News Article: The Leafs have depth to address their weaknesses

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
LD is potentially a key area. There's depth to draw from or move out if Borgman is ready to come back up to the NHL and Dermott is ready for a bigger role. In addition to RD, I think another outside addition will come up front.

Hopefully one of Nylander or Aaltonen can take a vacant centre spot (Moore and/or Bozak). Don't know if any of our current NHLers up front can be trade bait. Potentially quite a few moving pieces there via UFA status.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you draft & develop a Zach Werenski a big RHD QB for your PP, then you are not forced to scramble to address holes by self inflicted wounds.

Just try and acquire one of these level players through trade.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't care for questions. I want answers.

Why not suggest one of the two options and stand behind it? What's your opinion?

1. Trade Gardiner
2. Trade Rielly

Which one?

For me it's absolutely #1. Use some of that depth and package him for a another need - a C or a d-man.
Easier said than done however.......

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I'll say this.

I think we need to get Erik Karlsson from Ottawa.

We have a history of trades together, Toronto would be willing to pay a premium as its in the same province, and it would suit EK as he could stay in the same relative culture/area/etc.

Toronto needs to get a #1 RD. They can afford him both in salary cap and in prospects/picks to acquire him. He suits our age, our play style, our positional needs, and is a dead on fit.

Like Mess just said, how often do these players become available? They don't. When they do, pay through the nose.

I would not be surprised at all depending on how the playoffs go, to see us acquire him at the draft.

1st+Gardiner+Brown+conditional picks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'll say this.

We have a history of trades together, Toronto would be willing to pay a premium as its in the same province, and it would suit EK as he could stay in the same relative culture/area/etc.

Toronto needs to get a #1 RD. They can afford him both in salary cap and in prospects/picks to acquire him. He suits our age, our play style, our positional needs, and is a dead on fit.

Like Mess just said, how often do these players become available? They don't. When they do, pay through the nose.

I would not be surprised at all depending on how the playoffs go, to see us acquire him at the draft.

I agree Leafs playoff performance and success will depend on how big a sacrifice Leafs are willing to make at the entry draft to address a well known need.

Your offer is in the OEL territory.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We've made (making) the playoffs in the 2 seasons post last place/tank season. We're way ahead of schedule.

That's very inspiring to be honest.
He wasn't referring to the leafs and their rare playoff appearance. He was referring to our right handed defence depth.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It goes to show you that how important of a player Marner has become who is outplaying the other d men in his area. The leafs problems came from their own mistakes during the "in nonis we trust" movement. That management's group inability to find any talent on any position burt the leafs and the defence just added to the problem.
Mark Hunter has begun to rectify the issues of past by getting Marner(outplaying the other d men available in that spot), Dermott and Lilly, but there is still work to do as he tries to make up mistakes that were done by the previous management group.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'll say this.

I agree with most of this. Just wanted to offer up a few thoughts:

1) I don't think Ottawa trades to us. Making spare-parts trades, and moving your cornerstone franchise Dman are 2 very different things. I also think it destroys that fanbase, and I think they are awawre of that.

2) Any deal for Karlsson starts with a 1st + Dermott / Liljegren. It has to. If the type of package you are offering in your post was enough, then they would have made the trade with Tampa at the deadline. They are looking for a bigger haul.

3) is there no concern for Karlsson's injuries? He's not looked good this season, but is that because of the team, his health, or both? I'd be worried about his injury history.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I like that you didn't state your own opinion.

You want my opinion ? Ok.

My opinion is that you don't trade Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner. It's too late for that.

Trade Gardiner? Absolutely! Jetison him into outer space? Even better!

I never cared for him and his soft defensive play and I never will.

What about you?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'll say this.

He's a pending UFA after next season, and we can't afford his cap hit beyond that.

I'd rather keep our assets and re-sign Gardiner for much less.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you draft & develop a Zach Werenski a big RHD QB for your PP, then you are not forced to scramble to address holes by self inflicted wounds.

Just try and acquire one of these level players through trade.

Wish we had Charlie McAvoy, in a re-draft I'd be tempted to take him second over Laine.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

My opinion is that you don't trade Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner. It's too late for that.

What about you?

I think you're wrong about Gardiner. He makes good plays far more often then bad but the fan base fixates on the bad for reasons.

I don't suspect that Gardiner will be able to be re-signed for a deal like Rielly's deal so I lean towards a top 4 LD of Rielly and Dermott. Long term Borgman seems like a decent bet to hold down that 3rd pairing spot but would love if Gordeev was able to get there some day, maybe Middleton surprises us.

I hope Liljegren is able to hold down one of the top 4 RHD slots, I hope Zaitsev shapes up as well but not as much to get excited for there. Rasanen might pan out, but conservatively i'll just assume in a 3rd pairing role.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Honestly I would wait until he becomes a UFA rather than give up anything for him.

I would even say the same thing about Drew Doughty, although if I had to guess he is more likely to sign an extension with the Kings on July 1, 2018.

I'd give up a lot for Doughty if an extension is able to be negotiated. It's literally the biggest piece we need and he's the best at the position in the league.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Karlsson would be insane to think about. He has lost a step, but I think it's something that can be slightly regained over the offseason. If we could manage to get him, our D is set for years. Don't even need to remember the bottom pairing when you can run;

Dermott - Karlsson
Rielly - Hainsey

For over half the game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Karlsson would be insane to think about. He has lost a step, but I think it's something that can be slightly regained over the offseason. If we could manage to get him, our D is set for years. Don't even need to remember the bottom pairing when you can run;

Dermott - Karlsson
Rielly - Hainsey

For over half the game.

Wonder if he's just mentally checked out of Ottawa? Plus he has had the achilles injury coupled with getting half his ankle bone removed.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016

What about you?

That was a great trade for the Leafs. Lupul had some good years before the injuries piled up and Gardiner has been arguably our best D the last few seasons. No idea why you’d prefer to have a 37 year old Beauchemim.

I get that some people don’t like Gardiner’s game but this team is worse without him. It’s so frustrating reading these posts about how he is the softest and worst D in the league 10 times a day. He’s not even the worst D on his pairing, let alone the team. Give it up.

Edit: Having said that, if the Leafs think Dermott is ready for a top 4 role next year I’d have no issues with them trading Gardiner for top 4 RHD or pieces to acquire one.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That was a great trade for the Leafs. Lupul had some good years before the injuries piled up and Gardiner has been arguably our best D the last few seasons. No idea why you’d prefer to have a 37 year old Beauchemim.

I get that some people don’t like Gardiner’s game but this team is worse without him. It’s so frustrating reading these posts about how he is the softest and worst D in the league 10 times a day. He’s not even the worst D on his pairing, let alone the team. Give it up

Reality is he handles the puck a LOT, and so when you attempt to make plays, sometimes it blows up in your face. He gets beat but so do the best defenseman in the NHL. Doughty gets beat a couple times a game but if you're a good 5 man unit and get good goaltending that doesn't matter.

Our forwards have been awful defensively a lot of the season.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Reality is he handles the puck a LOT, and so when you attempt to make plays, sometimes it blows up in your face. He gets beat but so do the best defenseman in the NHL. Doughty gets beat a couple times a game but if you're a good 5 man unit and get good goaltending that doesn't matter.

Our forwards have been awful defensively a lot of the season.

His playing style is also abit unusual for a D, which I think plays into it. I can’t really blame the forwards for his mistakes, he’s a gambler with the puck and sometimes it doesn’t go the Leaf’s way. More often that not it does but people don’t remember all the stretch passes which lead to goals, they remember the occasional pizza he coughs up in the slot.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His playing style is also abit unusual for a D, which I think plays into it. I can’t really blame the forwards for his mistakes, he’s a gambler with the puck and sometimes it doesn’t go the Leaf’s way. More often that not it does but people don’t remember all the stretch passes which lead to goals, they remember the occasional pizza he coughs up in the slot.

Yep, he has stretches though where those pizzas don't exist. That stretch of games where Rielly went down with injury Gardiner was unreal.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Yep, he has stretches though where those pizzas don't exist. That stretch of games where Rielly went down with injury Gardiner was unreal.

Exactly. He’ll do a 100 good things during those stretches but there will still be posters complaining about a turnover from 2 weeks earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad