mile. Also a massive right shot physical player he’s a lock. Gleason has been better than broberg in every aspect of the game. Broberg has been very unimpressive.
There’s too much Vinny hate here. He hasn’t been nearly as bad people here make it seem.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
IMO you send Broberg down and give Gleason a shot and carry Desharnais or a waiver claim as the 7D. Broberg needs to be playing lots to build up his play. He's still young enough that he could pan out as a decent NHLer. Looking less and less like he will be a big time impact NHLer.
Why not try him with Ekholm first? If that doesn’t work, send him down to play more. No harm no foul

Waive Broberg. Give Gleason a 20 game look.
Broberg needs to work on his game, his confidence and needs to recognize his weaknesses and strengths.
Put him in a game against a strong forechecking team like Minnesota or Dallas and I think Broberg fails hard. Not what he needs right now.

As many know I famously wished to trade two months ago Broberg for Kovacevic.
1) It was to minimize the risk of the asset we had underperforming and losing value.
2) It recognized that now is our prime year. We need to win now. This is our peak window and not a training year. Need to do very well this year in the playoffs and not have a frustrated Draisaitl. It recognized Desi though likeable was limited defensively and somewhat exposed with alot of work to do.
3) A D already trained and able was able to free up Kulak's untapped offense cause he won't be baby sitting and further the third pair would play more minutes because they were trustworthy--taking minutes away from potentially Nurse/Ceci or forcing Ceci to the second pair. 15 to 17 minutes by a third pair is extremely important. This is a game of inches. Saving time off of your first pair in the third when everyone is tired can be a highly effective strategy. The first can still be involved in lightning strikes in the third period instead of being tired and making mistakes. Though its not a crossover its similar to part of the value a 4th line brings in providing cycle and breathing space to the top two lines.

This is not the path Holland has taken with this 'Premium Asset'. Broberg's market value has substantively dipped and a trade similar to the one I suggested is no longer available.

So lets run with Gleason and try to repair Broberg. High risk choice by Holland.
Lets hope Broberg does not turn into the JP situation. An asset pissed away by lack of foresight.
2 1/2 years ago i wanted to trade JP. The usual suspects said nasty things then too.

Sometimes when you redesign the ship in a different way you get called a kook, or a person that can't evaluate asset value or talent, or have an inability to see the future, or my timing is off because teams don't usually make the trades at this time and actually some quite derogatory terms. Lets hope that Broberg does not turn into the 'Great Pumpkin'. (Please note my use of festive allusion. Was driving home today and encountered three or four houses already dressed up with amazing decor. One guy had chains running from his roof and an old smashed car leaning on the house. He probably will have doors open and dead bodies etc.).
No one is going to read all this when you already were wrong in your first sentence

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why not try him with Ekholm first? If that doesn’t work, send him down to play more. No harm no foul

No one is going to read all this when you already were wrong in your first sentence
Because players need to be able to stand on their own 2 feet at this level. If he needs Ekholm to look good then is he really all that good of a player? Ekholm is good enough that he can make just about anyone look good. Gleason can be claimed, Broberg cannot. Give Gleason a shot and if he sucks, waive him then. If he does well, then Broberg needs to earn his way back onto the team.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Because players need to be able to stand on their own 2 feet at this level. If he needs Ekholm to look good then is he really all that good of a player? Ekholm is good enough that he can make just about anyone look good. Gleason can be claimed, Broberg cannot. Give Gleason a shot and if he sucks, waive him then. If he does well, then Broberg needs to earn his way back onto the team.
It’s a cap thing due to the bonuses in Broberg’s contract. Basically, the Oilers need to have him on the opening day roster or it would not fit under the cap to send Gleason down in season and call up Broberg. Holloway is in the same situation. If they like Gleason over Broberg they could make the swap after the season starts, but Gleason will need to clear.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Holloway and Lavoie have the potential to transform the team offense from a top 6 to a top 9. I would like to see them get time with Nuge centering them.

Kane-McDavid-Brown
Foegele-Draisaitl-Hyman
Holloway-Nuge-Lavoie
Erne-Janmark-Ryan

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It’s a cap thing due to the bonuses in Broberg’s contract. Basically, the Oilers need to have him on the opening day roster or it would not fit under the cap to send Gleason down in season and call up Broberg. Holloway is in the same situation. If they like Gleason over Broberg they could make the swap after the season starts, but Gleason will need to clear.
Isn’t that rule only when you’re into LTIR space

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Connor Brown must be feeling more settled in after a couple goals. Playing on a new club that must help out. The one goal was a tap in but the other was a beauty snipe on a quick release. Not the finish you'd see from Yamamoto there.

On another note Hyman hasn't looked right for sometime. Are injuries still impacting him? Kane has been not much in preseason either although I didn't watch 3rd period so maybe missed something.

Gleason saved a GA at a stage in game where the score was strangely close. Skinner was out swimming on his chest, had totally blown the play. Another thing that I expect teams will pick up on is if you bang the puck off the backboards to create rebound at other side of net its a dangerous chance with Skinner. 2 times in the game Skinner was confounded by this on accidental rebounds of pucks that missed net. I would intentionally miss net for the bumper rebound and park a forward around there. Its a goal if you do that. Skinner will be down on shortside and not be able to get farside. Probably Flames will spot that on game film.
Hyman was on fire for a while last season, just a magic touch. It’s good we got Brown because Hyman has a tough job and is expected to have that motor of his at full throttle all the time. Hopefully Brown takes some of that pressure and workload off and maybe they alternate lines depending on who’s feeling it throughout the season.

Also these young guys might take some pressure off.

I hope he’s not battling injuries and just needs a little less of a crazy workload

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Bouchard needed Ekholm to find his game. Why can't it be the same with Broberg?

We'll see what Woodcroft and Holland do but something tells me a lot of the people on here won't like it

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
On Broberg I think his biggest problem is general lack of intensity and that is hard to fix. He's often in the right place to do the right thing, but isn't assertive enough to make it happen or gets beat on a puck he should have had.

For example, he has a tendency to make soft little touch passes all around the ice that aren't necessary. He'd be fine if he just passed it like normal, but he tries to make finesse plays when he doesn't have to that just result in turnovers and other problems.

He's like the anti-Darnell Nurse. Often in the right place, but doesn't have the intensity to make anything happen, where Nurse has the intensity, but isn't in the right place.
Good post. I'd use passivity versus intensity and personally perceive it as apprehension to make a mistake. This is a confidence issue but I see how some believe it relates to lower hockey sense. He is also a pure Euro type defender who defends with positioning and stick, more cerebral versus the 'old' Darnell Nurse who engages physically and aggressively (often impulsively). Broberg's still not physically mature and, while I don't see him shy from battle areas on the ice, he can struggle with cycle and net front battles with aggressive, physically strong NHL competition and style of play.

His last three games have averaged 20:25 TOI, 2:60 PK, 15:51 EV. 2 points on a good feed to Bourgault and nice play jumping into create a two-on-one goal by Lavoie. The Power Play ice time is empty calorie stuff which won't be available with Bouchard and Nurse. This is purely an audition for third pair EV ice with maybe some support PK work.

We all want more with the draft pedigree. But realistically this mature phase organization needs a young, developing player to slot in at third pair and stabilize his game and confidence with EV ice-time paired with a veteran. Establish the defending base, soak in development support of veterans like Kulak, Ekholm, Nurse and over time, with confidence, other attributes of his game will manifest.

The question will be if the window phase Oilers have enough runway. Broberg is going to make this team and either grow over seasons into a future top four d-man role or be moved out at deadline to upgrade top four right defense now which isn't good enough as the backbone to being a legitimate Cup contender.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Haven’t watched the pre season other than highlights. Other than the obvious “yay Connor Brown goals” how has he looked out there? Good addition?
Similar to hyman with his work ethic, he’s worse offensively than hyman, but better defensively

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Gleason over broberg actually adds to cap at deadline as well

Reactions: AM and Bryanbryoil

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Holloway and Lavoie have the potential to transform the team offense from a top 6 to a top 9. I would like to see them get time with Nuge centering them.

Kane-McDavid-Brown
Foegele-Draisaitl-Hyman
Holloway-Nuge-Lavoie
Erne-Janmark-Ryan
Kane-McDavid-Brown
Nuge-Draisaitl-Hyman
Lavoie - Holloway - McLeod
Foegele - Ryan - Janmark

These are the lines.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Kane-McDavid-Brown
Foegele-Draisaitl-Hyman
Holloway-Nuge-Lavoie
Erne-Janmark-Ryan
I think there's too many guys playing well for Erne to get a spot. I wouldn't be against him getting a contract and starting in the AHL though.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad