Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: "Boat Anchors Serve a Purpose" Edition

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Ugh Okposo...the guy is a pylon this year. Not the same player before the concussion, hes looking like Ennis did after his concussion issues. Why is Okposo even out there in OT? I can get Kane a little because of his speed but hes just not a smart player, he threw that puck on net and coughed up possession like he always does.

Housley sucks, Kane sucked, Okposo sucked, McTrash sucked....At least Erod got two goals.

I said it in the last GBU and got crap for it because of his great Corsi number. He is just awful this year. No battle whatsoever. Something is wrong or he has given up on the game, but he is a major liability on this team right now.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Bad: I fell asleep before the LW shake up. Can anyone summarize what that was?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
There’s a reason teams have systems. It’s so they know where to be and what to do without having to communicate everything.

Re-watch the play. Eichel and Kane didn’t start even. Eichel was 5-10 feet forward of Kane, and Kane was at LD. That’s a clear check off situation if they are coached that way. Based on Eichel’s comments, it seems so.

There’s about 1 second for any communication to happen which is meaningful. That’s not enough for any sort of talking to sort that situation out. The entire reason for having a system is so players don’t have to talk through everything . Especially in the moments when there’s no time.

Like it or not, that was completely on Kane. He was at LD. Eichel was forward. It’s a switch.

Kane flubbed it. There’s no amount of defending him you can do to change it. All of us who have played/coached hockey know exactly what happened.

There’s at least three of us who coach on this board.
Pretty sure that's not how 3on3 is being played in the NHL on a normal basis. No idea what coaching you are on about. I listened to Housley to see if he will make it clear what the coaching instructions in this situation are and he blamed it on miscommunication. But I guess you know better. Stop pretending to know how everything happens and should happen. Most 3on3 in the NHL is man to man cover in that area of the ice (O-zone entry by the opposition). Tarasenko caught them switching between zone formation to Kane going man to man which is what normally happens based on what I have seen in the NHl not just from Buffalo, but other teams. The problem is Eichel thought they are still in zonal so there is clear misunderstanding and very tight margins (like literally milliseconds). And I don't know wh's error it was. Unless Housley comes out and says precisely what coaching instructions are for that particular case 3on3, then I am not assigning blame to either player. But since you know it all, feel free to do so. Just don't expect me to take it seriously just cause you are "coaching". There's plenty of incompetent fools out there coaching, doesn't mean I have to value everyone's opinion. Unfortunately, the Buffalo media did not ask the right question in this case which is infuriating, they literally had one job and let Housley take the blame off either player by saying it was miscommunication....

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
And we spends hours a week worrying about something as hilarious as sports...and people really let it affect them.

Many fans have an emotional investment to sports. I’ve tried over the last few years to not allow negative results to impact my life in a poor way, but it happens sometimes.

It’s poor taste to criticize a fan to be upset that we suck. We all have different levels of emotional support :)

I’ve really liked ERod since he was brought up. He’s developed as a really nice 3rd liner who can provide scoring, PK, and fill in on the second unit PP. Good teams have 2-3 players like ERod. Let’s find / develop another.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Many fans have an emotional investment to sports. I’ve tried over the last few years to not allow negative results to impact my life in a poor way, but it happens sometimes.

It’s poor taste to criticize a fan to be upset that we suck. We all have different levels of emotional support :)

I’ve really liked ERod since he was brought up. He’s developed as a really nice 3rd liner who can provide scoring, PK, and fill in on the second unit PP. Good teams have 2-3 players like ERod. Let’s find / develop another.
And let's not lose him to Seattle.

Also let's not demote and scratch him for no reason.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What exactly are people's expectations of ROR? I've lost the narrative on this. Apparently it's just good enough if he isn't on the ice for a GA.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- a point
- ERod had a good week
- Falk & Gorges doing defenseman things

letting go of bad & ugly until new years. players are starting to realize something, not sure what exactly. may be pride. maybe remembered those NHL dreams they had as kids with the holidays coming up; actually might be dread of christmas parties.

drunk family can say the most brutal things by accident.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Ugly:
- That second GA. Ugh. That was so embarrassingly bad. It's like no one on our team even knew where the puck was, and the Blues were just running around taking wide open shots at the net.
- Kane to start OT. He got the puck at the end of the shift with two Blues in front of him and his two teammates next to and behind him. It was at that moment I knew he was going to skate down the wing and take a terrible shot at the net. We didn't regain possession again for another shift after that.

I'm at that point now. I don't care if he scores, get this guy of the team.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pretty sure that's not how 3on3 is being played in the NHL on a normal basis. No idea what coaching you are on about. I listened to Housley to see if he will make it clear what the coaching instructions in this situation are and he blamed it on miscommunication. But I guess you know better. Stop pretending to know how everything happens and should happen. Most 3on3 in the NHL is man to man cover in that area of the ice (O-zone entry by the opposition). Tarasenko caught them switching between zone formation to Kane going man to man which is what normally happens based on what I have seen in the NHl not just from Buffalo, but other teams. The problem is Eichel thought they are still in zonal so there is clear misunderstanding and very tight margins (like literally milliseconds). And I don't know wh's error it was. Unless Housley comes out and says precisely what coaching instructions are for that particular case 3on3, then I am not assigning blame to either player. But since you know it all, feel free to do so. Just don't expect me to take it seriously just cause you are "coaching". There's plenty of incompetent fools out there coaching, doesn't mean I have to value everyone's opinion. Unfortunately, the Buffalo media did not ask the right question in this case which is infuriating, they literally had one job and let Housley take the blame off either player by saying it was miscommunication....

wrong.
But nice try.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Smith

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Pouliot moved to Kane's spot on Jack's LW, Girgensons went to RoR's LW, Kane went to LW with Rodrigues, Wilson went to LW with Larsson.

Did it look much better like I had been claiming it would? Rodrigues needs to be a LW, not a center. I wish Girgensons could jump down to 3C with Kane.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did it look much better like I had been claiming it would? Rodrigues needs to be a LW, not a center. I wish Girgensons could jump down to 3C with Kane.

It was as though the parts all fit suddenly, even if Pouliot is still a little wonky on Jack's LW (though some of that might have been him bashing his face off the boards on one of his first shifts in the new configuration), but the rest? Holy jeez did it look like they knew what to do and could do it. Girgensons did make one iffy pass with ROR so I'm sure that will lead to demotion back to the pressbox. :biglaugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What exactly are people's expectations of ROR? I've lost the narrative on this. Apparently it's just good enough if he isn't on the ice for a GA.

He was part of the problem last night - I didn't care for his game overall. He couldn't pass the puck to save his life at the top of the noticeable things wrong, but it was a highly forgettable performance overall.

Reactions: jBuds

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'd like to see someone other than Kane out there with Eichel in OT.
The ugliest thing for me was the bad puck luck on all three goals against.

I think they need to get Jobu some rum and cigars.

That's just probability when you have 45 shots.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Let's see ERod scores both goals, but doesn't sniff the ice in OT. Not sure what Housley is up to there.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
ROR was looking for a Tim Horton's logo to crash into all game.

Erod got an OT shift with Okposo but that doesn't really count given how useless Okposo is..like hey lets put the slowest skater on the team who is also struggling out there for a 3 on 3. Housley is an idiot.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I know it's been discussed to ad nauseum around here but why the constant need to force Kane and Eichel together. I get they are both fast. I get that they're trying to maximize Kane's trade value. I also get that 3v3 they are huge liability defensively. I just don't get what's so hard about getting a coach who's head isn't up his ass.

Or just trade Kane before he does something stupid or gets hurt.

So many things wrong with this organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad