News Article: The Leafs have depth to address their weaknesses

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs2.jpg

The Leafs have depth to address their weaknesses
The Leafs are having a successful season and look well on their way to making the play-offs for the 2nd straight year. This is great news and it signifies that the rebuild is going well, even with one the franchises busiest off-seasons looming on the horizon.

Something to think about for this upcoming off-season.

Cheers.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Another good article. If you are ever looking for someone to pitch in with writing, I am usually free to write. This website is my second most frequented website besides Youtube, so I'm constantly watching or reading about hockey.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Another good article. If you are ever looking for someone to pitch in with writing, I am usually free to write. This website is my second most frequented website besides Youtube, so I'm constantly watching or reading about hockey.

It is picking up and with my crazy schedule, I have considered taking on an additional writer or 2. Feel free to PM me about what you'd be interested in writing about.

Reactions: Its not your fault

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Agreed with all the main points in this article - we definitely have extra assets at LD and RW. Although if we trade for an RD, then we’ve got a bit of a log jam there, ultimately I think we can trade an RD or an LD.

On D, I see Rielly and Dermott as our main long term pieces, maybe Liljegren can get there too over time. I think our best, somewhat expendable trade assets on D are Gards and Zaitsev, though I’d only move one, not both.

At RD, I see Brown as expendable. Nylander and Marner are obviously going nowhere, and I personally prefer to Kapanen to Brown. This assumes we keep Nylander at RW, vs. moving him to C.

My dream off-season is signing Tavares, trading Zaitsev and Brown for Tanev, letting most of our UFAs walk, dumping Martin, and filling the roster with our top prospects.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Komarov

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman

Andersen
McElhinney or Pickard

Reactions: Nifty Willy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed with all the main points in this article - we definitely have extra assets at LD and RW. Although if we trade for an RD, then we’ve got a bit of a log jam there, ultimately I think we can trade an RD or an LD.

On D, I see Rielly and Dermott as our main long term pieces, maybe Liljegren can get there too over time. I think our best, somewhat expendable trade assets on D are Gards and Zaitsev, though I’d only move one, not both.

At RD, I see Brown as expendable. Nylander and Marner are obviously going nowhere, and I personally prefer to Kapanen to Brown. This assumes we keep Nylander at RW, vs. moving him to C.

My dream off-season is signing Tavares, trading Zaitsev and Brown for Tanev, letting most of our UFAs walk, dumping Martin, and filling the roster with our top prospects.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Komarov

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman

Andersen
McElhinney or Pickard

I am with you on some points, others I am not really there on.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy in on Rielly and Dermott, and trading Gardiner in the off-season or he walks at the end of that season.

on RD, Liljegren seems like he will be a good bet to make it. I think next year they will keep Hainsey and let him move on. Zaitsev is likely sticking around unless someone like Dubas comes in and decides he doesn't want to keep him around. Polak is likely missing and wouldn't be surprised at all if Carrick was gone too. So there are some openings there. Ideally a top pairing guy to bump everyone down.

I'll be interested to see where the fan base is between Brown vs Kapanen as a trade-off candidate. I would like to see Nylander get an extended look at 3C but he has undeniable chemistry with Matthews and Babcock doesn't seem to like him there.

Tanev is a very polarizing player on here. It's acknowledged that he can play top pairing but the injury issues coupled with the high cost of obtaining him makes it a rough conversation on here. I would be interested at the right price.

I don't think Aaltonen would be a good idea for 4C, I'd look for a centre that could play the PK a bit more because none of those centres can which is weird. Beagle or Brodziak would be real nice. Tavares would be an awesome signing and I think Martin is tradeable after July 1st.

member 262271

I liked the article. If the title suggests however that we have the assets to acquire a right shot D, I'd have to disagree. The price one for one is staggeringly high (as you mentioned), and the reason the Leafs haven't gone out and got one that would really have an impact is it would cost one of the big three. Failing that, several of our young players we as fans wouldn't want to part with. (And even that I think is a stretch.) Draft and develop and/or free agency is the only way to go IMO. And via the latter the team will overpay - either way it's going to take a while.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I liked the article. If the title suggests however that we have the assets to acquire a right shot D, I'd have to disagree. The price one for one is staggeringly high (as you mentioned), and the reason the Leafs haven't gone out and got one that would really have an impact is it would cost one of the big three. Failing that, several of our young players we as fans wouldn't want to part with. (And even that I think is a stretch.) Draft and develop and/or free agency is the only way to go IMO. And via the latter the team will overpay - either way it's going to take a while.

I mean if we remove JT Miller from the Ryan McDonagh trade I think we'd see it's possible.

1st+Brown+?

Or Brown+Gardiner+2nd

Those aren't insignificant assets. Now when we're talking about a top 4 RHD, we're talking more in the Tanev/Pysyk tier, not a Doughty/Karlsson/Pietrangelo tier......they cost a lot more for sure.

member 262271

I mean if we remove JT Miller from the Ryan McDonagh trade I think we'd see it's possible.

1st+Brown+?

Or Brown+Gardiner+2nd

Those aren't insignificant assets. Now when we're talking about a top 4 RHD, we're talking more in the Tanev/Pysyk tier, not a Doughty/Karlsson/Pietrangelo tier......they cost a lot more for sure.
This is true - another part that I didn't really think of at the time of my post was, who is outbidding you. Lots of teams willing to overpay, glad the Leafs didn't, at least for Ryan McDonagh.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is true - another part that I didn't really think of at the time of my post was, who is outbidding you. Lots of teams willing to overpay, glad the Leafs didn't, at least for Ryan McDonagh.

I think it would be a massive failure if the Leafs don't figure out the defense this summer.

member 262271

I think it would be a massive failure if the Leafs don't figure out the defense this summer.
I hope they can sign someone of some significance, and not overpay too much, although it'll happen if it's someone good.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I hope they can sign someone of some significance, and not overpay too much, although it'll happen if it's someone good.

Well John Carlson fits the bill for that perfectly.

I wonder if the Leafs still sign Ozhiganov and how he would fit into the lineup? Would only be a bottom pairing guy but perhaps someone who could be a more skilled Polak?

There's a lot of good options the Leafs could explore. Just through pure internal movement, Hainsey will probably get cut down to 20 minutes a night next year with Dermott going up closer to 18-19 to make up for it. Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner (assuming he sticks around) will probably still get 22-23 minutes a night. Then really you just need one guy who can handle PK and like 16 minutes a night. That's not that hard to find most likely.

Alternatively, the Leafs could look at trading Gardiner and getting an equivalent or better RD in return. Just depends upon how the Leafs want to structure their lineup (stacked top 4 vs. balanced top 6).

LD: Rielly (1), Gardiner (2/3), Dermott (5) | Borgman, Rosen, Nielsen, Marincin (RFA), Middleton (if signed)
RD: Zaitsev (2/3), Hainsey (4), Carrick (6/7), UFA (Ozhiganov?) (6/7) | Holl, LoVerde, Liljegren, Mattinen (if signed)

OR

LD: Rielly (1), Dermott (5), Borgman (6/7) | Rosen, Nielsen, Marincin (RFA), Middleton (if signed)
RD: Zaitsev (3), Hainsey (4), Trade/UFA (2), Carrick/Ozhiganov (6/7, if Hainsey swaps over to LD to get them in over Borgman) | Holl, LoVerde, Liljegren, Mattinen (if signed).

I think it's far more likely we just see the first option next year, with the most drastic changes being that Dermott gets more minutes in favour of Hainsey and Ozhiganov (or a different UFA) replaces Polak in the rotation with Carrick. Do not know how many fans are going to like it, and it would have been a lot easier if the Leafs decided to sell off their UFA's. Could have easily had the assets to pick up a good guy to supplement the defense.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not even sure Ozhiganov fits into our NHL roster plans next season, he'd have to really blow us away.

Open to Carlson if the money isn't crazy.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone have a list of younger right hand D traded in the last few years ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Right D has been weak for years.
Wouldn't they have been trying to get a Right D for some time now ?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We've made (making) the playoffs in the 2 seasons post last place/tank season. We're way ahead of schedule.

That's very inspiring to be honest.

The team is doing great. I was referring to our right handed defense depth though, it is poor.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It takes time.
I feel like they're gonna start getting a bit more aggressive beginning in the summer.

They need to. Rielly has been a bit underwhelming since returning. Gardiner and Dermott have played well. I haven't minded Carrick, certainly better then Polak. Hainsey and Zaitsev have been pretty bad though. Can't go into next season with the same defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad