The Long Fix Rebuild

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So with the Islanders moving Grabo's contract freeing 5 million.

Any chance Nyquist for CDH happens this week?

Just wondering, we have heard the Wings have interest.

Well, there was that recent rumor that Hamonic is as good as gone and he has more value than CdH. If they're ready to part with Hamonic, then they'll shoot for something they deem to be much higher value than Nyquist. But who knows. An as-of-yet non-franchise altering defenseman like CdH for a non-homegrown somewhat underperforming guy like Nyquist isn't out of the realm of Holland's tendencies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
This isn't as meaningful as you're making it out to be. The Wings haven't been relevant (meaning, treading towards a cup) in almost 10 years. Holland should have been 'rebuilding' since Lidstrom retired. So yeah, I think 5 years has been plenty patient, but now all of a sudden Holland's do nothing attitude lands the team out of the playoffs and we're supposed to be more patient when he's shown no ability or desire to actually rebuild? You give him your 10 year patience window, mine has closed. Bring in the next GM who will rebuild properly and I'll defend them for the next 3-5 years while we don't win but do things the right way.

You obviously believe Holland is doing things the right way and we'll be back to being a contender with him at the helm. I've yet to see any reason why that's the case, but we'll see how great his summer is.

Don't you see? You're supposed to ignore the last 6-7 years of Holland's directionless whiffs, missteps, and rotten contract management because... reasons?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
And Holland doesn't even get 1 year outside the playoffs to rebuild the team. His first ever top 10 pick. We should at least wait and see how this summer plays out. See what kind of team we're icing next year. The lack of patience is obvious, people can't handle one year outside the playoffs unless it comes with a top 3 pick and tons of "rebuilding" moves.

He has words you know. The things he's been saying do not paint a good picture.

Moreover most of us weren't content with just playoffs. We wanted contendership. If not contendership then rebuilding. We've been waiting for 5+ years now to see that and it's not happened. I still don't understand people who point to playoffs as some great accomplishment. Woo. We made the playoffs again. Woo. We're out in the first round again. Woo. That was totally worth it. Successful season guys. We did something more than 50% of the teams in the league get to do. Kudos all around. That's one for the win column for sure.

He should have started the rebuild years ago.

We've waited long enough and he's still twiddling his thumbs. Yeah. We're running out of patience.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Don't you see? You're supposed to ignore the last 6-7 years of Holland's directionless whiffs, missteps, and rotten contract management because... reasons?

Wait i thought he was rebuilding on the fly the past six years?

That's what i have been hearing.

So the rebuild on the fly starts after they fail to make the playoffs?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

We can disagree with Holland's goal each season, to make the playoffs come hell or high water, but it's wrong to say his moves were directionless or wrong for meeting that goal. I think he's very likely shoved us into a longer, uglier downswing as an organization with how single mindedly he pursued that goal, but he certainly bled every ounce of blood out of that corpse that he was going to get.

Now we'll see the path he takes to getting back into the playoffs.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
We can disagree with Holland's goal each season, to make the playoffs come hell or high water, but it's wrong to say his moves were directionless or wrong for meeting that goal. I think he's very likely shoved us into a longer, uglier downswing as an organization with how single mindedly he pursued that goal, but he certainly bled every ounce of blood out of that corpse that he was going to get.

If a direction/goal that's not approved by the HFboards falls in the woods does it make a sound? If your answer was "I hate Holland," then you were correct! An alternate, but acceptable, answer would have been "I am Groot". They're both comprised of three words that can be used to describe any object, event and emotion. Use them interchangeably, but do not combine them. "I hate Groot" or "I am Holland" is a big no no.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Hopefully it's just counting on a few lucky breaks with the same roster, rather than messing with additional resources to throw more feces at the same wall of insanity.

Keep the existing mess as is, watch it fail again, and please don't have the stomach for another contract extension as GM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad