The King (Jeremy Roenick) speaks one more time

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
NYIsles1 said:
Roenick talks about the process but he has no respect for anything but what benefits him first and foremost. Only player in NHL history to agree to terms with another team (Philadelphia) before July 1st.
That we know of....

Lanny MacDonald*

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
I wish people would just fricken shut up about the players already, theres SEVEN HUNDRED OF THEM IN THE NHL, every single one has a DIFFERENT PERSONALITY just like in REAL LIFE.

Your school girl adoration of the players is precious! They placed themselves in this situation. As Roenick likes to point out, the players are now doing what is best for the game, because they care about the game. Wow! If it took a year of being locked out to show you how much you cared about the game then that says a lot. The fact that these bozos sat by and watched as the game became ill under an agreement that they apparently knew was bad for the game, well that says they didn't care half as much as they like to promote. If the 700+ NHLPA members never played another game that would fine with me. There are other players dying to take their place and make the millions waiting for them. I'll cheer for my teams no matter who wears the jersey. I've proved that over the past decade in spade. Players come and go, the loyalty to the jersey is all that matters for this fan.

on the boards

Feb 28, 2005
The guy did went against the NHLPA leadership and members to do an end run to try to save the season, resulting in a lot of grief for his effort from his peers-- not the fans. However, he took on the challenege, and made the effort because he saw the writing on the wall, knew the players were going to lose, the game would suffer and fans would call the players selfish. So what does Roenick do, blasts the fans in a press conference for having the same insight he, Pronger, Esche and Iginla had...priceless!

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
jeriholic19 said:
These owners will now instead be making 20 - 40 M profits annually. All that money these large market teams previously had no major issues giving up now goes back into the hands of already wealthy people.
The pro-NHLPA posters keep refferring to the 42.5 cap offer with no change over the life of the CBA as an actual offer. It was more of a screw you Goodenow for not negotiating around the idea of cost certainty for several years. It basically showed the deadline hunter that if you completely misread your prey you are gonna get mauled. Even after the generous February 2 proposal, Goodenow never even hinted at visiting linkage or caps. It took a meeting between the NHL, NHLPA and mediator on or about February 13 for the NHLPA to mention the possibility of considering cost certainty. This spurred the Niagara Falls meetings between Daly and Saskin on Valentine's Day.

The pro-NHLPA lemmings never look at the fact the February 2 proposal from the NHL had the 50-50 profit sharing component with the threshold to be negotiated. So much for your idea of the owners raking "20-40 M profits annually", it could have been shared with the NHLPA membership. Except even with this HUGE carrot given to the players it was not even enough for Goodenow to shift away from his "cost certainty never stance". Instead he offered up his sheep disguised in wolf's clothing offer with the infamous clause 7 which would have caused losses significantly higher than the previous CBA 24 hours before the deadline to cancel the season. Bettman then responded in kind with less than 24 hours to go by offering the 42.5 no floating-cap and all negative details non-negotiable LETTER. At this point there were no negotiations, they were just exchanging faxed letters through the media because for several solid years the NHLPA refused to negotiate if there was any mention of cap or linkage.

I personally think the new agreement will have a profit sharing component in it even though I have never seen it mentioned by the media to this point. It should only make sense, the NHL got their favorite NHLPA concession... the 24% rollback, there is no way Goodenow does not get the 50-50 profit sharing.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
anon said:
I respect the hockey player that Roenick is, but once again off the ice he looks like a complete fool. He blames everyone but his omnipotent self.

"They could have listened to the players who had an idea of where this was going - myself, (Flyers teammate) Robert Esche, (Calgary Flames captain) Jarome Iginla and (St. Louis Blues defenceman) Chris Pronger," he explained.

That's right, JR. Everyone should have listened to YOU. You were the messiah to this process. For crying out loud, considering the massive damage this process has already done, you the savior decide to take one last kick at everyone? Way to go out of your way to criticize your fellow players, your union leadership and those fans who, heaven forbid, have an opinion and don't blindly worship you and your small group of wise players as gods.

The irony is that he is spoiled and doesn't even realize it. Who but a spoiled brat would actually throw a childish tantrum like this, especially at this stage in the process? I can't believe some people think the league needs more spokesmen like this. We really need more fools?
:handclap:

JR's basic message to the fans. If you don't worship me, then kiss my ass. Don't attend games. Great way to fill the house JR. What an ego!!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The Iconoclast said:
Your school girl adoration of the players is precious! They placed themselves in this situation. As Roenick likes to point out, the players are now doing what is best for the game, because they care about the game. Wow! If it took a year of being locked out to show you how much you cared about the game then that says a lot. The fact that these bozos sat by and watched as the game became ill under an agreement that they apparently knew was bad for the game, well that says they didn't care half as much as they like to promote. If the 700+ NHLPA members never played another game that would fine with me. There are other players dying to take their place and make the millions waiting for them. I'll cheer for my teams no matter who wears the jersey. I've proved that over the past decade in spade. Players come and go, the loyalty to the jersey is all that matters for this fan.

Oh boy I cant wait to watch a bunch of jerseys laying around the ice with nobody inside them. Yes the players messed up thinking they would get a better deal than they did, but they CANT predict the future. People mess up, it happens. It's not schoolgirl adoration for the players, its just common sense. Theres 700 people, some are gonna be jerks, some are gonna be really good guys, just like in REAL LIFE, this is my point. You can rant and rave about "I only cheer for the logo, players come and go," but its the most ridiculous thing I have ever head. I cheer for the team as well, but I also like the players underneath the jersey too, you know, like a real fan watches hockey.

Lanny MacDonald*

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Oh boy I cant wait to watch a bunch of jerseys laying around the ice with nobody inside them. Yes the players messed up thinking they would get a better deal than they did, but they CANT predict the future. People mess up, it happens. It's not schoolgirl adoration for the players, its just common sense. Theres 700 people, some are gonna be jerks, some are gonna be really good guys, just like in REAL LIFE, this is my point. You can rant and rave about "I only cheer for the logo, players come and go," but its the most ridiculous thing I have ever head. I cheer for the team as well, but I also like the players underneath the jersey too, you know, like a real fan watches hockey.

What you fail to admit is that there are 1000's of players out there that would be willing to step in and fill those jerseys. The fact that is lost on you says it all. Go back to fawning over those mental midgets that you coo over so often. It's extremely entertaining in a sick sort of way.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The Iconoclast said:
What you fail to admit is that there are 1000's of players out there that would be willing to step in and fill those jerseys. The fact that is lost on you says it all. Go back to fawning over those mental midgets that you coo over so often. It's extremely entertaining in a sick sort of way.

Yes there are 1000's of players waiting to step in, am I allowed to enjoy watching those players play but not the ones right now? Is it ok to like watching minour league players but not NHL ones? Please set the rules for me so I know what to do from now on.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Hemsky83Shremp44 said:
As for players being greedy and overpaid I don't quite agree. These guys have all been playing since they were 4 years old and gave up their life for something that they love. Is it our fault that they were born with both the talent and and work ethic to be a professional? The money is always being thrown into their face and once it's there no matter who you are you will always want more. Money devaules itself when you have so much so you need more to be happy. If the owners are going to pay it then I have nothing wrong with them taking it. I wouldn't pass it up, you wouldn't pass it up, and the guy a block down wouldn't pass it up. Good for you JR
"....gave up their life for something that they love." Wow! How in the world have they given up their lives? Please explain. I've been playing since I was 4 years old but I cannot possibly see how if I was good enough to make the NHL that I would be giving up my life.

"...money devalues itself when you have so much you need more to be happy." Only if you are greedy, which you are confessing the players to being. Did you not open this post with "As for players being greedy and overpaid I don't quite agree.". Why are you posting against yourself?

"If the owners are going to pay it then I have nothing wrong with them taking it." The owners don't want to pay it, why in the world do you think there is a lockout. And you pro-NHLPA posters keep saying there is nothing wrong with them taking it. Well there is seriously something wrong with the players because they wanted to keep taking something noone was wiling to give them.

The players usually aren't being offered the money... they blackmail the owners to get more than they are being offered. I remember Tkachuk holding out here in Winnipeg and he said he was insulted because the Jets were offering him $200,000 less than he wanted on a multi-million dollar deal. Its called greed, just like you said... wanting more when you have so much. So many "greedy" players over-inflate their self-worth.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
on the boards said:
The guy did went against the NHLPA leadership and members to do an end run to try to save the season, resulting in a lot of grief for his effort from his peers-- not the fans. However, he took on the challenege, and made the effort because he saw the writing on the wall, knew the players were going to lose, the game would suffer and fans would call the players selfish. So what does Roenick do, blasts the fans in a press conference for having the same insight he, Pronger, Esche and Iginla had...priceless!

And it's hard to forget that he reversed his field at the PA meeting, apologized to them and hopped back on board. So his "convictions" swayed substantially.

Pucker up, jealous fans, JR has spoken. :shakehead

The only thing Roenick is King of in the NHL is making apologies .. to his team, his coach, his owners, etc

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

cleduc said:
And it's hard to forget that he reversed his field at the PA meeting, apologized to them and hopped back on board. So his "convictions" swayed substantially.

Purcker up, jealous fans, JR has spoken. :shakehead

The only thing Roenick is King of in the NHL is making apologies .. to his team, his coach, his owners, etc
Not to mention that he reversed himself in the same press conference. First he says the next step is to make the fans "win", then he tells those same fans (or at least the 80% of fans who supported the owners) to kiss his rump.

I actually don't get people saying Roenick speaks his mind. Look at the above contradiction. THe first part about the fans is pure "talking points" that the PA has probably instructed players to say. The second is probably what he actually thinks, particularly given the conviction with which I watched him speak them.

Roenick does NOT say what is on his mind. He is NOT a "straight shooter". He just as often spouts off the same sound bites he is fed to say; witness his unequivocal support of the cap early on. It just so happens he is a sufficiently oblivious numbnuts to blurt out his true feelings form time to time as well -purely involuntary, I would warrant.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
Luc Labelle said:
"....gave up their life for something that they love." Wow! How in the world have they given up their lives? Please explain. I've been playing since I was 4 years old but I cannot possibly see how if I was good enough to make the NHL that I would be giving up my life.
I have been playing since I was four as well. It's a huge risk. I've played with enough people in my life who are borderline cases who have a shot and making the NHL. They dedicate their lives giving up on all the things a "normal kid" does to try and reach their dream. When their friends are out at parties or the bar they are at the gym. Just couldn't quite cut it. Stuck in the dub just not quite good enough. Didn't have a backup plan because they were cocky and now have nothing. I guess it just sorta hits close to home and that may be why I feel this way.

"...money devalues itself when you have so much you need more to be happy." Only if you are greedy, which you are confessing the players to being. Did you not open this post with "As for players being greedy and overpaid I don't quite agree.". Why are you posting against yourself?
I wouldn't so much call it greed because when the Rangers and Leafs and Blues are overpaying their "stars" (i.e. Holik and Weight) the better players just want what they see as "fair" for their talent. You wouldn't be kinda pissed off if someone you were clearly better than doing the exact same thing as you was making more money? However once again I still see your point.

"If the owners are going to pay it then I have nothing wrong with them taking it." The owners don't want to pay it, why in the world do you think there is a lockout. And you pro-NHLPA posters keep saying there is nothing wrong with them taking it. Well there is seriously something wrong with the players because they wanted to keep taking something noone was wiling to give them.

The players usually aren't being offered the money... they blackmail the owners to get more than they are being offered. I remember Tkachuk holding out here in Winnipeg and he said he was insulted because the Jets were offering him $200,000 less than he wanted on a multi-million dollar deal. Its called greed, just like you said... wanting more when you have so much. So many "greedy" players over-inflate their self-worth.
I am definatly not pro-NHLPA, I personally don't have a side. However there are aspects I agree with each side about. The owners dug themselves this hole. If you don't go out and sign Holik for 10 mil/year we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm guessing Holik black mailed Sather into paying him that much? Don't think so....If another company wanted me to come to work for them for an extra $5/hour I would be all over it, and you would too. As for the players who hold out for an extra 3 million they can "kiss my ***" .

chiavsfan

I just watched the ROenick interview again...and all I have to say is this. Hey JR...there are about a quarter of the fans left from when you entered the league. By taking issue with, them you just abandoned the people who pay your salary. And if you don't want those fans back, then no one will be around to pay your "game" life. Why don't I bend over, and you can kiss my a$$ now

ResidentAlien*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Sometimes i can't keep up with the pace of posting. Seriously, unless you are a left coaster, you need to get some sleep.

Roenick has precisely dick to do with why i am here. I am pleased to see that my posts are being read by all-knowing seers who can divine my very thoughts ... :shakehead

Whether he is in it for the money is hardly the point. I am a grown man, son. I know exactly how the world turns. I certainly don't need to read a lecture spouting such triteness as "they are all in it for the money". Please. No **** sherlock.

I was commenting on the guy's apparent cluelessness and lack of values such as gratitude and humility. I have no hero-worship fixation on pro athletes as you apparently do. There are some hockey players who show some character that I think would be interesting people to meet. Roenick does not number among them.

As for turning Roenick down to wash my car (not an elderly Prelude I assure you), yep I would. He is an idiot. Roenick would be an idiot if he was making eight bucks an hour at Walmart.

Get over yourself with your little lecture. i do enjoy your posts from time to time but you are off base here.

Thanks for the lecture Dad :bow:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Iconoclast said:
Just another delusional punk who has not yet tasted the real world. His day will come, and it will be entertaining to see him in 10 years, probably very much like Bobby Hull (a drunk and shadow of his former greatness).

That's lovely. Nice to see you almost wanting to see his life turn to **** after he retires.

How nice of you.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
"Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game ... they can kiss my ass"

People have already been kissing this guys ass for years. He acts like a total jagoff 100% the time, and people worship the ground he walks on. If this was Tie Domi saying this, he'd be universally condemned to hell.

He's a moron. I wish more people could see it that way.

GG#60

Feb 12, 2004
"..if you don't realize that, don't come ... we don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, period."
wow...he tells the fans to stay at home, this is just stupid.
And I guess he believes all the fans should thank the players on their knees for their kindness of coming back to play or what

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
slats432 said:
I can just feel the love for JR in this thread. :)

i bet you anything JR is one of those players who reads blogs & forums like this too :)

thats the only reason i can think of why he was so pissed off about people saying players are spoiled

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I love how Roenick tries to make it seem like the players are actually sacrificing something here. What an idiot. In the grand scheme of things, these players are still living a life 100X more luxurious than 99.9% of the world's population. Wow, I'm so sorry for calling the players greedy! How heartbreaking. It's like having to have sex with Pamela Anderson for only 10 minutes instead of 15. Poor souls.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
after my shock and anger have passed as a fan hearing what JR said, and have listened to Sportbash on ESPNradio on the way home and turned on "Pardon The Interruption" on ESPN tonight........JR has put HOCKEY front and center on the US sports media radar....they are talking hockey, BIG TIME, for the first time in months. You may say...for all the wrong reasons...and you'd be right.....but they are talking freaking hockey again....do you get it?

After a year of the silent treatment.....JR runs his mouth...says some reasonable stuff, followed by the outlandish "fans kiss my ass".....the national radio sports guys get their "hot soundbite"......talk about it....they have Ference and Roloson on Sportbash and they comment on the CBA..life without hockey....their passion...fans call in..and we are off.

Briliant I say....brilliant.......hockey needs a lightening rod right now to get the casual fan engaged again.....and JR...I thank you for it..... :clap:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
yup

thank goodness for the information minister.

Otherwise, wed be in the dark about everything!

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
jericholic19 said:
I don't, however agree with Roenick's assessment that they could have signed a better deal in February. How useful is a 42.5 M cap if there's no floor and no mechanisms for inflation that the NHL proposed? That 42.5 M cap figure would rarely be reached if there's no salary arbitration, 110% QOs, or lowered UFA age. Moreover, with no floor, the teams could offer the players whatever they wish since the players would have no leverage. The mid ranked NHLers totally get screwed.

I guess you don't know much about Mr. Roenick....

Why would he care what the cap is going to be like in a couple of years?

- He's a concussion away from retiring, and if he manages to hang around more than 2 years, he's going to be making 'relative' peanuts at that point

- Do you think he honestly cares about inflation mechanisms for the young players?

- Do you think he cares about the mid-ranked NHLers?

He's just pissed he threw away $7.5 (or more) last year, and now if the Flyers keep him, he's losing 28% or more of this years salary. He's also probably pissed that he wasn't able to do lame commercials with Anson Carter & make more money. Guess he shouldn't have gambled away all that money :teach:

ResidentAlien*

handtrick said:
after my shock and anger have passed as a fan hearing what JR said, and have listened to Sportbash on ESPNradio on the way home and turned on "Pardon The Interruption" on ESPN tonight........JR has put HOCKEY front and center on the US sports media radar....they are talking hockey, BIG TIME, for the first time in months. You may say...for all the wrong reasons...and you'd be right.....but they are talking freaking hockey again....do you get it?

After a year of the silent treatment.....JR runs his mouth...says some reasonable stuff, followed by the outlandish "fans kiss my ass".....the national radio sports guys get their "hot soundbite"......talk about it....they have Ference and Roloson on Sportbash and they comment on the CBA..life without hockey....their passion...fans call in..and we are off.

Briliant I say....brilliant.......hockey needs a lightening rod right now to get the casual fan engaged again.....and JR...I thank you for it..... :clap:
I was thinking the same thing earlier today...but then I havent agreed with this JR bashing since the beginning. I think the guy loves the game and is good for it. And if you dont agree with me..well you can kiss my gluteous maximus too
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->