The King (Jeremy Roenick) speaks one more time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Roenick, one of my favourite players, and one of the greatest American players (IMO) speaks one last time about the lockout...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050625_213504_5688

I know most of what he says is widely known around here, but it's still a good read with some new quotes.

Jeremy Roenick's curse-filled diatribe on the lockout, rule changes and what he thinks of fans will undoubtedly be the summer's hottest soundtrack.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I've got to disagree with Roenick here, players are spoiled and they showed their arse throughout this lockout, their are no ifs ands or buts about that, and he can kiss my @$$

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Wow, some veiled shots at the Union leadership.....most likely aimed at Goodenow in particular. While he is a loud mouth, he makes sense. I remember seeing him on ESPN (half in the bag I believe) stating they would agree to the *right* cap. Now their hands are being forced. That isnt the NHL's fault, it is the fault of their leadership whose bluff was called.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
I would disagree too. Some players are spoiled, they get paid too much and they deserve having their salaries cut. On another note, now he's saying it might be signed in 3 weeks? Didn't he just say a deal was done? Shut up Roenick, and stop complaining. I am going to be happy when all this is done, and all the complaining is done.

But I do agree the leaders are the ones that are making the players look like idiots. They could have agreed to the NHL's offer in February. But no, Goodenow didn't want it. He should definately be fired after this is done.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
The quote of the lockout:

"If we (the NHLPA) woulda signed that deal in February, in terms of what we're getting now, we woulda looked like heroes. Right now we look like a bunch of idiots."

Anyone want to search for some past posts for 'toldyaso' purposes.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
gerbilanium said:
The quote of the lockout:

"If we (the NHLPA) woulda signed that deal in February, in terms of what we're getting now, we woulda looked like heroes. Right now we look like a bunch of idiots."

Anyone want to search for some past posts for 'toldyaso' purposes.

Couldn't have said it any better..

I distinctly remember back in February when everyone was just laughing at how amazingly stupid the NHLPA was. Saying the exact words "THIS IS THE BEST DEAL YOU ARE GOING TO GET"

I just don't know anymore..

SPARTAKUS*

That's JR at his best and you know what his right. But I disagree that the deal they will sign is that bad for the players. They will still make alot of dough. 54% of a 2 billios industry is not to shaby

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
JR must be wrong. As Messenger and others will tell you, this is all part of Goodenow's strategy. It's only a matter of time before it all comes together.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Does anyone remember which players sent veiled threats at Iginla, Pronger, Roenick and Co. back in February for trying to get that deal done behind the scenes? I thought it was classless then- now it just reeks of stupidity. I'm on the fence as far as being a fan of Roenick, but you've got to appreciate his candor! :handclap:

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky, for being suck asses, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks. Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game ... they can kiss my ass."

Hasn't changed my opinion of him. Nice of him to distance himself from his fellow players when they're down. He's still an attention-seeking, jackass prone to verbal diarrhea as above.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Doesn't change my opinion of him either. He's still one of my favorite players in the league - and as a fan of a team that routinely hated Chicago as the Team of the Devil that's saying something!

The league needs more Roenicks.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I was watching Sportsnet when they showed the clip of him saying this, and Peter Loubardious(sp?) on the SN panel said it good..

He basically said, "We are all spoiled. We are most times lucky to earn 1/100 of what an NHL player earns. And if we are spoiled, they must be. So... A pretty stupid comment."

I'm paraphrasing but it went something like that...

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
And now that I've heard his homily... he can kiss my a$$. He thinksthe players are doing us all a favour by signing this deal. Candid or not, he sounded like a greedy fool.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Get paid too much? For what? Bringing people into the stands? Bringing in money for the owner? Is it 1 players fault for losing an owner money? No

GSC2k2*

Crazy_Ike said:
Doesn't change my opinion of him either. He's still one of my favorite players in the league - and as a fan of a team that routinely hated Chicago as the Team of the Devil that's saying something!

The league needs more Roenicks.
More dooknob idiots who I would not let wash my car, let alone want to know? :dunno:

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
Hahaha, and you all take it so personally. I love it. If you don't like what he says, don't pay to see him play. It's that simple.

Perhaps he just said this because he knows the fans WILL kiss his arse either way. The truth is damn near everyone on these boards, on TSN, in just about every Canadian radio studio, etc. has been insulting these guys. One dinky shot back isn't gonna change what any of you will do when this is over. You'll all watch the guys play and just about all of Philly will still watch Roenick.

GSC2k2*

Battousai said:
Hahaha, and you all take it so personally. I love it. If you don't like what he says, don't pay to see him play. It's that simple.

Perhaps he just said this because he knows the fans WILL kiss his arse either way. The truth is damn near everyone on these boards, on TSN, in just about every Canadian radio studio, etc. has been insulting these guys. One dinky shot back isn't gonna change what any of you will do when this is over. You'll all watch the guys play and just about all of Philly will still watch Roenick.
Well, the joke is on them. None of these guys get any of MY money. I think I have paid for exactly one game, at MLG about 16 or 17 years ago. I bought a ticket in the greys for about $10.

One does not have to "take it personally" to recognize a guy is a goof.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
As a Blues fan, J.R. was a mortal enemy when he was with the Blackhawks, but even then, I had lots of respect for the way he played the game - with intensity.
He has his ego thing, but I'm glad someone in the ranks has the guts to
stand up and say " we blew it".

nickyb

May 5, 2004
Battousai said:

It doesn't really matter if all the fans will go back and enjoy the NHL and still follow it with great intent. That still doesn't take away from the fact that Roenick makes himself look like a classless fool with those juvenile comments. :shakehead

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
nickyb said:
It doesn't really matter if all the fans will go back and enjoy the NHL and still follow it with great intent. That still doesn't take away from the fact that Roenick makes himself look like a classless fool with those juvenile comments. :shakehead

Think of it as one classeless statement in response to a number of stupid comments made by naive hockey fans who only blame the players for all that has transpired. Greedy players this...greedy players that...blah blah blah. If you don't like how much money these players make, don't watch NHL hockey anymore. It's that simple. JR's absolutely right in that regard.

I don't, however agree with Roenick's assessment that they could have signed a better deal in February. How useful is a 42.5 M cap if there's no floor and no mechanisms for inflation that the NHL proposed? That 42.5 M cap figure would rarely be reached if there's no salary arbitration, 110% QOs, or lowered UFA age. Moreover, with no floor, the teams could offer the players whatever they wish since the players would have no leverage. The mid ranked NHLers totally get screwed.

This new deal (as has been discussed by the media) presents an opportunity for the cap figure to rise...perhaps significantly past 42.5 M if league revenues are substantially increased. Moreover, there's a cap floor with luxury tax that ensures the small market clubs get more money and must spend some of it on player costs. Guaranteed contracts and arbitration are also still retained...two of the sacred cows that the league potentially wanted to eliminate in the February deal.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
jericholic19 said:
Think of it as one classeless statement in response to a number of stupid comments made by naive hockey fans who only blame the players for all that has transpired. Greedy players this...greedy players that...blah blah blah. If you don't like how much money these players make, don't watch NHL hockey anymore. It's that simple. JR's absolutely right in that regard.

I don't, however agree with Roenick's assessment that they could have signed a better deal in February. How useful is a 42.5 M cap if there's no floor and no mechanisms for inflation that the NHL proposed? That 42.5 M cap figure would rarely be reached if there's no salary arbitration, 110% QOs, or lowered UFA age. Moreover, with no floor, the teams could offer the players whatever they wish since the players would have no leverage. The mid ranked NHLers totally get screwed.

This new deal (as has been discussed by the media) presents an opportunity for the cap figure to rise...perhaps significantly past 42.5 M if league revenues are substantially increased. Moreover, there's a cap floor with luxury tax that ensures the small market clubs get more money and must spend some of it on player costs. Guaranteed contracts and arbitration are also still retained...two of the sacred cows that the league potentially wanted to eliminate in the February deal.

i think roenick was implying that if they had actually negotiated, chances are they'd have 42.5M ceiling with a 20-24M floor, plus many more other things... imo the earlier they started negotiating, the less concessions the players would have to have made

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
bcrt2000 said:
i think roenick was implying that if they had actually negotiated, chances are they'd have 42.5M ceiling with a 20-24M floor, plus many more other things... imo the earlier they started negotiating, the less concessions the players would have to have made

I don't know dude. Bettman seemed pretty reluctant to give up that 42.5 M cap after promising his expansion teams that the NHL would one day have a 37 M cap (which is what's being discussed between the two at the moment). That February cap figure meant that QOs, entry level contracts, etc...had to be in favour of the owners in order for a deal to get done. I don't think there was much wiggle room for the NHLPA in that case.

The PA's biggest mistake, however, was their refusal to renogiate a new CBA 2 years prior to the lockout. They probably could have got a much better deal then without having to give up an entire season of hockey IMO. But, they had every right to continue with the previous CBA because it had favoured them so much after the owners blew it up. Both sides should be blamed for this lockout...but moreso the owners whose side consist of a few idiots that ruined it all.

BTW, nice avatar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad