Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Coordinated effort by the Brindamour camp today to get Carolina to budge on whatever is the sticking point lol

If he is waiting to sign to make sure his staff gets paid too Rod is the Boss. Love it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Money without a doubt.

Carolina will need to pay up to keep B'A now, he's earned his stripes, and he's earned a big contract somewhere.

Sucks for Carolina, as they are likely in the same type of scenario the Sens used to be in where they aren't wanting to pay an absorbanent amount of money for a coach.

If they aren't willing to pony up, which they will be I'm sure, someone else will be. His agents know that, he's not going without a big contract next season, be it in Carolina or essentially wherever he wants to go. There are probably 10 teams that would make it happen to get him in the fold.

He's making 2 million right now, he's likely drawing the line at 4-5 like the other top guys in the league

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Money without a doubt.

Carolina will need to pay up to keep B'A now, he's earned his stripes, and he's earned a big contract somewhere.

Sucks for Carolina, as they are likely in the same type of scenario the Sens used to be in where they aren't wanting to pay an absorbanent amount of money for a coach.

If they aren't willing to pony up, which they will be I'm sure, someone else will be. His agents know that, he's not going without a big contract next season, be it in Carolina or essentially wherever he wants toAlso quite likely that he prices himself out of Ottawa. go. There are probably 10 teams that would make it happen to get him in the fold.

He's making 2 million right now, he's likely drawing the line at 4-5 like the other top guys in the league
Also quite likely that he prices himself out of Ottawa.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Head Coach - Todd McLellan
Ass. Coach - Dave Hakstol - Offence
Ass. Coach - Brad Shaw - Defence
Ass Coach - Daniel Alfredsson - Special Teams
Ass Coach - Craig Anderson - Goalie Coach

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Also quite likely that he prices himself out of Ottawa.
I’d think so, can’t imagine we’d be paying him the amount he’s looking for.

Have no clue what new ownership is willing to pay, but not sure a 20+ million dollar deal for a coach is one of them.

Reactions: aragorn

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I just don't see him going from Carolina to Ottawa unless they significantly overpay for his services, which they are not going to do.

Maybe if he gets a cup this season, he might decide he would like to have the challenge of turning the Sens into a cup contender.

But if Carolina misses out again, i think he goes to another team if he decides to test the market. I think he stays with Carolina though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senator Stanley

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
For those saying we need an NHL coach who's a proven winner you need to be careful. Only four coaches have won the Cup with multiple teams, IIRC. It's not a formula for certain success. The last to do so was Scotty Bowman. And before that it was Dick Irvin Sr. in 1944.

Coaches who have won Cups and been hired by another franchise and go on to win another CUp are in the vast, VAST minority. I think it goes to show that for the most part it's about a coach (obviously good coaches only) being an ideal fit with a group of players.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Rod the Bod screams “best in class”.

If we want someone to turn around the culture of this organization, Rod is your man.

Don’t know wtf Carolina is thinking here, he’s essentially the Hurricanes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We haven't been able to build trust in our GM. He hasn't done anything. Trust is earned through repeatedly proving yourself right.
If that's how you feel, then regardless of what decision he makes, you need to wait and see how it turns out before passing judgement, coaching hire include. It's irrational to assume he's wrong without evidence afterall.
This entire post is basically the appeal to authority fallacy. Also, it should be noted that you're arguing possibility while I'm arguing probability. Is it possible to get a great HC with no prior experience at the NHL level? Obviously, duh. Is it probable? Not a great success rate, in that regard. In fact, the odds are pretty slim.
It's not an appeal to authority because I'm not saying it's the right choice or even a good just based on him making it, just acknowledging that he is making the choice based on information and experience both you and I lack. As such, if he makes a choice to hire a lesser known commodity, I will will refrain from judgement, positive or negative, until enough evidence is available to outsiders like myself to have an opinion one way or another.

You remove possibility from the equation if you go out and hire a veteran head coach with an excellent resume and an established track record of success. Meaning, you don't have to wonder if they can do the job. Now we settle on probability again. Sure, nothing is guaranteed. Good/great coaches get fired all the time because they lose the room or whatever else might happen.

Let me ask you this hypothetical: you have the opportunity to hire Rod Brind'Amour or John Gruden. Who do you pick and why?
That's just it, my pick is based on an incomplete set of facts and a lack of experience in evaluating their abilities, and recognizing that, since I'm a rationale person, I'd select the person who for which I have track record to act as a proxy for evaluating his abilities. What I won't do as a rationale person is assume the other choice is a poor one or pass judgement on that choice simply because I lack all the facts or experience to evaluate him. I'm fully capable of understanding the later choice would come with a TBD evaluation of whether it was a good choice or not, pretty straightforward really.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
Head Coach - Todd McLellan
Ass. Coach - Dave Hakstol - Offence
Ass. Coach - Brad Shaw - Defence
Ass Coach - Daniel Alfredsson - Special Teams
Ass Coach - Craig Anderson - Goalie Coach
We've had enough ass coaches over the years, give us a real coach Staios!!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I’d think so, can’t imagine we’d be paying him the amount he’s looking for.

Have no clue what new ownership is willing to pay, but not sure a 20+ million dollar deal for a coach is one of them.

You want another $2 million? Bump ticket prices by $2. Voila.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
All coaches are awful when they coach bad teams.
LOL, ok

McLellan's history speaks for itself. Every stop the same complaints..

This is a reddit thread from 6 years ago when he was hired in Edmonton. It was an Oilers fan asking SJ fans what to expect

These are all the same complaints Kings and Oilers fans had
Horrible motivator and always seemed to be at arms length from the players, as opposed to a players coach.

Also was out-coached consistently in games that challenged his system, or that required shuffling lines

His game never adapted and it hurt us greatly in the long term. Sharks started tuning him out after a while because nothing changed."
He had very predictable prescription for how to play. I think that prevents some of the offense... And also made it easier for opponents to figure it out and come up with defensive counters making the team less effective and .... then he would put the lines into a blender if they didn't work.

A range of responses but the PP/PK frustration, inability to adapt and constant line-changing sticks out for me.

Yea, I'd say this is all pretty damn accurate. Teams have his system figured out, and Todds so f***ing stubborn and resistant to change that he refuses to do anything. His system is tired and played out and unless he changes it, or gets fired, we're going absolutely no where. He gets out coached on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If that's how you feel, then regardless of what decision he makes, you need to wait and see how it turns out before passing judgement, coaching hire include. It's irrational to assume he's wrong without evidence afterall.

Oh, for sure. I don't dislike him at all. I don't know what to think because he hasn't really done anything.

I'm not confident in him, but I'm also not "unconfident". I'm waiting to see what happens.

Has he mentioned what type of style of coach/team he wants?

I know the whole "more vets" and "200 foot players" but that's not what I mean.

Are we going for a higher octane offense? A patience defensive "Jacques Lemaire" type? A super big and physical team?

That might clue us in to which coach is the favourite based on which coach coaches that way best. And then I would assume staios starts making roster moves that would get those types of players.. hopefully it can be done within a year or so and not take multiple prime years away.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Green's resume as pointed out by you literally means nothing to me (neither does Scottie Upshall or Shane O'Brien's endorsement), DJ Smith has a good resume as well and was defended by more notable players than Upshall and O'Brien, and we saw how that went. Players rarely talk shit about coaches.

Have you read what Devils fans think of Travis Green? That fan base is ready to jump off a cliff if he's retained in the HC job. Do fans know all the inner workings and have an accurate portrayal of how things actually are? Probably not, but fans still have a very good read on how the coach is during the game when in-game decisions are made. I know looking back at coaches from a Sens fan perspective, the fan base is usually right when a coach is a good fit or not after they get to see the coach in action. I mean, we've all known DJ wasn't an ideal head coach for years, but management/players felt different. From reading Canucks and Devils thoughts on the subject, I can see a very clear consensus. That's good enough for me.
DJ's resume is nothing like this. So I dunno what to tell you, people go back to it and its strange so I am not going to entertain a discussion about it.

I just don't see him going from Carolina to Ottawa unless they significantly overpay for his services, which they are not going to do.

Maybe if he gets a cup this season, he might decide he would like to have the challenge of turning the Sens into a cup contender.

But if Carolina misses out again, i think he goes to another team if he decides to test the market. I think he stays with Carolina though.
Yeah there is no chance Brindamour is coming here.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
we probably wouldn't pay Rod 20 mill, but bodes well that Andlauer bought the most expensive home in Ottawa.

nice to have an actual rich and cash generating owner.

instead of a dude that sells horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad