OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Great thread, top notch. I'm a Russian literature fanatic myself, I've read them all. Chekhov is my absolute favorite, he nails human emotions and gripping stories with brevity. A true master and pioneer of the short story. Read the Idiot a while ago, I agree Crime and Punishment is a better read. I would be remiss in not putting in a word on Tolstoy, Anna Karenina was a treasure although the ending was disappointing. And what is left to say about War and Peace? It's a long. long book but well worth it. Tolstoy makes it very readable; there are multiple story lines happening simultaneously, his chapters are short making it easy to pick up and put down, and there's something for everyone, war strategy, Napoleon, family intrigue, love and religion. Interesting how he conveys how the Russians viewed Tsar Alexander as a God. Anyway I prattle on.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Did someone say the word ''history'' ? That's my bat signal ! :naughty:
Desmond Morton's "A Short History of Canada" is a great starting point. I read it a couple times as a kid, and I think it still holds up.
From there, Pierre Berton is probably the gold standard of Canadian historical non-fiction. Though he tends to write about some older and dustier topics : The National Dream and The Last Spike, Klondike, Vimy, The Invasion of Canada. All very good stuff .
For something fun, I highly recommend a couple graphic novels: Louis Riel by Chester Brown and Essex County by Jeff Lemire. Essex County is more of a culture study than an history book, but great nonetheless .

I got the Short History of Canada, the Arctic Grail (I once read a biography about Franklin), I watched that documentary about finding the Franklin Expedition and I used to sing and play that song (Lord Franklin) when I was a troubadour in my youth, the Pentangle version. I got the Invasion of Canada as well because I like my new homeland to be humbled, especially now.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm not a student of history, so what I appreciate in Mary's work is that she does the business of properly reading historical texts for me. How strange an impression might I have come away with if I had just read Livy, Polybius, and The Conquest of Gaul? She stops every so often to say ''yeah, that's what they said, but here's a few reasons why we believe that's mostly bull****.''

Do you have any specific recommendations for the late/fall of the Republic?

I ordered the SPQR, I know quite a bit about Rome's later history and not so much about the ancient one. I also work with a Roman, he's from Rome and a Roma fanatic. We go sometimes and watch soccer at Piazza Italia a family restaurant downtown Portland where the owner is a Roma fan.

Thanks for all the tips from everyone. :thumbu:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Great thread, top notch. I'm a Russian literature fanatic myself, I've read them all. Chekhov is my absolute favorite, he nails human emotions and gripping stories with brevity. A true master and pioneer of the short story. Read the Idiot a while ago, I agree Crime and Punishment is a better read. I would be remiss in not putting in a word on Tolstoy, Anna Karenina was a treasure although the ending was disappointing. And what is left to say about War and Peace? It's a long. long book but well worth it. Tolstoy makes it very readable; there are multiple story lines happening simultaneously, his chapters are short making it easy to pick up and put down, and there's something for everyone, war strategy, Napoleon, family intrigue, love and religion. Interesting how he conveys how the Russians viewed Tsar Alexander as a God. Anyway I prattle on.

I am Swedish and I know about some Russian history when Sweden was involved and we lost Finland in the Great Northern War (1719-1721), my hometown was attacked and we have a mountain range called the Russian Mountains were a lot of fighting took place and as a boy I used to watch archaeologists digging up Russian soldiers that fell in that war and were put in a mass grave ( I was in third grade). I have read the authors you mention I also like The Master and Margarita. Any tips on Russian history when it comes to the time period from AD up to the 19th century?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Just finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps?', by Philip K. Dick, and I loved it. Short but dense, love the way he writes, you really are into the action, into their heads... at some points, you just get into some maelstrom where you don't really know what's happening then you get out and understand it was a simple thought by a character.

Before that, managed to get into '1984' (George Orwell). Knew his work for a while, just didn't take the time to read this book. I see plots and deception everywhere now. (already did, but it only was amplified, and I love it hahaha)

Read 'Dune' (Frank Herbert) a couple months ago (had it on the shelves for a while before finally deciding to kick in). Damn masterpiece... loved the movie when I was a kid, still love it despite its obvious flaws compared to the book, but the book itself, damn...

Now beginning 'The Last Wish' (Andrzej Sapkowski), The Witcher story from the beginning essentially, got all 7 books of his before christmas, so I'm off to a nice trip.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps?', by Philip K. Dick, and I loved it. Short but dense, love the way he writes, you really are into the action, into their heads... at some points, you just get into some maelstrom where you don't really know what's happening then you get out and understand it was a simple thought by a character.

Before that, managed to get into '1984' (George Orwell). Knew his work for a while, just didn't take the time to read this book. I see plots and deception everywhere now. (already did, but it only was amplified, and I love it hahaha)

Read 'Dune' (Frank Herbert) a couple months ago (had it on the shelves for a while before finally deciding to kick in). Damn masterpiece... loved the movie when I was a kid, still love it despite its obvious flaws compared to the book, but the book itself, damn...

Now beginning 'The Last Wish' (Andrzej Sapkowski), The Witcher story from the beginning essentially, got all 7 books of his before christmas, so I'm off to a nice trip.

We have similar tastes.

You should try Max Barry's Lexicon, and Jennifer Government.

If you liked 1984, you should give Animal Farm a try.

My favorite Kdick is We can remember it for you wholesale (total recall).

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Thanks for your account.

If you had to put them in order of plunging in and getting a great taste, would you advocate going for War and Peace as your very first choice? I'd prefer the novel format, not a fan of the short story genre.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I ordered the SPQR, I know quite a bit about Rome's later history and not so much about the ancient one. I also work with a Roman, he's from Rome and a Roma fanatic. We go sometimes and watch soccer at Piazza Italia a family restaurant downtown Portland where the owner is a Roma fan.

Thanks for all the tips from everyone. :thumbu:

Speaking of Romans, I've once heard that the biography of Julius Caesar was one of the best books ever written. The hitch is, which one? And is the accolade warranted?

And, Sweden is one of my favorite countries, so "underbar" to you, good Sir. ;)

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
VICARS OF CHRIST by Peter de Rosa

Runner saw my post on this book in another thread and asked me to mention it here. Actually, he asked me to review it. I'll try but my reviews suck.

I bought the paperback in the late 80s and have read it 5 times. The last time about 2-3 years ago. It's full of juicy tidbits and salacious stories about the Popes over the centuries. Basically the book's theme is power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. When you read this book about the papacy you'll be convinced of that saying by Acton. HOWEVER:

Peter de Rosa is a former Jesuit. He left the priesthood but still has deep attachments to the church. Despite airing the Papacy's dirty laundry in public, the last third of the book is about Pope John XXIII and the Second Vatican Council. And he writes in glowing terms about that pope. As a former Catholic and an agnostic, I have to agree with him. For me Pope John XXIII is my pope and a great man.

I picked up the book years after I lost my faith. I was an altar boy and at the age of 14 completely turned against the church. At the time I viewed Catholics more or less like Americans view Muslims today. (And no I wasn't molested by any perverted priest.) Reading this book helped me to balance my point of view. The book reveals much that is corrupt and evil in The Church (any church for that matter) but it also reveals why so many good people are still committed to their faiths.

After reading the book I made peace with the church. I realized the problem is not with the Church. The problem is with us. As Solzhenitsyn pointed out, the boundary between good and evil doesn't run between you and me but within all of us.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review it. Your account in the other post, was deserving of more attention and I'm glad you provided the background and perspective you did on this book. Your review is not only excellent but provides a reasoned critique on the subject which is very interesting. Please feel free to contribute more. Nicely done.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I recently finished SPQR. As a self contained popular history of the Roman Kingdom/Republic/Empire I don't see how anyone could do better. If you're interested in the fall of the empire, this book doesn't cover it, but that's another debate on its own. Besides, for me, the more interesting question (and the more germane one to our own times) is the collapse of the Republic.

I was reading a book about the Abbasid empire, but lost interest. Moving on to something else now.

The Roman Revolution by Ronald Syme would be high up there, it's a bit dated now but still essential reading on the subject in my book.
Rubicon by Tom Holland is a great vulgarization of the subject . Holland isn't an historian but he really put in a lot of work and effort.
The death of Caesar by Barry Strauss is great reading material too, he really goes in depth.

I'm intrigued by the fall of the Roman Kingdom/Republic/ Empire. Would you say the above are the best on the subject? Which is the one book you'd start with?

cashinstinct

Cash is King
Jul 2, 2014
For books about

Personal finance
- Wealthing like rabbits (2014)
- Histoires de fric - isabelle ducas (2017) in French

Psychology of money:
- Dollars and sense: how we misthink money and how to spend smarter - dan ariely and jeff kreiser
- Behavior gap (2012) carl richards

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For books about

Personal finance
- Wealthing like rabbits (2014)
- Histoires de fric - isabelle ducas (2017) in French

Psychology of money:
- Dollars and sense: how we misthink money and how to spend smarter - dan ariely and jeff kreiser
- Behavior gap (2012) carl richards

Anyone read Anthony Robbins' book about money?

Reactions: cashinstinct

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Speaking of Romans, I've once heard that the biography of Julius Caesar was one of the best books ever written. The hitch is, which one? And is the accolade warranted?

And, Sweden is one of my favorite countries, so "underbar" to you, good Sir. ;)

Tack så mycket! :)

My favorite Caesar book is Caesar: Life of a Colossus, it's obvious the author is a fan but I really enjoyed it and read the Kindle version in a few days on a vacation to Mexico.

The author is Adrian Goldsworthy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tack så mycket! :)

My favorite Caesar book is Caesar: Life of a Colossus, it's obvious the author is a fan but I really enjoyed it and read the Kindle version in a few days on a vacation to Mexico.

The author is Adrian Goldsworthy.

Yup, that's my ticket ... oh wait, that's not what it means. :laugh: Lemme try again ... Varsågod. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm intrigued by the fall of the Roman Kingdom/Republic/ Empire. Would you say the above are the best on the subject? Which is the one book you'd start with?
The Tom Holland one I mentioned would be a good starting point if you're not too used to reading history books, it's an easy read. It might be a bit hard to find but I've seen it on amazon and a bunch of other places. If you want the more ''hardcore historian'' stuff then go with the Syme one.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Waaait you live in Oregon?

One of my favorite authors grew-up there, Chuck Palahniuk. Read his pseudo-travel guide to Portland called Fugitives & Refugees.

Yes I do. I like the city apart from the useless drivers when it's snowing, I never had a snow day in my life and I doubt Canadians have either apart from the SW coast perhaps. Yes, he's a great author and human being, he used to volunteer a lot downtown when he lived here. I also like Ursula Le Guin who passed away recently, she lived in Portland as well. It's also a great place for food, some really good restaurants and we have a lot of good produce (you can grow anything from blueberries, strawberries etc and even kiwis and peaches) and seafood. It's really fun going for a walk downtown and watch all the people hitting bongs on the street.

:walrus:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes I do. I like the city apart from the useless drivers when it's snowing, I never had a snow day in my life and I doubt Canadians have either apart from the SW coast perhaps. Yes, he's a great author and human being, he used to volunteer a lot downtown when he lived here. I also like Ursula Le Guin who passed away recently, she lived in Portland as well. It's also a great place for food, some really good restaurants and we have a lot of good produce (you can grow anything from blueberries, strawberries etc and even kiwis and peaches) and seafood. It's really fun going for a walk downtown and watch all the people hitting bongs on the street. :walrus:

Portland's winters are supposedly very similar to what we get in the south of Quebec from accounts I've heard.

Did you ever take part in the Portland Cacophony Society?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Portland's winters are supposedly very similar to what we get in the south of Quebec from accounts I've heard.

Did you ever take part in the Portland Cacophony Society?

LOL, no I haven't, sounds interesting. I have taken part in the Naked Bike Ride (as a spectator).

Photos: 2017 Portland World Naked Bike Ride (Warning: Nudity)

The important thing is that you need to apply a selective filter and filter out old guys and gals from your memory :tmi:and only see the female puddings (Swedish expression) :wg:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Thanks for your account.

If you had to put them in order of plunging in and getting a great taste, would you advocate going for War and Peace as your very first choice? I'd prefer the novel format, not a fan of the short story genre.
Well, cheers! I assume you are focusing on Tolstoy, and actually I would recommend his The Death of Ivan Ilych to get your feet wet. It's only 120 pages but it would give a feel for Tolstoy's technique and cadence. His writing style can be verbose and a little tedious at times. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

By the way, I truly envy you as embark on your literary journey. I got into Russian Literature backwards. After college I devoured all things Vladimir Nabokov. I felt I was missing something as his novels constantly refer to the 19th century titans. So I started to read them and the rest is history. Good luck!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
We have similar tastes.

You should try Max Barry's Lexicon, and Jennifer Government.

If you liked 1984, you should give Animal Farm a try.

My favorite Kdick is We can remember it for you wholesale (total recall).

I'll sure check 'em out, thanks !

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, cheers! I assume you are focusing on Tolstoy, and actually I would recommend his The Death of Ivan Ilych to get your feet wet. It's only 120 pages but it would give a feel for Tolstoy's technique and cadence. His writing style can be verbose and a little tedious at times. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

By the way, I truly envy you as embark on your literary journey. I got into Russian Literature backwards. After college I devoured all things Vladimir Nabokov. I felt I was missing something as his novels constantly refer to the 19th century titans. So I started to read them and the rest is history. Good luck!

I apologize, my post wasn't clear. I wasn't specifically looking at Tolstoy, but wanted your recommendations for a good novel to get into Russian literature. It could be Tolstoy or someone else. I'd prefer something faster paced, easier to get into -- I would have less of an inclination to get involved into the overly verbose and tedious style you referred to, lol. Thanks in advance.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

About the end of the roman Republic, Mary Beard mentions

Catherine Steel The End of the Roman Republic 146 to 44 BCE: Conquest and Crisis

Anyone read Anthony Robbins' book about money?

TONY ROBBINS HUNGRY!

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I got the Short History of Canada, the Arctic Grail (I once read a biography about Franklin), I watched that documentary about finding the Franklin Expedition and I used to sing and play that song (Lord Franklin) when I was a troubadour in my youth, the Pentangle version. I got the Invasion of Canada as well because I like my new homeland to be humbled, especially now.
I`ve read a couple of books on Franklin, the one I recommend highly:

"The Man Who Ate His Boots".

Tells the incredible survival story of Franklin in the trip prior to the lost expedition. The man tempted fate again and lost but he was committed to finding the Northwest Passage. Also read "Sir John Franklin and the Arctic Régions" which was written in 1852. There was still some hope at that time that he and his crew may have been alive because of his prior survival.

Another book I recommend "The Ancient Mariner: The Adventures of Samuel Hearne". He made a trek from Hudsons Bay to the Arctic in the 1700`s and wrote a book about it later.

I have a book "A Brief History of Canada" by Roger Riendeau, haven`t read it yet though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad