The Marinaro Thread II - Une défaite... sans italien

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Gotta give it to Tony, he's rattling off stats like Big Blue. He's got a lot of stock to bolster his arguments, came in prepared. Made extremely convincing arguments showing how Galchenyuk paid the price for the favoritism that DD got from Therrien.

Lemay is in left field, personalizing arguments from DD's standpoint, repeatedly blurting out how "DD never asked to play on the first line". Big deal, that's not the point -- it's not about who asked for what or who was the most humble, it's what happened and DD got the lion's share of every situation -- taking up minutes that should have gone to the more talented player in Galchenyuk.

Thanks for the play by play Runner. Missed the show last night. Much appreciated. Glad that Tony was able to be himself and not just another muppet on the show.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Its actually pretty amazing to see all these guys going after the coach. Richer held his punches but still was very direct.

I'm hoping it's going to get worse as we approach D-Day.
It needs to get worse as we close the travesty of this season out.
The day when the playoffs are officially done.
Is there more anger out there that can be brought to bear against this regime?
Against Molson and the cost of little or no entertainment against the nepotism and favoritism that has plagued us ever since Bergevin and Therrien came on board.
There are a number of things that need to happen immediately after the final bell.
The Head Coach's head has to roll It should be made very clear that anything less is unacceptable. Bergevin should be put on a tight leash and someone hired to sit on his right shoulder.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Does anyone else think it's really bad that a journalist who finally speaks the truth and uses facts is so highly praised ?

It's not even the French media. Eric Engels just repeats the same ********. Brian Wilde is probably schizophrenic.

John Lu seems to be the only one who reports the truth and doesn't jump at anything to talk about ********.
It seems most of the media just tip toe around their questions when it concerns MB and MT, is it because of the priveliges given to them in order to cover the team? Probably, but there should be a few that grow a set, and ask some tougher questions...no doubt in my mind...Glad to see Tony continue his mandate!! A 3 month losing skid, where the coaching staff is not fired, smells really bad...a lost season and no playoff revenue....

Geoff, your move...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Childhood friend of Bergevin. Nothing else to add.

Tony stated yesterday during the 690 scrum that the decision to hire JJD came from Bergevin, not Therrien, even if the latter also had a close connection. The friends hiring friends trend rears its ugly head yet again.

Thanks for the play by play Runner. Missed the show last night. Much appreciated. Glad that Tony was able to be himself and not just another muppet on the show.

Welcome Bryson. I'm surprised AC even agreed to entertain the concept of inviting radio hosts, although Lemay is a semi-regular on AC. As for Langevin, I believe he had been on AC at one point, then jumped ship to Spanre but since being canned by Spanre, went on to his 91.9 FM gig. It was really refreshing to see the points of view that were exchanged yesterday -- not your typical AC fare.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
When Tony said "Who in this city aside from Therrien thinks Desharnais is a better hockey player than Galchenyuk?" and then Lemay said "il pense pas ca non plus", then why the f*** has he given him the better minutes ALL SEASON LONG?!

Marinaro made them look like idiots.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
When Tony said "Who in this city aside from Therrien thinks Desharnais is a better hockey player than Galchenyuk?" and then Lemay said "il pense pas ca non plus", then why the f*** has he given him the better minutes ALL SEASON LONG?!

Marinaro made them look like idiots.

Il Pense pas ca NON PLUS

are you ****ing kidding me? So unless I'm missing something in translation exactly when did he change his mind? lmao

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Il Pense pas ca NON PLUS

are you ****ing kidding me? So unless I'm missing something in translation exactly when did he change his mind? lmao

There was no tense in the statement. Rough translation of what Lemay said would be 'Therrien doesn't think DD is the better player either'

But I get your point, if he doesn't think DD is the better player, why have him so much higher in the center depth chart? So basically Lemay was indirectly admitting that DD gets preferential treatment.

Marinaro was really refreshing on that show. Should be there more often. He would make fools of guys like Gaston Therrien.

And for those of you who want to see it, the clips are online:

http://www.rds.ca/tele/antichambre

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Even the guys at RDS realize that some criticism is in order (about time). They hired some hitmen for that because they're too chicken**** to do the job themselves.

There is a real disconnect between the french media and the french fans. The media appears to turn their tongues 20 times and then offer the slightest of Therrien criticism. They just can't seem to criticize their own.

The majority of french speakings fans have no such problem. You listen to call-in shows, read comments and they all are tired of Therrien.

This season has caused a rift between management and the fans- like one partner cheating and affecting trust in a relationship. You might want to salvage the relationship but some serious work needs to be accomplished to regain the trust. If not, every decision, every action is questioned. MB needs to change the environment - gain back the trust, or he will get swept up in the purge that is sure to come.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
There is a real disconnect between the french media and the french fans. The media appears to turn their tongues 20 times and then offer the slightest of Therrien criticism. They just can't seem to criticize their own.

The majority of french speakings fans have no such problem. You listen to call-in shows, read comments and they all are tired of Therrien.

This season has caused a rift between management and the fans- like one partner cheating and affecting trust in a relationship. You might want to salvage the relationship but some serious work needs to be accomplished to regain the trust. If not, every decision, every action is questioned. MB needs to change the environment - gain back the trust, or he will get swept up in the purge that is sure to come.

Not really. Polls have shown people actually support him :laugh:. Majority of french fans worship these "experts" and their opinions get influenced by them.

The real disconnect isn't between french media and french fans but between franco media/fans and anglo media/fans.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Casual fans that'll catch a game once in a while and get most of their information through RDS won't be calling for MT's or DD's head anytime soon.

I have many people in my entourage that genuinely think Therrien is one of the best coach in the league and Desharnais the best playmaker/best option to center the 1st line at this point in time. And there's no real argument to be had with those people. They don't care about stats, nor facts. If Therrien and his pals from the general medias say so, then it must be true. That's pretty much the extent of their reasoning, in most cases.

I'm not blaming them. Everyone is a fan, to different degrees. People that post regularly on HFboards really aren't the norm.

Last edited:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
And how was it handled? JJD was pretty respected at the time for his work with the NYR AHL team. Maybe Therrien didn't want Robinson or prefered/really liked Daigneault? GMs usually give the head coach carte Blanche as far as his staff goes.

Daigneault and Bergevin go way back.

JJD, Bergevin, and Mario Lemieux grew up playing pee-wee in Ville-Émard.

CrewkHead

Oct 25, 2006
Not really. Polls have shown people actually support him :laugh:. Majority of french fans worship these "experts" and their opinions get influenced by them.

The real disconnect isn't between french media and french fans but between franco media/fans and anglo media/fans.

???? Really questionning your statement since pretty much every fans in french radio show bashes the work of bergevin and therrien. If you refer to a RDS poll than I say it s just a poor exemple.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Pretty sure that poll was biased by concentrating in regions with an almost entire French population like Verdun, Hochelaga, PAT, and far away regions like Lac St-Jean, Beauce.

They probably had a minority of calls for the rest of the island, laval, south shore and north shore as all those places have many English and bilingual populace.

I have many many French friends and family, and the great majority have been fed-up with Therrien for awhile now. I live in the south shore, and word on the street is not what that poll makes out.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
I just watched the AC highlights with Tony. He brings up some new ideas to AC but it wasn't a scorched earth clear win like some of you are saying.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I just watched the AC highlights with Tony. He brings up some new ideas to AC but it wasn't a scorched earth clear win like some of you are saying.

Only because the likes of Gaston Therrien, Michel Bergeron, Francois Gagnon and Jacques Demers weren't there. The other radio guys are still a good notch above that.

And the point is not that Marinaro 'won' any argument there. I agree with you that he didn't own the show. The point is that we saw a healthy debate on the root of the current issues with the Habs. That's a first in a long time for a show like AC.

Last edited:

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
Only because the likes of Gaston Therrien, Michel Villeneuve, Francois Gagnon and Jacques Demers weren't there. The other radio guys are still a good notch above that.

And the point is not that Marinaro 'won' any argument there. I agree with you that he didn't own the show. The point is that we saw a healthy debate on the root of the current issues with the Habs. That's a first in a long time for a show like AC.

Ya it would have been much more awesome had Gaston been there when Tony brought up DD.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Casual fans that'll catch a game once in a while and get most of their information through RDS won't be calling for MT's or DD's head anytime soon.

I have many people in my entourage that genuinely think Therrien is one of the best coach in the league and Desharnais the best playmaker/best option to center the 1st line at this point in time. And there's no real argument to be had with those people. They don't care about stats, nor facts. If Therrien and his pals from the general medias say so, than it must be true. That's pretty much the extent of their reasoning, in most cases.

I'm not blaming them. Everyone is a fan, to different degrees. People that post regularly on HFboards really aren't the norm.
It's not exclusive to Quebec. I remember Cherry going on and on about Tie Domi and people buying into the idea that he was a good hockey player...

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
yea after watching the clips Tony was good but not overwhelming

it seems like these guys are sooooo scared of Therrien they need to bring on 3rd parties to start slagging him - they know when he gets fired eventually he will be back and be the bigshot on RDS again lol

think the day before they did a segment on Therrien that was suprising to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad