The Marinaro Thread II - Une défaite... sans italien

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gotta give it to Tony, he's rattling off stats like Big Blue. He's got a lot of stock to bolster his arguments, came in prepared. Made extremely convincing arguments showing how Galchenyuk paid the price for the favoritism that DD got from Therrien.

Lemay is in left field, personalizing arguments from DD's standpoint, repeatedly blurting out how "DD never asked to play on the first line". Big deal, that's not the point -- it's not about who asked for what or who was the most humble, it's what happened and DD got the lion's share of every situation -- taking up minutes that should have gone to the more talented player in Galchenyuk.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They went on to look at how well the Habs have done since 2008 at the draft. They tabulated compiled the stats of those drafted players that played at least one game in the NHL. The top teams based on points obtained by said players:

CdUNan-WEAAFWte.jpg

Then they looked at the end of the list, where the Habs are residing and it looks like this:

CdUNbHDWIAABzGS.jpg

Twelve players with 889 games played. Look at that offensive output.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They went on to look at how well the Habs have done since 2008 at the draft. They tabulated compiled the stats of those drafted players that played at least one game in the NHL. The top teams based on points obtained by said players:

CdUNan-WEAAFWte.jpg

Then they looked at the end of the list, where the Habs are residing and it looks like this:

CdUNbHDWIAABzGS.jpg

Twelve players with 889 games played. Look at that offensive output.

Draft position is a huge contributing factor there.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Gotta love the Tony haters on twitter.

They only have fat jokes because TONY has all the FACTS.

#FireTherrien

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lemay arguing the Habs' pipeline is dry. Duh.

Then they showed a Habs' flop list:

CdUOYUwXIAAd2FE.jpg

Tony not commenting on the list directly (except in reference to Leblanc) to make arguments about how there is a francophone imperative that has handcuffed Habs' GMs in making questionable decisions. Lemay putting his hand in front of his face, hiding laughter, appearing to be mocking Tony. The panel is clearly uncomfortable at the idea of arguing language.

Tony is undaunted, gets his point across, calling Michel Langevin to task. Langevin defends himself by claiming that on his radio show, he's not the one putting language front and centre, it's Reggie Tremblay whom Langevin claims he is constantly opposing. I don't know, I've listened to Langevin, he's a real "mémère", doesn't look to me that he is that staunch an opponent. Lemay was mostly quiet during the segment, but smiling and even laughing quite a bit. Not very professional.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Langevin is awful, never liked the guy. Anyway glad Tony showed a different side to the medal (the ugly and truthful one) to an audience that badly needs it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony arguing that if DSP is an NHL player, then so is Ghetto. Agrees that Ghetto has not been consistent, however, he suggests that neither is the coaching staff patient with him, shuffling him about from the first to the fourth line.

Tony attacking the longstanding myth where the Habs claim a player needs to play well without the puck. How about favoring players who play well with the puck? If we're always going to punish players who commit defensive errors, you're going to end up with a team that doesn't score. He cites as examples last year's playoffs, where the Habs had the lowest goal output of any team in the post-season. And this year as well, where offensive output has been lacklustre.

Tony believes Ghetto could score 18 goals if he were on the top two lines. I'm not sure Ghetto can be that productive or if he's even a top 6.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ah the Larry Robinson story ... Tony is categorical, Larry always wanted to join the Habs' coaching staff. Recounts how he contacted Bergevin but how he couldn't show up for a meeting on account of a flood at home. Bergevin made the decision to hire JJD while never providing an opportunity for Robinson to interview. Tony says he spoke to Robinson repeatedly, there is no doubt about how this was handled.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Ah the Larry Robinson story ... Tony is categorical, Larry always wanted to join the Habs' coaching staff. Recounts how he contacted Bergevin but how he couldn't show up for a meeting on account of a flood at home. Bergevin made the decision to hire JJD while never providing an opportunity for Robinson to interview. Tony says he spoke to Robinson repeatedly, there is no doubt about how this was handled.

And how was it handled? JJD was pretty respected at the time for his work with the NYR AHL team. Maybe Therrien didn't want Robinson or prefered/really liked Daigneault? GMs usually give the head coach carte Blanche as far as his staff goes.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Langevin is awful, never liked the guy. Anyway glad Tony showed a different side to the medal (the ugly and truthful one) to an audience that badly needs it.

Yup it shows what an uphill battle it is to win the hearts and minds of a large sector of this fanbase.
It astounds me how much of a disconnect there really is on ALL the issues.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Even the guys at RDS realize that some criticism is in order (about time). They hired some hitmen for that because they're too chicken**** to do the job themselves.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Even the guys at RDS realize that some criticism is in order (about time). They hired some hitmen for that because they're too chicken**** to do the job themselves.

Cowards all of them. Galchenyuk is Cinderella for us and the hockey gods are with him. I loved his reaction on the bench when he winked, a pure middle finger to the organization. He aint going to be cheap.:laugh::laugh:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And like Marinaro or not, but you can't deny one thing: the guy got his **** straight and he brings up the facts to substantiate his statements. Even if I disagree with him on something, at least I can understand his reasoning.

It's not like Gaston f-ing Therrien who says Galchenyuk didn't play much PP at the juniors because he was behind Grigorenko on the depth chart of team Russia. :propeller

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Surprised this thread wasn't bumped from today's segment with Stephane Richer and Marinaro talking about Galchenyuk.. So for those who didn't hear it here's today's podcast of what Richer said to Marinaro about Galchenyuk..

Richer: Therrien mishandling Galchenyuk
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/richer-therrien-mishandling-galchenyuk-1.451241

The old stars came out this week to bash on the coach and on the organisation for their treatment of the kid: Richer, Lafleur, Savard... And you know who listens to them like they're gold? The owner. I'd ve shocked if Therrien is back.

incognito Burrito*

Does anyone else think it's really bad that a journalist who finally speaks the truth and uses facts is so highly praised ?

It's not even the French media. Eric Engels just repeats the same ********. Brian Wilde is probably schizophrenic.

John Lu seems to be the only one who reports the truth and doesn't jump at anything to talk about ********.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The old stars came out this week to bash on the coach and on the organisation for their treatment of the kid: Richer, Lafleur, Savard... And you know who listens to them like they're gold? The owner. I'd ve shocked if Therrien is back.
Its actually pretty amazing to see all these guys going after the coach. Richer held his punches but still was very direct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad