The Iron Hook Cometh

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Thought I heard this wrong on the post game show last night, but I went back and checked:

Preds are 21-4-4 with Jarnkrok in the lineup.

Well considering he played the last 12 last season, then this season's early success, that makes sense. The real question is how much of a trend/coincidence is that.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Well considering he played the last 12 last season, then this season's early success, that makes sense. The real question is how much of a trend/coincidence is that.

Probably a lot, but that's still pretty cool :yo:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I know he's not putting up a ton of points, but I think he's playing a key role in the emergence of Smith\Wilson as an effective second line. If not for the post he seems to hit a game, he'd have a few more goals to show for it as well.

Not to mention his contributions to the PK and his faceoff ability.

When Cullen gets healthy, hard to see a continued spot in the lineup for Olli Jokinen.

NoFncyName

Nov 30, 2014
On pace for 16 points nearly 1/3 of the season done. here did the magic go? While theres still hope for him to turn this around did Ken Holland know something we don't? Two bad gaff's last night. This may be a match up thing. Ay need to move him down a line put Wilson back at center and roll Cullen to that line. Hook needs to put up points he remains a integral part of the future. He has been developed no reason to send the guy down unless forced to but skating fast does not help the team.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
On pace for 16 points nearly 1/3 of the season done. here did the magic go? While theres still hope for him to turn this around did Ken Holland know something we don't? Two bad gaff's last night. This may be a match up thing. Ay need to move him down a line put Wilson back at center and roll Cullen to that line. Hook needs to put up points he remains a integral part of the future. He has been developed no reason to send the guy down unless forced to but skating fast does not help the team.
Until a couple weeks ago he was playing on the 3rd line which is completely defensive. Now he's playing more of an offensive role and he's been fine IMO. All of his points have come in the last 9 games.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think overall he's fit in well on that second line, and I wouldn't change it, especially given the way the line was struggling prior to being put together in its current iteration.

He's good good speed, is hard on the puck, draws coverage...the mistakes will smooth out over time.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think overall he's fit in well on that second line, and I wouldn't change it, especially given the way the line was struggling prior to being put together in its current iteration.

He's good good speed, is hard on the puck, draws coverage...the mistakes will smooth out over time.
Needs to produce more though. It may be true that he is creating plays that are not showing in his stats, but are for Smith and Wilson, but we need more from him than the 20 point pace he's on. Even with the second line looking pretty solid over the last stretch, he only has 2p in 7g since the Toronto game (where basically everyone put up points). That's just not going to get it done over the long haul. If it doesn't improve, you have to drop him down for Fisher.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Kind of contradicting if you're talking about results and suggest moving up Fisher. I know he just got back, but he's not showing me why he should move off the third line where his style of play is perfect.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Kind of contradicting if you're talking about results and suggest moving up Fisher. I know he just got back, but he's not showing me why he should move off the third line where his style of play is perfect.
Not really. Even if you're going to hold me to a 4 game sample size for a guy that has been our first line center for the past 2 years, he's producing at the same rate as Jarnkork while playing with lesser linemates.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Needs to produce more though. It may be true that he is creating plays that are not showing in his stats, but are for Smith and Wilson, but we need more from him than the 20 point pace he's on. Even with the second line looking pretty solid over the last stretch, he only has 2p in 7g since the Toronto game (where basically everyone put up points). That's just not going to get it done over the long haul. If it doesn't improve, you have to drop him down for Fisher.

If you don't play him on that line, but play him on the 3rd line with Jokinen instead, you might as well send him to Milwaukee. Jokinen just drags everyone's performance down with him.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If you don't play him on that line, but play him on the 3rd line with Jokinen instead, you might as well send him to Milwaukee. Jokinen just drags everyone's performance down with him.

If Jarnkrok isn't producing, then it doesn't really matter who's on the line he isn't producing with. Wasting Fisher's production isn't any more acceptable.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If Jarnkrok isn't producing, then it doesn't really matter who's on the line he isn't producing with. Wasting Fisher's production isn't any more acceptable.

Not sure if Fisher will produce anymore than Jarnkrok. What will help Fisher is to get rid of Jokinen. Like someone else said in another thread, any group that Jokinen has played with this season has struggled offensively.

The fact is Wilson and Smith really weren't contributing much until Jarnkrok was put on that line with them. Whether Jarnkrok gets an assist on their goals shouldn't be the issue here, but the fact that the line has gotten pretty hot lately ever since its creation should be. Why risk messing that up when you can first try to fix the glaring black hole that is Jokinen.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
But that second line is producing. I understand it's not translating into the stats, but until that line goes cold, I don't see a reason to reshuffle. Now I do agree with getting Ollie out of the third line for Beck or Roy when he's back.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well, it's not worth perpetuating the argument. I think Fisher is still the better option at this point, but won't complain a bit if Jarnkrok proves to ultimately be successful in the role. If he is effective, the points will show eventually.

Saul Goodman66*

Is he a flight risk anytime soon? Not familiar with his contract status.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is he a flight risk anytime soon? Not familiar with his contract status.

After this season I think he could opt to go back but I don't think he will. We gave him what he wanted, a chance to play every day in the NHL.

I think most of those statements were basically him getting tired of sitting in the AHL with Detroit, with no real sign of getting to move up. I think it was probably more him thinking out loud with the idea that if he was playing in a secondary league he might as well go back home where he would make more money.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Both Jarnkrok and Lavi seem happy at the moment. I really don't think he'd pick up anything playing anywhere other than the NHL. Overall, I hope he becomes one of the better 3rd line centers in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad