'The Great Dane' - Freddy Andersen Appreciation Thread

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
crazy how fast his numbers fell in line with last years', good for him. Hope we see another vezina type streak like he had through the middle of last season

Heh yeah, seems like it was just the other day when his SV% was below 90. And let's hope we see that vezina type streak begin around the 2nd round of the playoffs this spring.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Heh yeah, seems like it was just the other day when his SV% was below 90. And let's hope we see that vezina type streak begin around the 2nd round of the playoffs this spring.
was honestly expecting like a .905 sv% and slightly above 3 gaa when I looked a few minutes ago

Thats a good point on when to start getting hot

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
was honestly expecting like a .905 sv% and slightly above 3 gaa when I looked a few minutes ago

Thats a good point on when to start getting hot

Yeah I had a similar moment, I think it was after the game Thursday when someone made a post along the lines of " ... and Freddie's SV% is already up to ..." and I thought really? So I looked it up, and after the last game I looked up again and thought wow, close to last years numbers already, holy crap that was a fast turnaround!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Guy is 24th in the league in save percentage (min 5GP). Not going to thank him yet. And he's still 12-6. This team covered for his awful goaltending (and then couldn't even do that until the most recent winning streak) until now.

I am extremely happy that he seems to have found his form, of course!!! I am definitely not rooting for his failure.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Solid above average goalie.

Will always have his share of hot and cold streaks, like every averagish goalie does.

Literally every goalie has hot and cold streaks.

Unless there’s no goalie better than “above average”

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Literally every goalie has hot and cold streaks.

Unless there’s no goalie better than “above average”

True, but the difference between the best and the rest is minimizing those cold streaks.

Even backup goalies - heck, even AHL level goalies - can have hot streaks in the NHL.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
BTW, Freddie is presently 30th in the league (min 200 minutes played) in dSv% (difference between expected and actual sv%), and GSAA (goals saved above average) -- and it shows that he's cost us about a goal netted over the season thus far. Andersen was 13th in the league last year, at 8.58. He's the definition of an average starter, if he can get these awful cold season starts out of his game.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah I had a similar moment, I think it was after the game Thursday when someone made a post along the lines of " ... and Freddie's SV% is already up to ..." and I thought really? So I looked it up, and after the last game I looked up again and thought wow, close to last years numbers already, holy crap that was a fast turnaround!
just needs to keep this shutout streak going for a few more games to get into the Vezina conversation

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I'd agree with this. I don't know why anyone gets emotional when you talk about Andersen.

The numbers showed he was in the Crawford, Talbot, Rinne, Quick, Rask etc tier last year. There is nothing wrong with that and it's a good contract at 5 million. There is nothing wrong with having an above average goalie (10-15th in the league) for 5 million per year and it's better than some of those listed above as well.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Guy is 24th in the league in save percentage (min 5GP). Not going to thank him yet. And he's still 12-6. This team covered for his awful goaltending (and then couldn't even do that until the most recent winning streak) until now.

I am extremely happy that he seems to have found his form, of course!!! I am definitely not rooting for his failure.

I know where you're coming but I still don't think it's fair to rank him with goalies with significantly less games played. I think it would be more useful to compare him with the NHL starters.

Reactions: Kubus

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Will always have his share of hot and cold streaks, like every averagish goalie does.

yeah, did people expect better for pick 30 and a 2nd (cant remember the pick number). An above average starter. People though that package was going to return a top5 goalie in the league?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

At this point the season, 5GP doesn't cut it, not if we're talking about starting goalies. Try 10GP and get back to us.

just needs to keep this shutout streak going for a few more games to get into the Vezina conversation

Don't see that happening but I like the way you think and I guess you never know. Goalies are so ... different, really hard to predict how they'll run from year to year. I have a good feeling about Freddie though, always have. We'll see.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I don't know why anyone gets emotional when you talk about Andersen.

The numbers showed he was in the Crawford, Talbot, Rinne, Quick, Rask etc tier last year. There is nothing wrong with that and it's a good contract at 5 million. There is nothing wrong with having an above average goalie (10-15th in the league) for 5 million per year and it's better than some of those listed above as well.

This is exactly the way I see it. A starting goalie who's 10-15th in the league (and carries a huge workload to boot). I've been dreaming about having a guy like that ever since Belfour left town, now I'm finally living the dream and I'm loving it.

If you can have a dominating goalie, hey that's great. But if the rest of your team is really good then all you really need is a guy that's solid, and doesn't lose more games for you then he wins.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
BTW, Freddie is presently 30th in the league (min 200 minutes played) in dSv% (difference between expected and actual sv%), and GSAA (goals saved above average) -- and it shows that he's cost us about a goal netted over the season thus far. Andersen was 13th in the league last year, at 8.58. He's the definition of an average starter, if he can get these awful cold season starts out of his game.

Not sure that's completely fair.

Of the 33 goalies with 500+ minutes played this year, Freddy ranks 14th with a +0.9dsv%.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not sure that's completely fair.

Of the 33 goalies with 500+ minutes played this year, Freddy ranks 14th with a +0.9dsv%.

Yup. Solid goalie who's numbers show him to be just slightly above average among legit starters.

Playing goal for this team is a tough job that requires mental toughness, probably one of toughest in all of pro sports in that regard considering what a media circus this place is. So far it looks he can deal with it all quite nicely, I hope he keeps it up, in fact, I hope he can be even better!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would just like to say that Andersen is not a "slightly above average goalie". He is a slightly above average proven bonafide starting goalie. I think that's a very important distinction - it's sort of like the difference between an average Dman and an average #1 Dman.

It looks like we have ourselves a good one and I'm more than comfortable going to war with him in our net.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Don't see that happening but I like the way you think and I guess you never know. Goalies are so ... different, really hard to predict how they'll run from year to year. I have a good feeling about Freddie though, always have. We'll see.
I meant that a little tongue-in-cheek, would be awfully unlikely

Agree on Andersen though, even when he's bad he's still big. I think he's plenty good enough to be our starter until we develop a stellar replacement, and goalies usually last a while so I won't be surprised if he's worthy of re-signing at the end of his current contract if Woll/Scott/another draftee aren't ready for the starting job in 3.5 years

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I would just like to say that Andersen is not a "slightly above average goalie". He is a slightly above average proven bonafide starting goalie. I think that's a very important distinction - it's sort of like the difference between an average Dman and an average #1 Dman.

That's the thing with goalies - we have to remember we're arguing about the difference between the top-30 goalies in the world. It's a very high standard. Like if we were talking about the top-30 forwards in the world.

"Above average" goalie also means "borderline top-10 goalie".

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's the thing with goalies - we have to remember we're arguing about the difference between the top-30 goalies in the world. It's a very high standard. Like if we were talking about the top-30 forwards in the world.

"Above average" goalie also means "borderline top-10 goalie".

Well put, that's exactly what I meant to say.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's done a fantastic job improving his play as the season has gone on. Will be interesting to see if he has another cold streak at the start of the next season, maybe he's a guy like Marner who always tends to start off a bit cold/stiff and comes into his own after a couple weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad