Player Discussion The Klingberg Conundrum (Re-Sign/Trade/Lose to FA)

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Klingberg is getting traded to the highest bidder regardless of the team's status. He has no means by which to force a trade to teams of a specific caliber because he has no Nmc or NTc, other than saying he won't sign with anyone but a contender but that is all he can do.

Assuming he gets traded of course
For sure.

I was inclined to believe a contender would make good use of his skillset.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Some of these Klingberg/Petry trade proposals are hilarious

In this one, the Stars give Klingberg to Montreal, then dump Khudobin at the cost of a 1st rounder or one of our top 3 prospects...in exchange for Petry alone w/ no retention :laugh:

Where do people come up with this stuff

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

In this one, the Stars give Klingberg to Montreal, then dump Khudobin at the cost of a 1st rounder or one of our top 3 prospects...in exchange for Petry alone w/ no retention :laugh:

I saw that the other day and decided that if the Stars did something that stupid, I'd stop watching hockey altogether, sell all my cards and jerseys, and never think about the sport ever again. :laugh:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I saw that the other day and decided that if the Stars did something that stupid, I'd stop watching hockey altogether, sell all my cards and jerseys, and never think about the sport ever again. :laugh:
If the Stars make a trade that completely Pejorative Slured, i feel like a baseball bat to some knees would be in order

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Lol at one of the twitter comments "Scenario #1 is a decent return" lmao. Lebrun must have been into the sauce. Just because a guy in his mid-30s and past his prime on his last NHL contract has term doesn't mean you can abuse your trade partner.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Rory

Jun 14, 2017

So because he has term Dallas has to give top prospects and klingberg? He is having a terrible year and could be falling off at his age. Plus Dallas take full cap hit back? This would be the worst trade in history.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Lol at one of the twitter comments "Scenario #1 is a decent return" lmao. Lebrun must have been into the sauce. Just because a guy in his mid-30s and past his prime on his last NHL contract has term doesn't mean you can abuse your trade partner.
Decent?! LOL

If you think some of us are going to be disappointed in the return for Klingberg, can you imagine the disappointment Habs fans will feel if they think that return is only decent?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Decent?! LOL

If you think some of us are going to be disappointed in the return for Klingberg, can you imagine the disappointment Habs fans will feel if they think that return is only decent?

Man, large fan bases are obnoxious. In reality, they'll probably have to pay someone to take Petry's terrible contract, and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if no one touches it with a 10 foot pole. Not to mention the negative attention sideshow that is his wife.

"Old, expensive, declining? Sign me up!" - Jim Nill, probably

Reactions: M88K

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008

I would rather keep him, miss the playoffs, and let him walk in free agency before accepting that proposal.

Reactions: Sports2 and M88K

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
If Montreal proposed that trade I would give every team in their division a 7th round pick out of spite to make every team objectively better before they were when that call took place.

Reactions: M88K

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
National media in the past week or two said Dallas and Klingberg's agent hadn't spoken in quite some time. Saad is saying today that the sides did speak about an extension recently, but they didn't make much progress in closing the gap.

Take it however you like, but he seems to suggest that Dallas is interested in a contract. He didn't use this example, but it may be similar to the Lindhom negotiation where the term is the major sticking point, and I believe Marek suggested that as well several months ago.

Because he was not traded, only the Dallas Stars can offer an 8-year contract now unless it's a sign-and-trade after the season (and that can only happen prior to the start of free agency. That seems very unlikely.

I'd be pretty surprised if a team didn't step up with a rather significant 7-year offer like NJ did for Hamilton. Klingberg's age makes it maybe less likely, but Seattle seems like a reasonable candidate. I would not be optimistic that Dallas and Klingberg find a number that is comfortable for both sides. I think the most optimistic thing to hope for is that Seattle would value the 8th year enough to do a sign-and-trade sending a mid-round pick to Dallas.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
National media in the past week or two said Dallas and Klingberg's agent hadn't spoken in quite some time. Saad is saying today that the sides did speak about an extension recently, but they didn't make much progress in closing the gap.

Take it however you like, but he seems to suggest that Dallas is interested in a contract. He didn't use this example, but it may be similar to the Lindhom negotiation where the term is the major sticking point, and I believe Marek suggested that as well several months ago.

Because he was not traded, only the Dallas Stars can offer an 8-year contract now unless it's a sign-and-trade after the season (and that can only happen prior to the start of free agency. That seems very unlikely.

I'd be pretty surprised if a team didn't step up with a rather significant 7-year offer like NJ did for Hamilton. Klingberg's age makes it maybe less likely, but Seattle seems like a reasonable candidate. I would not be optimistic that Dallas and Klingberg find a number that is comfortable for both sides. I think the most optimistic thing to hope for is that Seattle would value the 8th year enough to do a sign-and-trade sending a mid-round pick to Dallas.

I'm sorry BigG, this post is too depressing to even entertain or discuss.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad