OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Reading Your guide to the US National Parks because I'm road trippin' this summer.

At the same time reading Bannon: Always the Rebel, by Keith Koffler, and starting to read The Hundred Year Marathon. Just finished Darkest Hour.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Great thread Runner and some great replies.

Watched an old ww2 movie recently and realized I had the book so recently finished "The one that got away", the story of a German pilot who escaped in southern Ontario and made it all the way back to Germany. The movie was completely faithful to the book.

In contrast I remember reading Papillon and there was so much of the book beyond the movie as well as changes to the story. Still a great movie, maybe would have been 4-5 hours if they told the whole story.

Currently reading "He was my chief" by one of Hitler`s secretaries. I`ve read several other books on the topic, but there are so many behind the scènes détails of the inner circle during WW2.

History and biography are my favorite books.

Anyone else into escape stories, would recommend this one, from WW1:

Three Times and Out by Nellie L. McClung and Mervin C. Simmons
Nellie McClung was an amazing woman. I learned about her during research for a production I wrote and fell in love with her brains, courage and humour. I'd never heard about her and nobody I knew from Montreal had either, but she's well-known out west. Interesting to see the educational disconnect in this country.

The story about Hitler's secretary reminds me of the film, Downfall, which was co-written by one of his personal secretaries. That's the film with the famous scene of Hitler foaming at the mouth as he tears into his generals, which has been subtitled into a thousand YouTube memes.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There is a very intersting read for the geek types out there - "The Victorian Internet: The Remarkable Story of the Telegraph and the Nineteenth Century's On-Line Pioneers" by Tom Standage. Self-explanatory.
I'm ordering this. Thanks!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Nellie McClung was an amazing woman. I learned about her during research for a production I wrote and fell in love with her brains, courage and humour. I'd never heard about her and nobody I knew from Montreal had either, but she's well-known out west. Interesting to see the educational disconnect in this country.

The story about Hitler's secretary reminds me of the film, Downfall, which was co-written by one of his personal secretaries. That's the film with the famous scene of Hitler foaming at the mouth as he tears into his generals, which has been subtitled into a thousand YouTube memes.
Concerning Ian Halperin, who's a friend of you (saw that on Roy/Molson Rumour Thread). Is his books credible. Few months ago, I read one about Michael Jackson.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004

The Nellie McClung book I linked, I read in two stittings (rare for me), very well written.

I finished the Christa Schroeder book, some interesting stuff from someone who was close by to alot of the major décisions of the third reich. including alot of insight into Hitler. Valkyrie didn`t succeed as intended but Hitler eventually got pretty sick (digestive problems) no doubt aided by the attempts on his life.

I have a Traudl Junge book, haven`t read it yet. She was one of the younger secretaries of Hitler. That movie does look interesting, was actually looking at it today.

I have started a new book, Road Trip Rwanda. Pretty sad, going over the 1994 genocide (~a million murdered in about 100 days) Sounds like they have made an impressive recovery though. Another well written book (so far).

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Concerning Ian Halperin, who's a friend of you (saw that on Roy/Molson Rumour Thread). Is his books credible. Few months ago, I read one about Michael Jackson.
Ian's a smart guy. Talented musician and writer. I knew him from decades ago when he started off in straightforward journalism, working with my brother and his friend Max. He found his calling in the gossip market with an unauthorized bio of Kurt Cobain (and other artists), but really hit the big-time with his book on Michael Jackson that included a paragraph predicting Jackson's death in six months. Six months later, Michael Jackson died, and Ian's book made the NY Times Bestseller list. It was mostly a fluke, but it was eerily accurate.

Is he credible? Maybe. He believes he is. He's like a trashier but sleeker Michael Moore, as concerned with whistle-blowing as he is personal branding. One thing I got wrong (my brother just corrected me this afternoon) is that Ian was always a huge sports fan. I only knew the artsy side of him.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
VICARS OF CHRIST by Peter de Rosa

Runner saw my post on this book in another thread and asked me to mention it here. Actually, he asked me to review it. I'll try but my reviews suck.

I bought the paperback in the late 80s and have read it 5 times. The last time about 2-3 years ago. It's full of juicy tidbits and salacious stories about the Popes over the centuries. Basically the book's theme is power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. When you read this book about the papacy you'll be convinced of that saying by Acton. HOWEVER:

Peter de Rosa is a former Jesuit. He left the priesthood but still has deep attachments to the church. Despite airing the Papacy's dirty laundry in public, the last third of the book is about Pope John XXIII and the Second Vatican Council. And he writes in glowing terms about that pope. As a former Catholic and an agnostic, I have to agree with him. For me Pope John XXIII is my pope and a great man.

I picked up the book years after I lost my faith. I was an altar boy and at the age of 14 completely turned against the church. At the time I viewed Catholics more or less like Americans view Muslims today. (And no I wasn't molested by any perverted priest.) Reading this book helped me to balance my point of view. The book reveals much that is corrupt and evil in The Church (any church for that matter) but it also reveals why so many good people are still committed to their faiths.

After reading the book I made peace with the church. I realized the problem is not with the Church. The problem is with us. As Solzhenitsyn pointed out, the boundary between good and evil doesn't run between you and me but within all of us.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Anyone that can recommend a couple of popular history books about Canada? I'm a bit of a history buff and have read lots of books about Europe. I have lived in the US for 19 years and become a dual citizen and I have watched a lot on PBS and have bought some Ken Burns documentaries on DVD and multiple books about US leaders from Washington to Nixon. Spanish history in the Americas. Now I'm interested to read about Canada ( I know some of it) and the pre Columbus history of the Americas?

Thanks

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Anyone that can recommend a couple of popular history books about Canada? I'm a bit of a history buff and have read lots of books about Europe. I have lived in the US for 19 years and become a dual citizen and I have watched a lot on PBS and have bought some Ken Burns documentaries on DVD and multiple books about US leaders from Washington to Nixon. Spanish history in the Americas. Now I'm interested to read about Canada ( I know some of it) and the pre Columbus history of the Americas?

Thanks

Start with The Black Book of English Canada :sarcasm::naughty:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Thanks
Did someone say the word ''history'' ? That's my bat signal ! :naughty:
Desmond Morton's "A Short History of Canada" is a great starting point. I read it a couple times as a kid, and I think it still holds up.
From there, Pierre Berton is probably the gold standard of Canadian historical non-fiction. Though he tends to write about some older and dustier topics : The National Dream and The Last Spike, Klondike, Vimy, The Invasion of Canada. All very good stuff .
For something fun, I highly recommend a couple graphic novels: Louis Riel by Chester Brown and Essex County by Jeff Lemire. Essex County is more of a culture study than an history book, but great nonetheless .

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I recently finished SPQR. As a self contained popular history of the Roman Kingdom/Republic/Empire I don't see how anyone could do better. If you're interested in the fall of the empire, this book doesn't cover it, but that's another debate on its own. Besides, for me, the more interesting question (and the more germane one to our own times) is the collapse of the Republic.

I was reading a book about the Abbasid empire, but lost interest. Moving on to something else now.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I recently finished SPQR. As a self contained popular history of the Roman Kingdom/Republic/Empire I don't see how anyone could do better. If you're interested in the fall of the empire, this book doesn't cover it, but that's another debate on its own. Besides, for me, the more interesting question (and the more germane one to our own times) is the collapse of the Republic .

I was reading a book about the Abbasid empire, but lost interest. Moving on to something else now.
You're reading some pretty advance stuff, I'm impressed ! As an historian I have a few issues with Mary Beard's approach but all in all she does good work. The collapse of the Roman republic was the subject of my major thesis so I can definitely agree with your sentiment !

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'm finishing Dr Robert Lustig's "Fat Chance" right now. My next 2 reads will be "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung, and Dr (psychology) Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos". That man is amazing.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I recently finished SPQR. As a self contained popular history of the Roman Kingdom/Republic/Empire I don't see how anyone could do better. If you're interested in the fall of the empire, this book doesn't cover it, but that's another debate on its own. Besides, for me, the more interesting question (and the more germane one to our own times) is the collapse of the Republic.

I'm interested in history period, and I have read a lot about Rome and its demise and since some of the barbarian tribes originated (it's fairly likely that the Goths did come from what is now southern Sweden, places like Gotland, Oster and Westergotland ) sacked Rome.

Thanks

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Did someone say the word ''history'' ? That's my bat signal ! :naughty:
Desmond Morton's "A Short History of Canada" is a great starting point. I read it a couple times as a kid, and I think it still holds up.
From there, Pierre Berton is probably the gold standard of Canadian historical non-fiction. Though he tends to write about some older and dustier topics : The National Dream and The Last Spike, Klondike, Vimy, The Invasion of Canada. All very good stuff .
For something fun, I highly recommend a couple graphic novels: Louis Riel by Chester Brown and Essex County by Jeff Lemire. Essex County is more of a culture study than an history book, but great nonetheless .

Thank you.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You're reading some pretty advance stuff, I'm impressed ! As an historian I have a few issues with Mary Beard's approach but all in all she does good work.

I'm not a student of history, so what I appreciate in Mary's work is that she does the business of properly reading historical texts for me. How strange an impression might I have come away with if I had just read Livy, Polybius, and The Conquest of Gaul? She stops every so often to say ''yeah, that's what they said, but here's a few reasons why we believe that's mostly bullshit.''

Do you have any specific recommendations for the late/fall of the Republic?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm interested in history period, and I have read a lot about Rome and its demise and since some of the barbarian tribes originated (it's fairly likely that the Goths did come from what is now southern Sweden, places like Gotland, Oster and Westergotland ) sacked Rome.

Thanks

Specifically the only sack of Rome she treats is by the Gauls in 390 B.C. The sacks of Rome and Ravenna in the 5th century are just mentioned as the book ends with the Emperor Caracalla granting citizenship to nearly all freemen of the Roman Empire in 212 CE. So if you're most interested in Late Empire you should look elsewhere.

But the book is just fantastic. Worth buying just for the further reading list, IMO.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not a student of history, so what I appreciate in Mary's work is that she does the business of properly reading historical texts for me. How strange an impression might I have come away with if I had just read Livy, Polybius, and The Conquest of Gaul? She stops every so often to say ''yeah, that's what they said, but here's a few reasons why we believe that's mostly bull****.''

Do you have any specific recommendations for the late/fall of the Republic?
The Roman Revolution by Ronald Syme would be high up there, it's a bit dated now but still essential reading on the subject in my book.
Rubicon by Tom Holland is a great vulgarization of the subject . Holland isn't an historian but he really put in a lot of work and effort.
The death of Caesar by Barry Strauss is great reading material too, he really goes in depth.

Last edited:

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
Just finished Origins by Dan Brown. Easy read but so so. Got a couple of new Guy Gavriel Kay books to dig into next.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Ian's a smart guy. Talented musician and writer. I knew him from decades ago when he started off in straightforward journalism, working with my brother and his friend Max. He found his calling in the gossip market with an unauthorized bio of Kurt Cobain (and other artists), but really hit the big-time with his book on Michael Jackson that included a paragraph predicting Jackson's death in six months. Six months later, Michael Jackson died, and Ian's book made the NY Times Bestseller list. It was mostly a fluke, but it was eerily accurate.

Is he credible? Maybe. He believes he is. He's like a trashier but sleeker Michael Moore, as concerned with whistle-blowing as he is personal branding. One thing I got wrong (my brother just corrected me this afternoon) is that Ian was always a huge sports fan. I only knew the artsy side of him.

I believe I saw some Scottish series on one of the Netflix/Hulu streamers about a hard drinking detective from Glasgow, have never read any of his books though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad