The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Just finished up BioShock Infinite.

Fantastic game. Really enjoyed the whole experience. I'm sad that this gem sat in my backlog for so long before I actually played it, mostly because I didn't really enjoy BioShock 2.

My only (minor) complaint was the lack of ammo, particularly in some areas. It might be a personal pet peeve, but I dislike when it feels like you're constantly running out of ammo. I usually enjoy picking a type of gun and sticking too it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong....:laugh:

Either way, definitely a recommendation from me.

Reactions: NyQuil

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
No Man's Sky

... not sure what number I'd put on it, it was OK, sometimes even pretty good, oftentimes tedious, with little to no direction. I completed the Artemis questline as well as a fair bit of wandering around, spent about 50 hours on it, once I saw the light at the end of the tunnel I stopped a lot of the exploring and just searched for the stuff I needed to warp to the center of the universe. The overhype killed the game, with more polish and more time in the oven it could have probably been a good bit more.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just finished up BioShock Infinite.

Fantastic game. Really enjoyed the whole experience. I'm sad that this gem sat in my backlog for so long before I actually played it, mostly because I didn't really enjoy BioShock 2.

My only (minor) complaint was the lack of ammo, particularly in some areas. It might be a personal pet peeve, but I dislike when it feels like you're constantly running out of ammo. I usually enjoy picking a type of gun and sticking too it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong....:laugh:

Either way, definitely a recommendation from me.

I was impressed how much I ended up caring about Elizabeth.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Owlboy - 5/10

This game was actually really disappointing to me. The aesthetic, story, and music is all top notch, some of the best I've ever seen. The dungeon design is decent but the main problem with the game is the gameplay. It feels so clunky and frustrating. It got to the point where I didn't really want to finish it but I got so far I felt I had to. If it wasn't for the great aesthetics and music, I probably wouldn't have played the game at all and would have probably been better off. I did really enjoy the music though so I guess that much was worth it. I'd suggest skipping over this one even if the screenshots seem really tempting.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Detroit Become Human - Too damn pacifist for my tastes, in a preachy, humorless and heavy-handed way. Once you figure out David Cage's rather limited worldview about political resistance, it becomes quite easy to get the desired ending. Play against his worldview and you will suffer. Honestly this game just made me mad, even though I admire the skill with which it was made. I guess I would rate it 3/5, having liked Heavy Rain (David Cage's previous, similarly flawed game) much better.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just finished Her Story.

I really enjoyed this game, so much so that I made my wife play it after I finished and she loved it to. If you’ve never played it the basic premise is that you have to solve a murder using only short clips of video from various interviews with the victim’s wife.

I love the idea behind detective games, but too often you’re just handed the answer and all the valuable pieces of evidence on a silver platter. That’s not the case in this game. You have to really dig for all the crucial evidence and piece together this great story for yourself through the use of an in-game search engine.

The actress in the game did a phenomenal job. She played the part to perfection. The writing was interesting and very engaging and I just love the concept.

The only complaint I have is that I wish you could watch all of the clips in order once you finish the game. I wanted the full story and I was able to find it onYoutube, but there was always someone talking over it and explaining it and that was a bit annoying. I still have some video clips to find but I doubt I’ll het around to it because I know the whole story.

It took me about an hour and a half to finish so if you’re bored one day with a couple hours to kill I would highly recommend Her Story. 9/10.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
The Flame in the Flood
A simple yet surprisingly challenging little survival game....took me a while to get the hang of the crafting menu and figure out what to prioritize ...oh and dont get me started on the rafting learning curve lol...anyway I enjoyed the 3 hours spent...was satisfying to finally get down the river alive..a fun little game...overall 8/10

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 6/10 total

Graphics & visuals: 9/10
Story: 7.5/10
Game mechanics: 5/10
Variety: 3/10
Challenge: 5/10

The game is visually beautiful and the story has some compelling elements. The game play mechanics while being unique don't result in a lot of variety or challenge to complete the game though. In some ways it feels more like a visual novel then a challenging game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The Sims 3 (PS3, 2010)

Usually I open these reviews with a picture but in this case there's not much to go on. Aside from most pictures being based on one of the multiple DLCs that are the sort of thing EA touches itself over when a new Sims game comes out, none of them really reflect, well, anything I might have experienced from playing the game itself.

My first Sims game was the second one on the PS2. I enjoyed it as much as any fourteen year old would, making myself and an assortment of girls I knew and building ugly houses for them to live in. Great. I thought it would be better on the PC with more detail and depth but I was put off, I think because there was too much of that. It was overwhelming, and much less interesting than the Football Manager 2007 I'd got the same christmas.

So in 2011 when I was bored and looking for some stuff preowned to play I ended up with this. Fast forward seven years and after being irredeemably bored by it back then I finally saw it go cheap enough on amazon for me to take the plunge, and I here I am. I've played it normally and I've played it specifically with trophies in mind and I have one question which I've been unable to answer no matter how hard I've tried. What's the point?

It's what I imagine is pretty standard Sims stuff. You create slightly warped facsimiles of humans, you give them a name, a woefully limited assortment of facial feature adjustments and a few traits which define their personality. They go into one of a selection of houses in a small town and speak gibberish and can talk to other similar pseudo-humans in the town, and do the normal things. Not long into my first game here I remembered a problem I'd experienced in 2011. My man woke up. He ate. He washed. He went to the toilet. He went to work. He came back. He ate. He slept. He woke up. He ate. He washed. He went to the toilet. He went to work. And so on. At what point does this become a video game?

The answer is when you have more than one sim and control some who do things while the others take care of those things themselves. And, er, that's it. I remember getting a lot of enjoyment out of dressing the Sims and designing houses and buying furniture back on the PS2 but here, there doesn't seem to be a lot of purpose. I get that the more you put in the more you'll get out if you write biographies and stuff for them and really try to create lives for them but I couldn't get past the stage of wondering what purpose any of this was serving.

Somewhat paradoxically related to this is the lack of any sense of challenge to the game, which is borne of the attempts at variety. You can pick up to five personality traits for a sim and then a lifetime wish for them to achieve based on those. There are other wishes your sims develop periodically through the game, stuff like going to the library or watching TV. You do this for them and then you complete the next lot of wishes that come along. But, the skills which can be acquired can be acquired by anyone regardless of their personality traits. Anyone can get any job they want and be promoted to the top of it regardless of their personality. You don't even have to do anything to keep their careers progressing, they go and you can tell them to work harder but managing their mood as a result doesn't take any effort.

Even then, their jobs don't matter. You can't interact with anything meaningful when they're at work, so they can be a policeman or a musician or a sports star and there's no tangible difference to anything. Plus once you've played it for long enough and accrued enough money you buy properties in town and can collect payments from them every week, far outstripping anything you'll make from work. The slender amount of gameplay available necessitates your sims actually being available for you to control, so work at this point becomes a waste of time.

The town itself seems really small and crappy to me too. The loading times moving between areas are bad. I get that there's a lot of individual characters that need to be loaded in but it still doesn't seem like there's enough to cause as many problems as there are. But then, why go to a place with a chess table or an easel or a computer when you can buy them for your home and get your sims to do what you want without being randomly interrupted? There's times where the game feels like a contradiction of everything in it, which is where so much of my question of 'what's the point' comes into play. There are challenges for you to complete related to doing things the game has to offer but these are ultimately as pointless as anything else. Why would I need or want to buy fancy furniture I've unlocked when the stuff I have already works and I'm used to it?

It's probably something of a cop-out for me to say "if this is the sort of thing you like you'll like it", but I don't know what else there is. The main purpose of these games is creating people and houses for them to live in and simulating their lives in whatever way you want, but for me too much of this is either bogged down in the sort of busywork you play video games to not have to deal with, while the rest offers no challenge and serves no discernible purpose.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Seasons After Fall - 6/10

I mainly bought this game because I love the art style and it definitely did not disappoint. It's certainly one of the more beautiful games out there and is the major selling point. If you don't like the art style, just skip past this as it's the majority of the game. The music is great to match as well. It's not the kind of music I would go listening to the OST for but it fits the game great. It's a puzzle/platformer with rather poor platforming, almost frustrating at times. You can't die but it makes the game feel repetitive as you just find yourself repeating sections since you missed a jump due to the game's awkward jumping mechanics. The puzzles themselves are rather neat as you have to change seasons on a whim to generate new platforms such as switching to winter to freeze water geysers to reach higher platforms or switching to summer to make vines grow to reach another platform. The story is serviceable for a puzzle/platformer.

Overall, like I said, if you like puzzle/platformers and like the art style, give the game a go. It's not too long, only about 6-7 hours. But I feel like it's certainly forgettable and it's not a big deal if you skip this one.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Continuing on with my playthrough of the FarCry series I just completed (thank god it's over) FarCry Primal.

I'd give it a 4/10. Nothing really special about it. Characters sucked. Combat was meh. I guess the stealth factor and pet control was okay. Easily IMO the worst of the franchise.

On wards to Far Cry 5.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

IIRC I would just use Elizabeth to warp in ammo whenever I needed it, no?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Continuing on with my playthrough of the FarCry series I just completed (thank god it's over) FarCry Primal.

I'd give it a 4/10. Nothing really special about it. Characters sucked. Combat was meh. I guess the stealth factor and pet control was okay. Easily IMO the worst of the franchise.

On wards to Far Cry 5.

I'm really having a hard time bringing myself to finish Far Cry 5. I know Sined doesn't want to hear that, but it is tough to want to play more.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Aggelos

Metroidvania / LoZ 2 hybrid

I enjoyed this one.

Pros: Very smooth old school graphics. Melee combat with special abilities. Challenging but not artificially difficult.

Cons: Music is old school, but very repetitive. Map is worthless.

Worth the $11.99 I picked it up for.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished Rage last week. It's decent, though disappointing. The graphics and shooter aspects (feeling of the guns, gun variety, AI, etc.) are very good (as one might expect from id), but the game is linear, the vehicle combat is mediocre, the minigames are not fun and the story is almost non-existent.

Speaking of the story, the ending is quite lame, as many have said before. There's no end boss, just wave upon wave of the weakest enemies in the game, which can each be killed with single shotgun blast. There's barely even an end cinematic. The game just ends, giving the distinct impression that id was up against a deadline (perhaps the drawback of being published by Bethesda, rather than self-publishing, like their earlier titles) and wasn't allowed to finish an epic final level or two.

Fortunately, I had put off the Scorchers DLC (which was released a year later and adds a mini campaign) until after I finished the main campaign. It's well done, a little more difficult and features a boss battle that might've sufficed for the end of the main campaign. It's like id wanted to make up for the rushed main game. For that reason, if the upcoming Rage 2 eventually inspires anyone else to play the original, I recommend saving most of the Scorchers DLC quest for after the main campaign. It doesn't make up for the really weak ending to the main campaign, but it helps to mitigate the disappointment a little bit.

Last edited:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I recently beat Xcom 2, which was the "free" game for PS4 in June in the UK.

I enjoyed it a great deal, which surprised me as I'm not really a fan of turn based strategy type things like Xcom.

I thought it was a well-built game, although I would have liked more time to plod through and prepare more thoroughly for the last mission. Now I've beaten it I don't feel compelled to replay it at all.

But hey... it was free, so I am satisfied with my experience.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
DOOM (2016)

I finally got around to playing this gem. Despite a few issues getting it to run fullscreen on my monitor (still not sure why I had to use Windowed, but I did), I had a blast with this game. Fast paced and action packed. When the metal kicks in, you know shit's about to go down.

I'm not normally an ultra-gore fan, but this is definitely a recommend (albeit a couple years late).

They Are Billions

I also finally got around to sinking some more time into this early access baby. Still very raw, but a fantastic concept that is (for the most part) well executed.

I definitely didn't "beat" it yet (probably never will :laugh:), but I still figured it was worth a mention.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1624861-braid03.jpg

Braid (PS3, 2009)

As I'm trying to start writing this I don't remember if I first played Braid in 2009 when it came out or in 2011 when I first got a trophy in it. Before checking I felt as if I played it soon after it was available, but I found it hard to believe that I managed to not even finish the first world. Then again, I'm useless at puzzle games now, so it's not hard to believe I would have been that useless nine years ago.
Braid is a 2D puzzle platforming time controlling game which might be the most pretentious thing I've ever played. It was something of a landmark in indie games at the time it was made with regards to its development, which you can see various videos about on youtube. There's a good IGN one about its creator Jonathan Blow, and wikipedia tells me a film was made about it. It was one of the first really popular ones on the Xbox Live marketplace and when you consider the sort of things you see for sale there and the PS Store and Steam nowadays, there's a decent debate to be had about the merits and the drawbacks. There's a no doubt viable alternative to AAA gaming which gets worse in various ways every year, but there's a lot less quality assurance and services like PlayStation Plus and Games With Gold or whatever the Xbox equivalent is called can lead to snobbery in people who don't want to play shitty little indie games, as you can see on the internet when each month's free games are announced.

That's an argument for people with more knowledge on the subject than I to have however, so here we are. I remember being excited to play Braid originally because I'd seen it mentioned in the classic Games Are Art debate and thought ah, I'll be dead clever if I play this. Cut to some puzzles with planes of thinking I'm not capable of which aren't really explained in any great deal and what can I say, I felt underwhelmed. Fast forward to the present and with a slightly greater capacity for logical thought and a trusty youtube tab open and waiting, and it's not so bad. I even managed some of the puzzles myself. Some.

The game is split into five worlds (or five and a half, the last one's weird and doesn't count) all built around a central mechanic of altering time somehow. Time might only move when you do, or you can interact with objects which don't move if you rewind time. Thinking about it now it's interesting how subtle changes between what you're actually doing can feel so pronounced. You need a completely different way of playing the game to get past each level in each world, so there's certainly a lot of variety. This is good, because when you know what you're doing you can technically finish the game in about 45 minutes, so variation in the gameplay is essential. As you go through the levels you collect jigsaw pieces, using them to create a picture at the end of each world which complements the text introductions for the story.

Braid is very good looking. It's got a half-drawn, half rendered art style which is bright and vivid. It's everything you want in a 2D puzzle game. The backgrounds are one thing I never tired of as I was playing. The music seems to be another object of praise but I just found it annoying. The art style on its own is fine, but when it combined with the music and the story (which I'll come to soon) there was something strange and off-putting to me. The music seems to make the game feel... posh. Snooty. Like it's been chosen or made specifically to make it seem like some sort of high culture. I didn't like it.
While that sound a bit facile, there's a reason for it. The game is supposed to subvert established video gaming tropes. The story is centred around your suited man there Tim, who's trying to get a Princess back. So far, so familiar. But take a look at one of the bits of text leading into a level:

2241206-braid3.png

There's one in particular I can't find on the internet that's even wordier and more pretentious. That's the word I'd use to sum up Braid though. Pretentious. I'm quite happy with something that subverts genre expectations - my love of BioShock and Spec Ops: The Line attest to this - but there's a sense in Braid that it's being done in a manner that thinks it's better than video games. I don't want to speak for the people involved in the game's creation but it's as if they took it too far. They tried to be clever and ended up being too clever for their own good. This seems to be one interpretation of the game I've found online, that the characters in the game went through this, so maybe it's life imitating art.

To me though, games like Limbo, The Swapper, even Entwined, all attempt the same kind of existential whataboutery in an atmospheric way but manage it much more convincingly. Maybe it's a concept which needed time to be refined, maybe The Witness (2016) is much better than this, I don't know. The only thing I can say for some of this stuff is that it goes beyond feeling like a reward for the amount of effort you need to put into it.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
i didn't get far in Braid...i guess i suck at puzzles too..it frustrated me ,so i quit...same with the Swapper..but for whatever reason Inside and Limbo were challengeing but I was compelled to finish them..weird

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nioh - Liked the environment and zones, thought the difficulty was decent for most non-bosses, found some of the bosses a bit too gimmicky. Likely rate it a 4/5

Mad Max - Ok game, quite easy, lots of make work projects, car stuff was mostly good. But it just felt like one of the worst post apocalypse worlds to live in from the games I played (though I don't really do horror games) and constantly found myself thinking that stinks or how many people are there in this wasteland for me to kill or how old is Max vs everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad