OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I do that all the time. I have read Asimov's Foundation series at least 3 times, Rendezvous with Rama twice, I read the Darwin biography I mentioned in an earlier post twice, first in Sweden, then later when I moved to the US after being around religious people in Virginia for 3 years I needed some "fresh air", I found the Southern Baptists very hypocritical. I felt very stupid when I went to a dinner and they were saying prayers, I just stared at the food. I have nothing against religious people, live and let live. I have problems when they try to save me or knocking on the door (Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons).

Anyway, back on track. If I really like a book the chance of me re-reading it is pretty good.

I read all the Odyssey's and always wanted to read the rendezvous series.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I'd recommend Galapagos too. It was my first ever Vonnegut book and I was really amazed by his writing. In hindsight, it might not be as good as his other works, and the writing style is a looot more different than his other works, but it's still Vonnegut at his best imo.
Thank you. I will check it out.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I do that all the time. I have read Asimov's Foundation series at least 3 times, Rendezvous with Rama twice, I read the Darwin biography I mentioned in an earlier post twice, first in Sweden, then later when I moved to the US after being around religious people in Virginia for 3 years I needed some "fresh air", I found the Southern Baptists very hypocritical. I felt very stupid when I went to a dinner and they were saying prayers, I just stared at the food. I have nothing against religious people, live and let live. I have problems when they try to save me or knocking on the door (Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons).

Anyway, back on track. If I really like a book the chance of me re-reading it is pretty good.

Curiously I've also read those Asimov and Clarke offerings multiple times.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Curiously I've also read those Asimov and Clarke offerings multiple times.

Great minds and perhaps also great chefs think alike!

:clap:

Tonight I am making chicken filets with lime and sweet Thai chili, served with Laplander mashed potatoes which is almond potatoes from up north (similar to fingerling potatoes but shaped as almonds), creme fraiche, loads of Irish or Danish butter, I can't stand American butter, no taste , chives and parsley and further served with ice cold Perry Cider imported from Sweden. I can speak like the Swedish chef on the Muppet show.

.--,--.
`. ,.'
|___|
:o o:
_`~^~'_
/' ^ `\

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Anyone ever read Chuck Palahniuk's old books? Not the recent ones as he now caters to teen girls... but the old ones like Rant, Lullaby, Choke and and and Fight Club?? Really good dark satire if anyone is into that.

The most recent that i tried to read was Pygmy. Couldn't get into it, for obvious reasons.

I liked Survivor and Lullaby the most. (didn't read Fight Club)

Reactions: Runner77

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll pass.
71AHpgPhDBL.jpg

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Favourite Steinbeck people? I haven't read him since the school classics..any recommendations?
I'm partial to East of Eden personally, Steinbeck himself considered it his very best work. It's kind of intricate though, lots of names and minor characters to keep in mind, a bit like The Brothers Karamazov . You either involve yourself all the way into these types of books or you just avoid them altogether.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm partial to East of Eden personally, Steinbeck himself considered it his best very work. It's kind of intricate though, lots of names and minor characters to keep in mind, a bit like The Brothers Karamazov . You either involve yourself all the way into these types of books or you just avoid them altogether.

While it is not a favorite of mind it is a decent book in my opinion. Maybe it was because it was filmed with James Dean and I saw the movie before I read it I wasn't enthralled? The strongest memory I have from it is when the dad wets a sugar cube with whiskey giving it to one of the toddler boys to stop from screaming while dad played poker, or something like that.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Favourite Steinbeck people? I haven't read him since the school classics..any recommendations?

Of Mice & Men is short, easy read & powerful.

The Winter of our Discontent I really liked. It's an interesting book. If you enjoy books about moral decay & how easy it is to get pulled down into that abyss or the openness & easeness of American political corruption, then you'll enjoy it.

Generally not listed as one of his "great" classical books, but it's also the one that greatly criticizes modern American political corruption & governess in general. Still topical despite being written almost 50 years ago.

The hero can be frustrating & in the end I was conflicted about him because you're not sure of his motives/actions but ultimately it ends perfectly considering all things.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The most recent that i tried to read was Pygmy. Couldn't get into it, for obvious reasons.

I liked Survivor and Lullaby the most. (didn't read Fight Club)

Pygmy was hard to read, but there were some funny bits. Not his best work. Come to think of it, looking back on those CP books which I read 10 to 20 years ago, only Survivor, FC, Lullaby and Rant were really good. The latter two, imo were his best.

I stopped at Damned/doomed, just horrible. Snuff & Choke were funny, but not great. Invisible Monsters wasnt bad, quite rythmic, but still not my cup'o'tea. Haunted and Diary, I hated.

Rant is my favorite. It's overly fantastical and I usually hate a plot device which is based on a simple play of semantics, but that story is one of the most unique pieces of literature I've ever read. I love dystopias and time travel sci-fi's. And mixing this up with a sorta fight club-ish underground car smashing community was such a strange but highly entertaining mix.

Lullaby's social commentary and the main subject of power and corruption was really great. One of my all-time favorite novels.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I've read the first book. It's in the same vein as Catch-22 but I found it easier to read. Haven't read the other 2 books of the series.

I didn't like the movie even though I like all the actors in it.

There are 6 books. The last one I finished was the 4th, So long and thanks for all the fish. The 2nd one I recommend, almost as good as the first one. After that, it gets a bit repetitive.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There are 6 books. The last one I finished was the 4th, So long and thanks for all the fish. The 2nd one I recommend, almost as good as the first one. After that, it gets a bit repetitive.

6! I thought there was only 3. I bought the first 3 books, but only got through the first one completely, which I enjoyed a lot.

The second one I started but never finished. I don't remember why. Never read the 3rd. They were on the top shelf of my bedroom closet for the longest time.

I should dig them out. It's been awhile, like early 90s. I read them during my university years.

Have you read Catch-22?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
6! I thought there was only 3. I bought the first 3 books, but only got through the first one completely, which I enjoyed a lot.

The second one I started but never finished. I don't remember why. Never read the 3rd. They were on the top shelf of my bedroom closet for the longest time.

I should dig them out. It's been awhile, like early 90s. I read them during my university years.

Have you read Catch-22?

Have meant to for a long time. Just never got around to it.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Wow. Mists of Avalon. I read that 30 years ago during a teenaged King Arthur phase. Interesting perspective. Good book.

Hmm, I have seen it among books that I get recommendations for on the Kindle, but I never looked at it because I thought it was romance novel, do I feel stupid!
So you recommend it?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hmm, I have seen it among books that I get recommendations for on the Kindle, but I never looked at it because I thought it was romance novel, do I feel stupid!
So you recommend it?

Romance? No, it's the Arthurian Legend but it looks at it from the women's characters point of view.

There's romance/relationship intrigue in it & a ton of sex, but ultimately it's a fantasy book with war, death, political & religious intrigue. Part of the storyline is the loss of the religion of paganism (represented by Morgaine) to Christianity (represented by Athur's Kingdom) which pits the 2 against each other.

King Arthur is part of the storyline, but
it is Morgaine who is the complex hero/heroine in this book. She is not the evil sorcerous that she is normally written as within the Arthurian Legend. She's complex. Merlin has a small but significant part.

If you like fantasy/Athurian Legends I don't see why you wouldn't like this book.

It is written from the female perspective though & it's really long, but it's not a difficult read.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Romance? No, it's the Arthurian Legend but it looks at it from the women's characters point of view.

There's romance/relationship intrigue in it & a ton of sex, but ultimately it's a fantasy book with war, death, political & religious intrigue. Part of the storyline is the loss of the religion of paganism (represented by Morgaine) to Christianity (represented by Athur's Kingdom) which pits the 2 against each other.

King Arthur is part of the storyline, but
it is Morgaine who is the complex hero/heroine in this book. She is not the evil sorcerous that she is normally written as within the Arthurian Legend. She's complex. Merlin has a small but significant part.

If you like fantasy/Athurian Legends I don't see why you wouldn't like this book.

It is written from the female perspective though & it's really long, but it's not a difficult read.

Thanks for that, sounds like something I might like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad