The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Scott Darlin8? :sarcasm:

But seriously why did Peters leave him in for all 8?

At this point I think he might be getting fed up with Darling.

Like a 'you put us in this hole, for like the 15th time this season, you climb your way out of it'.

A team can only limit shots and chances so much. You need your goalie to save some.

I still think Darling is a league average starter, but he sure as hell hasn't shown that this season.

If he were facing the shots and chances the Blackhawks give up per game, he'd be rendered a fine layer of goo on the ice.

Reactions: LordKOTL

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
So, it's Toronto. The seats are all sold. Could be at 4 AM. Don't matter to MLSE. Nice for Leaf players, early flight to Columbus for tomorrow's game.

Wasn't it a promotion. Something like 'Kids day'? I feel like I remember a ton of tix being given away via various charities and such.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The boys on Overdrive saying Darling should have been pulled after goal 2, cause it was clear at that point he was off.

EDIT: Odawg saying Carolina should waive with intention of termination, lol. Not likely on 4.5x4, bud.

EDIT2: Odawg now betting the other guys over whether Darling will turn it around. If he does, he owes them all dinner at a nice restaurant. This is good stuff with Lebrun in-studio.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Saw the highlights, 3, maybe 4 of the goals Darling should have had, but my god do the Hurricanes ever suck defensively. Darling made 2-10 bell saves, and immediately after a Leafs player would just bang home the rebound, with no pressure from a Cane near the crease. I'm sure he's lost confidence, and the team isn't playing well in front of him because they may have lost confidence in him. At least he got paid, but I hope he turns it around for his sake.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The boys on Overdrive saying Darling should have been pulled after goal 2, cause it was clear at that point he was off.

EDIT: Odawg saying Carolina should waive with intention of termination, lol. Not likely on 4.5x4, bud.

EDIT2: Odawg now betting the other guys over whether Darling will turn it around. If he does, he owes them all dinner at a nice restaurant. This is good stuff with Lebrun in-studio.

It was good radio even though I think Darling can be an NHL starter. Noodles thinks he is a #2.

They are also not that high on the Canes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Holy shit the Cane’s d was the only thing on the ice worse than Darling. This is what Bobby and I have talked about with their D.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Really wish that Darling could get it together. I absolutely agreed with the decision to keep Crow over Darling, and honestly thought it was a no-brainer, but even I thought that Darling would at least make it so that it'd be up for debate about which was the right move before leaning more in favor of Crow even with the bigger cap hit.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
There's still half a season for him to turn it around.

I'm still pretty confident he's a 915-916 SV% guy as a starter.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The blaming of Canes D for Darling issues seems a stretch

His rebound control has always been an issue even here in Chicago

You are misinterpreting what people are saying.

Darling has not been good but while the Canes limit chances they give up some ones where the goalie has little to no chance. Today was a perfect example of that. High danger chance are a broad stat but there is no way to grade chances in more detail at this point.

Let me simplify it more (not state in an insulting manner) Darling’s issues are his own as his fundamentals and mental focus have been lackluster but the Canes don’t do him any favors. I would think that if a goalie had choice between playing for the Hawks or Canes, the goalie would choose the Hawks even though the Canes are “statistically” superior.

In regards to rebound control, Darling’s big rebounds fit better with the Hawks because they front more instead of physically engaging people in front of the net. This is another factor impacting Darling.

JD - Do you know where Kelly sources his data. Rebounds in the past were tracked in a weird way and I am curious to the calculation methodology.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You are misinterpreting what people are saying.

Darling has not been good but while the Canes limit chances they give up some ones where the goalie has little to no chance. Today was a perfect example of that. High danger chance are a broad stat but there is no way to grade chances in more detail at this point.

Let me simplify it more (not state in an insulting manner) Darling’s issues are his own as his fundamentals and mental focus have been lackluster but the Canes don’t do him any favors. I would think that if a goalie had choice between playing for the Hawks or Canes, the goalie would choose the Hawks even though the Canes are “statistically” superior.

In regards to rebound control, Darling’s big rebounds fit better with the Hawks because they front more instead of physically engaging people in front of the net. This is another factor impacting Darling.

JD - Do you know where Kelly sources his data. Rebounds in the past were tracked in a weird way and I am curious to the calculation methodology.

Not off-hand. I know rebound goals (as well as deflections, etc) are factored into corsica.hockey's expected goals model (xG), but I don't think they list the raw numbers for rebounds given up or rebound goals allowed.

I'd bet Sportlogiq provides such data in their packages, and most of the Canadian sports media (as well as a lot of hockey teams, across many levels) pay for their tracking. As a TSN guy, Kelly probably has access to that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not off-hand. I know rebound goals (as well as deflections, etc) are factored into corsica.hockey's expected goals model (xG), but I don't think they list the raw numbers for rebounds given up or rebound goals allowed.

I'd bet Sportlogiq provides such data in their packages, and most of the Canadian sports media (as well as a lot of hockey teams, across many levels) pay for their tracking. As a TSN guy, Kelly probably has access to that.

I am just praying he is not using a number that is any shot that has another shot within 2-3 seconds (yes they tried calculating it this way).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I still can't believe the Canes left Darls in for all 8 goals. Want a sure-fire way to lobotomize a goalie's confidence when he looks to already be lacking it? Leave him in for 8 f***ing goals for no reason other than being a dick.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The blaming of Canes D for Darling issues seems a stretch

His rebound control has always been an issue even here in Chicago

I'm not blaming the Canes D for Darlings play all season (I haven't seen many of their games) But I am absolutely blaming them for what happened in yesterdays game. They were awful (putting it nicely).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why should Darling's confidence be only thing of concern? His teammates and coaches no doubt are tired of dealing with his soft goals and outright horrendous one's this year that seem to happen nightly. Players are only human and no doubt they dread everytime a puck goes his way at this point

I imagine its much like Hawks with Huet in net. Players were just waiting for that back breaking goal that Huey would give up. Once Niemi took over you could see a difference in how they played/reacted in own end

Concerns about Darling's confidence seem to ignore the rest of team especially his D and coach. Watching him give up back breaking and awful goals it seems nightly takes its toll on them as well

Sometimes a goalie needs a game like yesterday with no easy out as does team

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Why should Darling's confidence be only thing of concern? His teammates and coaches no doubt are tired of dealing with his soft goals and outright horrendous one's this year that seem to happen nightly. Players are only human and no doubt they dread everytime a puck goes his way at this point

I imagine its much like Hawks with Huet in net. Players were just waiting for that back breaking goal that Huey would give up. Once Niemi took over you could see a difference in how they played/reacted in own end

Concerns about Darling's confidence seem to ignore the rest of team especially his D and coach. Watching him give up back breaking and awful goals it seems nightly takes its toll on them as well

Sometimes a goalie needs a game like yesterday with no easy out as does team

I don't think anyone said it was.

But that doesn't help your goalie who is already lacking confidence. At least that was my only point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad