Player Discussion The Klingberg Conundrum (Re-Sign/Trade/Lose to FA)

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Let us dream. Deep down we all know we aren't getting a return and we're going to walk him right to ufa, but let us have our brief ray of sunshine.

Fair enough, I’ve basically already committed to not watching at all next season if the team lets these guys walk and Nill doesn’t get fired as a result. I’ve watched lots of bad stars hockey in my time, but I’m too old to tolerate that level of trash managing.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Fair enough, I’ve basically already committed to not watching at all next season if the team lets these guys walk and Nill doesn’t get fired as a result. I’ve watched lots of bad stars hockey in my time, but I’m too old to tolerate that level of trash managing.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've given up mostly watching the games live anymore. 2-3am starting times are less than ideal, especially when they aren't always showing up or just keep hitting their heads against the wall with the same plans year in, year out.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
None of us thought Brendan Morrow would return what he did at the time. Who knows.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
None of us thought Brendan Morrow would return what he did at the time. Who knows.

Man ... I remember having a low-key panic attack when that trade was breaking. I was so excited I just remember being a little out of breath. Also shows to not get too enamored with a prospect though ... lol. To be fair though, we still aren't talking about a guy that was a roster player in a Top 6/Top 4 role. I think that's fair to say it's fun to think about but delusional.

#Necas

You're right about prospects that might be available though. Definitely can get shocked about who a team might actually be willing to include that's not on their roster, and I think Joe Morrow definitely was that at that time.

Reactions: LT

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

I mean the 3rd we traded along with Brendan turned out to be Jake Guentzel, so there's that

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Man ... I remember having a low-key panic attack when that trade was breaking. I was so excited I just remember being a little out of breath. Also shows to not get too enamored with a prospect though ... lol. To be fair though, we still aren't talking about a guy that was a roster player in a Top 6/Top 4 role. I think that's fair to say it's fun to think about but delusional.

#Necas

You're right about prospects that might be available though. Definitely can get shocked about who a team might actually be willing to include that's not on their roster, and I think Joe Morrow definitely was that at that time.

I don't think Necas is going to happen. I think we're going to see something more like Jordan Staal's trade from PIT to CAR return at absolute best.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think Necas is going to happen. I think we're going to see something more like Jordan Staal's trade from PIT to CAR return at absolute best.

That'd be great though, no? I mean that type of package would be huge.

8th overall, Brandon Sutter, and Brian Dumoulin is basically what they've reported Dallas is asking for: 3 key pieces. I think something comparable to that would actually be a huge win for Dallas. Pittsburgh got a Top 10 pick, a 23 year old roster player that was quality, and a 21 year old defender coming off an excellent career with Boston College.

I'd be very stocked for something like that. From that Athletic article, if you replace Fast with a 1st, I think you have a similar package. It's not quite as good though: 2023rd 1st, Suzuki, and Koivunen. I still think Morrow would be a worthy target though as well.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That's basically why I just want to hurry up and see Chychrun end up in Florida. I'm hoping it'll twist Carolina into stepping up and making a splash too. That or Toronto and Boston causing a bit of a bidding war. Dallas needs multiple serious suitors who are motivated to make this a great return.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That'd be great though, no? I mean that type of package would be huge.

8th overall, Brandon Sutter, and Brian Dumoulin is basically what they've reported Dallas is asking for: 3 key pieces. I think something comparable to that would actually be a huge win for Dallas. Pittsburgh got a Top 10 pick, a 23 year old roster player that was quality, and a 21 year old defender coming off an excellent career with Boston College.

I'd be very stocked for something like that. From that Athletic article, if you replace Fast with a 1st, I think you have a similar package. It's not quite as good though: 2023rd 1st, Suzuki, and Koivunen. I still think Morrow would be a worthy target though as well.

Oh I think it’d be fantastic too. Even something like Bear + Morrow + 1st would be fine with me.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Seems like this could potentially be relevant. Wheeler now has Morrow, Suzuki, Koivunen, and Gunler as the Canes Top 4 prospects. He said any of those 4 could have been #1. There are 5 total (the other being Drury) that have a chance to be impact players in the NHL.

I thought Morrow's immediate impact in the NCAA probably significantly raised his stock in the scouts' eyes and ultimately the team as well. I wonder if he's someone they wouldn't be willing to move now.

Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 9 Carolina Hurricanes

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Hey Starry, what did you think about Joey Keane when he played for London in 2018-19? He'll require waivers next year, while at the moment you'd think only 1 of DeAngelo or Bear would probably return if Carolina goes with Pesce, DeAngelo, and Bear again on the right side he could end up mostly a healthy scratch or a guy that gets placed on waivers. That could make him a guy Carolina would think about moving maybe as a 2nd tier prospect along with say one of their better forward prospects.

But the reality of his game is much smoother than the look of it, with elite skating ability, a physical presence, excellent transition value (both ways), and an overall toughness and confidence about him. His skating helps him escape trouble, he plays an aggressive style, and he’s a righty with pro athleticism. Those things should make him a useful No. 4-6 D who gives a group of six some uncommon elements.
Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 9 Carolina Hurricanes

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Not a Stars fan, but is there anyone in the system to replace Klingberg?

Not replacing the player himself but more like being able to take over his minutes and provide somewhat as what he's provided on the back end thus far.

Is there a fit for Tyson Barrie assuming Klingberg is traded to a contender at the TDL? This isn't to suggest they're being traded for each other.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

Not replacing the player himself but more like being able to take over his minutes and provide somewhat as what he's provided on the back end thus far.

Is there a fit for Tyson Barrie assuming Klingberg is traded to a contender at the TDL? This isn't to suggest they're being traded for each other.
Thomas Harley has the potential to be that risky puck moving dman, but the Stars are loaded on the left hand side and need right handers on the blueline so he does fit a need that way.

Reactions: pbatx

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

I’ve said it before , I could see something happening with klingberg for Barrie . Obviously Edmonton would be adding . Not saying this should happen but I could see nill doing it .I am pretty sure Barrie is best friends with Benn so there would be at least one advocate on the team .

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I’ve said it before , I could see something happening with klingberg for Barrie . Obviously Edmonton would be adding . Not saying this should happen but I could see nill doing it .I am pretty sure Barrie is best friends with Benn so there would be at least one advocate on the team .
Klingberg wouldn't be traded to Edmonton. He would be traded to a cup contender. Edmonton is NOT a contender by any means.

I was looking to see if Edmonton could move Barrie for a shutdown D in Hakaanpa. Barrie's cap hit is at 4.5M and he's got 2 years left after this season. Evan Bouchard made him redundant as Bouchard can play top pairing and the PP. I'm looking to see if it makes sense from the Stars perspective to trade Barrie for Hakaanpa.

So something like Barrie + Samorukov or Niemelainen for Hakaanpa.

Edmonton gets a shutdown D and Stars get Klingberg's replacement and a younger shutdown D. Both Samorukov and Nemo should be NHL ready next season. They could step in now but they'd need to adjust at the NHL level.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Klingberg wouldn't be traded to Edmonton. He would be traded to a cup contender. Edmonton is NOT a contender by any means.

I was looking to see if Edmonton could move Barrie for a shutdown D in Hakaanpa. Barrie's cap hit is at 4.5M and he's got 2 years left after this season. Evan Bouchard made him redundant as Bouchard can play top pairing and the PP. I'm looking to see if it makes sense from the Stars perspective to trade Barrie for Hakaanpa.

Edmonton gets a shutdown D and Stars get Klingberg's replacement and a younger shutdown D. Both Samorukov and Nemo should be NHL ready next season. They could step in now but they'd need to adjust at the NHL level.
Klingberg is getting traded to the highest bidder regardless of the team's status. He has no means by which to force a trade to teams of a specific caliber because he has no Nmc or NTc, other than saying he won't sign with anyone but a contender but that is all he can do.

Assuming he gets traded of course

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

No to trading Hakanpaa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad