Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: "Boat Anchors Serve a Purpose" Edition

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Good: HF Boards still supports an ignore posts capability

Bad: I haven't used it yet

Ugly: Its probably already been used on me...... by more than one member! :biglaugh:

Seriously,

Good: Great game from Lehner, Eichel, Falk, Erod, Larsson, RoR (3rd period),
Entertaining 3rd period. One the Sabres best efforts this season.

Pretty Good: Girgs gave his all out there.
Larsson, Fasching & Wilson best Sabre line in the 2nd period.

Bad: Kane, KO, McCabe, esp...
Not impressed with Reinhart
Pouloit on Eichels wing is not the best fit

Ugly: Poms reduced to bench warming in the OT. I'd prefer him over Kane on the 3 on 3 with Eichel. Jason may have lost a half step but he has solid hockey IQ....

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Watched it a few times again and f*** is Kane stupid. Weak play by Eichel but Kane had a dead battery controller moment and swerves into no-mans land.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Ugh Okposo...the guy is a pylon this year. Not the same player before the concussion, hes looking like Ennis did after his concussion issues. Why is Okposo even out there in OT? I can get Kane a little because of his speed but hes just not a smart player, he threw that puck on net and coughed up possession like he always does.

Housley sucks, Kane sucked, Okposo sucked, McTrash sucked....At least Erod got two goals.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
perhaps lehner has developed a new shootout strategy?

cant be bad at shootouts if you dont get to them (insert Kayode Ewumi meme)

Reactions: DJN21

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Okposo is the new Moulson. Gonna be saddled with this piece of trash for years to come.

ROR is looking slower and slower. Botts needs to move this guy ASAP while he still has value. Or we'll have close to 14 million dollars wasted on two players who are too slow to play in the NHL.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
U: so much cap invested in god awful players. our time on this earth is limited. what a waste.

And we spends hours a week worrying about something as hilarious as sports...and people really let it affect them.

Reactions: valet

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The good

Cleared another 8-12inches from the driveway as well as the pile of heavy ass snow at the end of my drive.

The bad

I know Mr Plow and I are not done. Counting last night, this was just round 3.

The ugly.

The ankle I think I sprained last week is howling in pain.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
They're improving.

Okposo right now is the only Sabre who makes me ball my fist watching him.

I'm happy they found a way to take points off CHI and STL, but it was discouraging how badly they were caved in at ES in both games. Aside from our 4C, this is about the best lineup we can ice, so I was hoping we'd fare better than "mostly eviscerated" at 5-on-5 this weekend.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I will say this. Once the Pittsburgh series was over and the Sabres finally had enough of Moulson. The team has played marginally better.

The effort is there more often than not now.

Now we just have to find a way to get rid of Okposo. Sad really, he was my 2nd favorite player last year.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Reasonably called it a day at 2am after the 2nd...I see we came back througj ERod - hood for him. Watching the GWG makes me cringe. Get rid of the waste Botts. There are too many things in th BU to do GBU...

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Also I see the haters just bashing Kane for that last goal. I see most teams go man to man in 3v3 OT. Senko was Jacks man and he left him. The moment Jack left him Kane was trying to stop to go for cover the 3rd guy on the ice. A split second later it was too late as we are talking about Senko. IMO Eichel should give a verbal to Kane to pass his man on and not just assume Kane will stay to cover his gliding ass. No clue what Housleys instructions for OT coverage are but my guess is this one will go on Eichel in Housleys books. Not that Kane is fully innocent as he clearly failed to read the play early enough but I think it is mostly on Jack as you cant just leave your man on 3v3 OT based on asumption someone will cover for you...but sure lets bash Kane cause thats the easy thing to do. Kane had plenty of other dumb plays though so not really defending him, just dont shelter our superstar when he makes a dumb play just because it gives you an opportunity to put dirt on Kane.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What the hell were Eichel and Kane doing on the OT winner?
Jack thought he's pushing him on the side for the guy behind him and at the same time Kane thought ' holy shit there is a third man coming in, I better go cover there'. They didn't voice anything to each other by the sound of it and the rest is history.

Blessing in disguise: ERod got 2 and Housley has a tendency to reward guys for production. Maybe he slots him on Jack's left wing as an off-side shot meaning Kane and Jack are finally split up? One can hope, but not that it matters that much at this point. We are in another race with Arizona for franchise talent from the draft...Even crappy Ottawa is 5 ahead of us with 2 games in hand and they suck hard...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Also I see the haters just bashing Kane for that last goal. I see most teams go man to man in 3v3 OT. Senko was Jacks man and he left him. The moment Jack left him Kane was trying to stop to go for cover the 3rd guy on the ice. A split second later it was too late as we are talking about Senko. IMO Eichel should give a verbal to Kane to pass his man on and not just assume Kane will stay to cover his gliding ass. No clue what Housleys instructions for OT coverage are but my guess is this one will go on Eichel in Housleys books. Not that Kane is fully innocent as he clearly failed to read the play early enough but I think it is mostly on Jack as you cant just leave your man on 3v3 OT based on asumption someone will cover for you...but sure lets bash Kane cause thats the easy thing to do. Kane had plenty of other dumb plays though so not really defending him, just dont shelter our superstar when he makes a dumb play just because it gives you an opportunity to put dirt on Kane.

There’s a reason teams have systems. It’s so they know where to be and what to do without having to communicate everything.

Re-watch the play. Eichel and Kane didn’t start even. Eichel was 5-10 feet forward of Kane, and Kane was at LD. That’s a clear check off situation if they are coached that way. Based on Eichel’s comments, it seems so.

There’s about 1 second for any communication to happen which is meaningful. That’s not enough for any sort of talking to sort that situation out. The entire reason for having a system is so players don’t have to talk through everything . Especially in the moments when there’s no time.

Like it or not, that was completely on Kane. He was at LD. Eichel was forward. It’s a switch.

Kane flubbed it. There’s no amount of defending him you can do to change it. All of us who have played/coached hockey know exactly what happened.

There’s at least three of us who coach on this board.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Forcing someone wide to the side is not carte blanche to take your foot off the gas and ease up on skating as you’re square with the league’s most dangerous forward. He played it perfectly and then he eased up.

Especially in 3 on 3 play, I’d rather see it played in a stride for stride situation and assume the upped risk of Tank cutting back or stopping/moving inside. At that point, he’d be going to where the traffic is, with a guy sealing his angle to the net (Eichel) by heading near post.

I’ll watch it again later this afternoon, but...a lot of our problems are a result of someone thinking “someone else will do it,” and right or wrong, it burned us again. Plenty of blame to go around with the OT goal.

BUT

If you don’t see a much better team since eRod and Wilson, you’re not watching closely enough. I understand we got pretty washed at ES, but with what we saw for a while during that infamous memorable stretch, we have to appreciate the fact that we are absolutely fighting more and battling harder— I’m trying to nicely say that we look like we are putting forth the effort it takes to win.

Eichel is skating hard. Backchecking and not pouting at all (I credit that to Brandon and the Pats tickets)... notably better

ERod is a gamer who can play to fit his linemates, which I adore. His feet do. Not. Stop. And that can be contagious.

Scandella continues to be a steadying presence.

Lehner has played better.

It has certainly been an improvement from that disasterpiece epoch that we are out of.

Spew:

- McCabe is playing terrible hockey right now

- Kane had a brutal game

- just because I remember it off hand and can reference it as it applies to the game in totality: 14 mins left in the third, puck swung to McCabe on the weak side as we regrouped at the top of our D zone. The seas parted and he * GASP * skated up through the open Ice to try and pace the rush and let us peek at semi-Preds transition hockey

Antipin was the only one doing it with any regularity in other games, and I need more of it. If teams want to back off at times because they think our forwards suck and they’re able to, let’s start to pick them apart more. Use THOSE opportunities to be a bit more methodical with our entries or our placements with dump ins, which we have issues with in all situations.

- we have to address two other, prominent and lingering problems: the losing of every foot race to a loose puck, and the inability to connect tape to tape on short, simple passes... the former has gotten a bit better as the effort has improved, but with that I now see that the lack of intelligence is also hindering our cause. Poor placement of stick if you arrive a step behind or at the same time... peeling the wrong way when you concede and try to read where they’re going with it... hoping we can work out of that as things look to settle in across the board. One step at a time, I guess

The passing irks me. If it’s not a short pass in someone’s feet, it’s a long pass with low success rate that needs eyes and wings and invisibility cloaks to arrive to its intended recipient. We have to improve our passing. And stop saucing every f***ing pass. Please! Use it when it’s called for. That’s it.

- the defenseman that lives deep down inside of me beneath my cloaks of neutrality and veils of coach trash wants to scream something about Lehner and his rebounds, and how if you’re a Sabre dman you’re thinking in the back of your mind that any shot on goal can be a potential disaster even if it’s stopped and simultaneously non threatening at release... breathe...

But I don’t want to fight with everyone. Several other things to focus on that are more problematic than your goalie who has saved like 95 of the last 100 shots he has faced.

(It’s still annoying to have such a little amount of confidence in what’s back there)

Sorry. I won’t. Certainly not the time :D

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Bashing Kane isn’t the easy thing to do.

He’s a low hockey IQ player.

So is Bogosian.

Seeing it on the ice is the easy thing. Especially when you take your agenda goggles off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad