The Iron Hook Cometh

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city
How has been his play so far this season? Nothing worthy on the statsheet, no points, +\- 0, maybe 12 minutes per game average.... I'm a big fan of his and not worried but should I? Is he playing well overall?

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
He's injured at the moment. He's looked good. His line has been generating some good chances but they are usually going against the other team's top line. The line should start producing sooner or later.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
still bummed that we gave this guy up. how's he been doing so far? really rooting for him to become a star so it blows up in holland's face

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
still bummed that we gave this guy up. how's he been doing so far? really rooting for him to become a star so it blows up in holland's face

He's not gonna' be a star. He might be a solid #2C. Honestly, I don't see how he ever makes a Detroit lineup and contributes meaningfully - unless he stuck around to see Z and Dats retire. I know you guys are patient in your development but there's a reason he wasn't seeing NHL ice at his age. Heck, we like him, and I'm not sure we're gonna' be skating him when Fish is back.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
He's not gonna' be a star. He might be a solid #2C. Honestly, I don't see how he ever makes a Detroit lineup and contributes meaningfully - unless he stuck around to see Z and Dats retire. I know you guys are patient in your development but there's a reason he wasn't seeing NHL ice at his age. Heck, we like him, and I'm not sure we're gonna' be skating him when Fish is back.
As of now at least, I have to agree. Obviously there is room for him to improve and turn around, I mean look at Ellis this year. However I see him somewhere as a 2/3 center in the NHL. He's not a bad player but not a brilliant player either, so far he has been almost entirely average to the point of being invisible on the ice.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As of now at least, I have to agree. Obviously there is room for him to improve and turn around, I mean look at Ellis this year. However I see him somewhere as a 2/3 center in the NHL. He's not a bad player but not a brilliant player either, so far he has been almost entirely average to the point of being invisible on the ice.

Thing is though is that due to his play or is some of it created by his linemates? I mean lets face it, Jokinen and the other revolving cast of characters on the other side haven't exactly been tearing things up in his absence.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Thing is though is that due to his play or is some of it created by his linemates? I mean lets face it, Jokinen and the other revolving cast of characters on the other side haven't exactly been tearing things up in his absence.
Agreed. I also think he looked really good at the end of last season and produced at a good clip.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014

Me too. But we are the reason why some Wings fans want him to fail. It goes both ways. I hated that trade and still do. And the justification for it was that CJ was going to leave for Europe. Now it's of course he is not that good anyway and Ken Holland knew it all along.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He produced at the end of last year when he was playing a more offensive role, which he absolutely is not this season. In theory if he were playing in the same spots as he was in his games last season who knows if he'd be looked at in a different light or not right now.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I've been watching him and he's hustled well. Especially defensively. If he wasn't on a line with a statue like Olli Jokinen then he'd have quite a few points by now. Shame Stalberg is injured Iron Hook would benefit from his speed on the break.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I've been watching him and he's hustled well. Especially defensively. If he wasn't on a line with a statue like Olli Jokinen then he'd have quite a few points by now. Shame Stalberg is injured Iron Hook would benefit from his speed on the break.
Stalberg played with Jarnkrok some and they both have no points. Jokinen has had more shots on goal than anyone playing on our third line and has set other up for extremely good chances. The points will come and Oli isn't as bad as you think he is.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Stalberg played with Jarnkrok some and they both have no points. Jokinen has had more shots on goal than anyone playing on our third line and has set other up for extremely good chances. The points will come and Oli isn't as bad as you think he is.

If he's not scoring he brings nothing of value to this team as far as I'm concerned. As Lavy would say; he's playing with no jam!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

He needs to replace Roy so he's hooked back up with Smith.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If he's not scoring he brings nothing of value to this team as far as I'm concerned. As Lavy would say; he's playing with no jam!

For a guy with no points, his +/- is 0 so he must be doing something right. That won't last all season but if a guy has played that much time with a 0 plus minus he's playing great defensively and that wears down other teams.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Calle Jarnkrok

Hello, I'm just curious - how does Jarnkrok look for Preds so far? He seemed like a good prospect but his lack of points so far concerns me. What's your opinion? Bust? Or just bad puck luck?

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Jarnkrok has been fine in both ends of the ice. Battles hard for loose pucks in the offensive zone and does ok in the d-zone.

Could make a terrific 2C with capability to step in 1st line in a case of an injury. Hussles a little from time to time and can't always find his linemates, but looks good there either way.

I hope they tried him on the 2nd line already. He's been good so far and would definitely deserve a chance there.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Hello, I'm just curious - how does Jarnkrok look for Preds so far? He seemed like a good prospect but his lack of points so far concerns me. What's your opinion? Bust? Or just bad puck luck?
He's snakebite like the rest of the third line. that whole line has become adept at hitting posts, missing open nets, and other unfortunate plays.

Update he got an assist on the GWG tonight. He made that play happen by drawing the defenders to him and made a great pass to Smith

Last edited:

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
BTW, in the past few games Calle really seems to have improved in the dot. He dominated at St. Louis I think (no small feat). I feel the points will be coming.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
BTW, in the past few games Calle really seems to have improved in the dot. He dominated at St. Louis I think (no small feat). I feel the points will be coming.

Coincidentally that's the same time he was paired with Smith. Lavy made line changes in the 2nd period of the St. Louis game and paired him with Smith. Not saying Smith controls Jarnkrok's faceoffs but maybe it gave him a confidence boost.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Coincidentally that's the same time he was paired with Smith. Lavy made line changes in the 2nd period of the St. Louis game and paired him with Smith. Not saying Smith controls Jarnkrok's faceoffs but maybe it gave him a confidence boost.

I think you're on to something here. Wingers absolutely can effect a center's face off stats. If the centers are battling for the puck on the drop it's the winger's job to step in and help control the puck. It often gets over looked that face-off stats are not purely an individual stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad