The King (Jeremy Roenick) speaks one more time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResidentAlien*

gscarpenter2002 said:
More dooknob idiots who I would not let wash my car, let alone want to know? :dunno:

#)$(&@)

He is the reason you are here.
Ya, they are all in it for the money....as you are in the job you are in for something else?? Seriously get over it. I just dont get some of the way over the top posters here who seem to hate the players, makes no sense to me at all..but thats just me.Did they have a serious lack of leadership??...uf'nbethcya.
Id love to see you turn down any PA member who offered to wash your prelude.
Go wash it yourself

ResidentAlien*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Well, the joke is on them. None of these guys get any of MY money. I think I have paid for exactly one game, at MLG about 16 or 17 years ago. I bought a ticket in the greys for about $10.

One does not have to "take it personally" to recognize a guy is a goof.

So let me get this straight...you pay to see one game almost 20 years ago and the joke is on them how? Because some guy who wouldnt pay to see him play thinks he is a goof...wow.
This is one of the funniset threads I have seen.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Think of it as one classeless statement in response to a number of stupid comments made by naive hockey fans who only blame the players for all that has transpired. Greedy players this...greedy players that...blah blah blah. If you don't like how much money these players make, don't watch NHL hockey anymore. It's that simple. JR's absolutely right in that regard.

No one should blame everything on the players, but it is their stubborness and failure to look at the books sooner combined with their lack of understanding of how the interest in hockey is not where it needs to be has led us to this point. I dont care how much the players make, but if your "love it or leave it" attitude is shared by the players then it further shows how far from reality they are......they can't afford to lose *any* fans, even the ones that, god forbid, criticize them.

I don't, however agree with Roenick's assessment that they could have signed a better deal in February. How useful is a 42.5 M cap if there's no floor and no mechanisms for inflation that the NHL proposed? That 42.5 M cap figure would rarely be reached if there's no salary arbitration, 110% QOs, or lowered UFA age. Moreover, with no floor, the teams could offer the players whatever they wish since the players would have no leverage. The mid ranked NHLers totally get screwed.

What is the floor going to be now? 22-25m? What teams wouldnt spend that much anyway. The february deal would have been much more in the players favor, dont kid yourself. Regarding the rest of the details, none were released so you cannot comment on them.
This new deal (as has been discussed by the media) presents an opportunity for the cap figure to rise...perhaps significantly past 42.5 M if league revenues are substantially increased. Moreover, there's a cap floor with luxury tax that ensures the small market clubs get more money and must spend some of it on player costs. Guaranteed contracts and arbitration are also still retained...two of the sacred cows that the league potentially wanted to eliminate in the February deal.

The players could have had all of this and played last season if they werent a bunch of sheep. Many of us have been saying for MONTHS that they should give in to the cap and negotiate the best possible cap for them. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew the owners werent bluffing. The financial situation is too poor to assume they would bluff.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
I know

HF2002 said:
And now that I've heard his homily... he can kiss my a$$. He thinksthe players are doing us all a favour by signing this deal. Candid or not, he sounded like a greedy fool.

And him saying how Inginla and Nash, etc. are going to lose millions so they care so much about the game to sign...............shut up........yeah we feel so sorry for guys that are losing millions when we cannot even begin to imagine making 1 million let alone lose millions. What a tool.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
Man

ResidentAlien said:
So let me get this straight...you pay to see one game almost 20 years ago and the joke is on them how? Because some guy who wouldnt pay to see him play thinks he is a goof...wow.

Holy crap,

How can any of you still and ever support the NHLPA. The fact of the matter was that they were idiots. They would not look at the books to know the situation. The NHL offered to go over the Leavitt report and open the books to them and they refused time after time. How in the heck can you negotiate when you do not know the numbers. Now they spend the lat 2 months going over the numbers. Pure idiots. Unbelievable actually.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
No one should blame everything on the players, but it is their stubborness and failure to look at the books sooner combined with their lack of understanding of how the interest in hockey is not where it needs to be has led us to this point. I dont care how much the players make, but if your "love it or leave it" attitude is shared by the players then it further shows how far from reality they are......they can't afford to lose *any* fans, even the ones that, god forbid, criticize them.

I'm sure the players were well aware of the financial state of the league. It's hard to overlook it when teams like Ottawa and Buffalo were in grave danger. However, there are legitimate reasons why the players don't or didn't trust the owners. The Levitt report was misleading even though it was termed by Bettman as a super audit when it clearly wasn't. It overstated the league's losses.

Moreover, I believe the onus was on the large market teams to form a partnership with their small market brothers before seeking such a relationship with the players. These owners will now instead be making 20 - 40 M profits annually. All that money these large market teams previously had no major issues giving up now goes back into the hands of already wealthy people. But I have no problem with this as such profits continues to give the Avs quite a leg up on 2/3rds of the league.

What is the floor going to be now? 22-25m? What teams wouldnt spend that much anyway.

I can think of a few. When small market clubs witness the richest teams raking in cash, they'd attempt to go below the 20 M figure to make som dough on their own. After all, they'd figure a such a payroll could still allow them to be competitive since the cap figure of 42.5 M was low enough. Moreover, if there were no mechanisms for inflation (salary arb, QOs), all teams would low ball the mid-ranked players.

The february deal would have been much more in the players favor, dont kid yourself. Regarding the rest of the details, none were released so you cannot comment on them.

The details weren't released but surely there's reasons why the NHLPA rebuffed the NHL's offer. Reports indicate the players were willing to accept the 42.5 M figure until they looked at the rest of the NHL's proposal. What could have turned them off so much? IMHO and other's views, the league must have took away salary arb and other perks the NHLPA holds dear.

I'm curious to know how you know the feb deal was significantly better given how few details have emerged from "sad saturday?" All we know are the difference in the cap levels (42.5 versus 39.5).

The players could have had all of this and played last season if they werent a bunch of sheep. Many of us have been saying for MONTHS that they should give in to the cap and negotiate the best possible cap for them. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew the owners werent bluffing. The financial situation is too poor to assume they would bluff.

This is true. The players misjudged the owners' resolve and they got burned. But I can understand why they fought so valiantly against the cap. The players know that in a cap system (that lacks significant revenue sharing) there's plenty money out there the large market teams are willing to dish out.

Last edited:

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The quotes on the web sites do not do justice to what JR actualy said. I just watched his rant on Sportsnet TV...

He basicaly insulted the fans. Saying that who ever thinks the players are spoiled can kiss his ass. Saying that fans who don't realize the players are trying to give back to the game now are not wanted and they should stay away. And saying once again that everyone can kiss his ass.

He may speak from the heart and I generaly like that. But he seems to be very upset that the fans have turned on the players. I think the fans' reactions is justified. He stated himself that the players were "idiots" for not taking the 42.5. The fans have done nothing but suffer. It's normal that we be upset at these guys.

I have lost alot or respect for Roenick. Not for speaking his mind but for taking out his frustratiuon on the fans. He should be pissed at the players who told him he talked to much back in the spring. Roenick deserves to be booed mercilessly in every arena he visits in October.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
The Macho Man said:
The quotes on the web sites do not do justice to what JR actualy said. I just watched his rant on Sportsnet TV...

He basicaly insulted the fans. Saying that who ever thinks the players are spoiled can kiss his ass. Saying that fans who don't realize the players are trying to give back to the game now are not wanted and they should stay away. And saying once again that everyone can kiss his ass.

He may speak from the heart and I generaly like that. But he seems to be very upset that the fans have turned on the players. I think the fans' reactions is justified. He stated himself that the players were "idiots" for not taking the 42.5. The fans have done nothing but suffer. It's normal that we be upset at these guys.

I have lost alot or respect for Roenick. Not for speaking his mind but for taking out his frustratiuon on the fans. He should be pissed at the players who told him he talked to much back in the spring. Roenick deserves to be booed mercilessly in every arena he visits in October.

The man has scrambled eggs for brains.....and that was before the concussions!

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
Well, the joke is on them. None of these guys get any of MY money. I think I have paid for exactly one game, at MLG about 16 or 17 years ago. I bought a ticket in the greys for about $10.

One does not have to "take it personally" to recognize a guy is a goof.
It doesn't hurt them at all...Toronto is going to be sold out no matter what. It's just someone else's coin coming out of their pocket.

As for players being greedy and overpaid I don't quite agree. These guys have all been playing since they were 4 years old and gave up their life for something that they love. Is it our fault that they were born with both the talent and and work ethic to be a professional? The money is always being thrown into their face and once it's there no matter who you are you will always want more. Money devaules itself when you have so much so you need more to be happy. If the owners are going to pay it then I have nothing wrong with them taking it. I wouldn't pass it up, you wouldn't pass it up, and the guy a block down wouldn't pass it up. Good for you JR :handclap: .

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The funniest quote after the February betraying of the Union on the fans was Ted Saskin -

We can't envision the deal being any worse

:biglaugh:

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
The Macho Man said:

Here's some of what you were talking about from Piitsburgh Live:
Roenick tees off on labor dispute
"I will say personally, personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous, and screw you guys because we have tried so hard to get this game back on the ice to make it better for the fans," he said. "And if you don't realize that, don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you to watch hockey. Period."

Ah yes, we need more tirades in the NHL just like JR ... it's great for marketing the game .. :shakehead

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I personally loved the part were he said "we all look like idiots".

Thats what i think of the majority of the NHLPA membership. Either idiots or cowards who didn't have enough back bone to stand up to there "leadership" and tell them what they think. If its not a matter of bravery then its just a matter of stupidity. Its one thing to drop the gloves and get into a fight but its another thing to take a stand or state your opinion against your peers. But i guess it was easier to follow blindly.

You would think that these 700 guys would take the time to understand the business. Especially when theres millions of there dollars at stake. Its not like thye were doing anythign else this year.

Oh well as long as they get this damn game cleaned up and start to make the on ice product alot more fun for the fans. They can start by firing that tool Colin Campbell.

Vic Rattlehead*

That is why I dislike Roenick. He could have said what he wanted to say in a more behaved manner, now he just looks like a jacka$$.

Lanny MacDonald*

The king? After saying this...

"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky, for being suck asses, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks. Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game ... they can kiss my ass."

... off with his head! Just another delusional punk who has not yet tasted the real world. His day will come, and it will be entertaining to see him in 10 years, probably very much like Bobby Hull (a drunk and shadow of his former greatness).

GSC2k2*

ResidentAlien said:
#)$(&@)

He is the reason you are here.
Ya, they are all in it for the money....as you are in the job you are in for something else?? Seriously get over it. I just dont get some of the way over the top posters here who seem to hate the players, makes no sense to me at all..but thats just me.Did they have a serious lack of leadership??...uf'nbethcya.
Id love to see you turn down any PA member who offered to wash your prelude.
Go wash it yourself

Sometimes i can't keep up with the pace of posting. Seriously, unless you are a left coaster, you need to get some sleep.

Roenick has precisely dick to do with why i am here. I am pleased to see that my posts are being read by all-knowing seers who can divine my very thoughts ... :shakehead

Whether he is in it for the money is hardly the point. I am a grown man, son. I know exactly how the world turns. I certainly don't need to read a lecture spouting such triteness as "they are all in it for the money". Please. No **** sherlock.

I was commenting on the guy's apparent cluelessness and lack of values such as gratitude and humility. I have no hero-worship fixation on pro athletes as you apparently do. There are some hockey players who show some character that I think would be interesting people to meet. Roenick does not number among them.

As for turning Roenick down to wash my car (not an elderly Prelude I assure you), yep I would. He is an idiot. Roenick would be an idiot if he was making eight bucks an hour at Walmart.

Get over yourself with your little lecture. i do enjoy your posts from time to time but you are off base here.

GSC2k2*

ResidentAlien said:
Well, if you cannot comprehend context, then i have no interest in explaining it to you. I am glad you find this thread funny, but you might consider checking out some actually funny stuff if you consider this "funny".

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
I respect the hockey player that Roenick is, but once again off the ice he looks like a complete fool. He blames everyone but his omnipotent self.

"They could have listened to the players who had an idea of where this was going - myself, (Flyers teammate) Robert Esche, (Calgary Flames captain) Jarome Iginla and (St. Louis Blues defenceman) Chris Pronger," he explained.

That's right, JR. Everyone should have listened to YOU. You were the messiah to this process. For crying out loud, considering the massive damage this process has already done, you the savior decide to take one last kick at everyone? Way to go out of your way to criticize your fellow players, your union leadership and those fans who, heaven forbid, have an opinion and don't blindly worship you and your small group of wise players as gods.

The irony is that he is spoiled and doesn't even realize it. Who but a spoiled brat would actually throw a childish tantrum like this, especially at this stage in the process? I can't believe some people think the league needs more spokesmen like this. We really need more fools?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If I was a pro athlete and someone thought I was a greedy, spoiled brat id say kiss my ass too. Im NOT a pro athlete and if someone called me a greedy, spoiled brat I would say kiss my ass. I wish people would just fricken shut up about the players already, theres SEVEN HUNDRED OF THEM IN THE NHL, every single one has a DIFFERENT PERSONALITY just like in REAL LIFE.

on the boards

Feb 28, 2005
The king? After saying this...

Agreed, Iconoclast. The title of this thread should be changed-- "Roenick" needs to be substituted for "king" as he's anything but...He just undid the efforts he made back in February.
He's such a loose cannon who needs to be held accountable for his mouth. He makes McCabe and Modano look good...

Just another delusional punk who has not yet tasted the real world. His day will come, and it will be entertaining to see him in 10 years, probably very much like Bobby Hull (a drunk and shadow of his former greatness).

...let's just hope his toupee isn't as bad as the one Bobby Hull wears-- no one deserves a rug that looks that baaaaaad

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
anon said:
I respect the hockey player that Roenick is, but once again off the ice he looks like a complete fool. He blames everyone but his omnipotent self.

"They could have listened to the players who had an idea of where this was going - myself, (Flyers teammate) Robert Esche, (Calgary Flames captain) Jarome Iginla and (St. Louis Blues defenceman) Chris Pronger," he explained.

That's right, JR. Everyone should have listened to YOU. You were the messiah to this process. For crying out loud, considering the massive damage this process has already done, you the savior decide to take one last kick at everyone? Way to go out of your way to criticize your fellow players, your union leadership and those fans who, heaven forbid, have an opinion and don't blindly worship you and your small group of wise players as gods.

The irony is that he is spoiled and doesn't even realize it. Who but a spoiled brat would actually throw a childish tantrum like this, especially at this stage in the process? I can't believe some people think the league needs more spokesmen like this. We really need more fools?

He's right. They should have listened to him. What's your point?

NYIsles1*

Roenick talks about the process but he has no respect for anything but what benefits him first and foremost. Only player in NHL history to agree to terms with another team (Philadelphia) before July 1st.

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
abracanada said:
He's right. They should have listened to him. What's your point?
Is he? How do you know? I guess you must have been intimately involved in the process as well. Good for you. And let's say he was right. It really helps the process and helps repair all the damage that's been done already to attack everyone else for personal gratification? He's as self-centered as a 5-year-old. This kind of brash talk may look cute when you're 5, but when you're a full grown man, it's beyond foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad